Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,345
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sophie has apparently died in an sudden accident in Athens?

Started by Misspent Boners, January 30, 2021, 11:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I detest twitter, the main reason being because of all the reactionary hysteria that goes on there...but I don't blame people for calling him out on a totally puerile joke when fundamentally someone has just died. His replies to everyone "unfollow then!" Just makes him seem like even more of a sad little man.

What a fucking month. I find it hard to narrow down my favourite artists or albums but if someone was to ask me for the sake of an easy life I think Ariel Pink and MF DOOM would be the first names out of my mouth.

And now one of my other favourite musicians does something massively insensitive and wankerish in regards to another of my favourites falling off a roof. I'm going to bed

offwhiteblack

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 31, 2021, 02:39:35 PM
I detest twitter, the main reason being because the all the reactionary hysteria that goes on there...but I don't blame people for calling him out on a totally puerile joke when fundamentally someone has just died. His replies to everyone "unfollow then!" Just makes him seem like even more of a sad little man.

What a fucking month. I find it hard to narrow down my favourite artists or albums but if someone was to ask me for the sake of an easy life I think Ariel Pink and MF DOOM would be the first names out of my mouth.

And now one of my other favourite musicians does something massively insensitive and wankerish in regards to another of my favourites falling off a roof. I'm going to bed

Completely agree with everything you've said.  The main point I'm trying to make is that Twitter is a fucking cesspool.  At best it irreparably narrows your focus, at worst it turns you into a Linehan-like ghoul.  RIP Sophie, RIP DOOM.  It's been a fucking horrible year for music so far.

BlodwynPig

Very sad. Not a fan of the music, but it did sound 'fresh' compared to a lot of stuff that has be lauded in the electronic scene(s) in recent years.

Cuellar

Yeah this is sad - I'd never made a concerted effort to listen to her stuff but whenever I heard it I was a fan.

Egyptian Feast

I hadn't encountered her music before but I'm listening to the album now and it's fantastic. Hugely inspiring too for an amateur producer, it's set my imagination off like nothing I've heard in a while. Shame it took something as awful as this happening to get my attention.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: offwhiteblack on January 31, 2021, 02:05:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's incredibly sad, an artistic career cut short like that.  All the same, though, the little pigeons on Twitter getting all flabby and outraged is hilariously funny, whatever the circumstances.

Yea being a dick about someone who's just died is really sticking it to those cunts on twitter eh

The Mollusk

The little pigeons eh. You sound like a bit of a little pigeon yourself. Coo fucking coo bitch.

peanutbutter

R Stevie Moore is a weirdo outsider who probably has some pretty atrocious opinions and I've found attempts to paint the likes of him and Daniel Johnston as kinda cutesy oddballs quite inappropriate. His tweet up there is absolutely tone deaf and his response to it is pretty lame, but I don't see anything about it suggesting he's any more or less of a cunt than anyone had any right to ever expect.

What's the "R-TN" in his name about?

McChesney Duntz

"Republican - Tennessee", presumably. (Thus completing the "joke" of him being "Senator.") I dunno - I have a lot of time for RSM as a recording artist, but have inured myself to the strong possibility that he's a noxious reactionary in real life. Oh well...

offwhiteblack

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 31, 2021, 04:39:25 PM
The little pigeons eh. You sound like a bit of a little pigeon yourself. Coo fucking coo bitch.

No, quite right - too much vodka and not having the instinct to stay the hell away from my computer led to my dumb posts with their bizarre word choices. Apologies.  I will take my leave.

The Mollusk

To be honest I was in a shitty place yesterday as well, I should have left it alone.

buttgammon

Honestly think Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides is one of my top forty or so albums of all time. It's something I've played incessantly since it came out, but listening to it in the light of her death is somehow magnifying things, to the extent that it's almost like hearing it for the first time again and getting that mind-blowing sense of newness.

jobotic

Never heard of her because I'm old and out of touch.

Had a listen to few songs last night, not all my bag but Is It Cold in the Water? and Just Like We Never Said Goodbye are fantastic.

Tried with PC Music (I know it's something else), really like a couple of Hannah Diamond songs but I don't know, makes me feel a bit...icky.

Cuellar

Quote from: peanutbutter on January 31, 2021, 07:40:53 PM
R Stevie Moore is a weirdo outsider who probably has some pretty atrocious opinions and I've found attempts to paint the likes of him and Daniel Johnston as kinda cutesy oddballs quite inappropriate.

Don't want to derail, but hold fire, what's wrong with Daniel Johnston?

Bronzy

buttgammon

Quote from: jobotic on February 01, 2021, 10:29:27 AM
Never heard of her because I'm old and out of touch.

Had a listen to few songs last night, not all my bag but Is It Cold in the Water? and Just Like We Never Said Goodbye are fantastic.

Tried with PC Music (I know it's something else), really like a couple of Hannah Diamond songs but I don't know, makes me feel a bit...icky.

I quite like PC Music in small doses but I'm not massive on it, and I think that's partly because she did similar things to the rest of that crowd, but did them much better.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Cuellar on February 01, 2021, 10:36:52 AM
Don't want to derail, but hold fire, what's wrong with Daniel Johnston?
Nothing, he died 2 years ago.

But when alone there was definitely a lot of people who viewed him as some kind of harmless childlike quirky dude but that really ignores the complexity of his situation.

Cuellar

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 01, 2021, 06:20:40 PM
Nothing, he died 2 years ago.

But when alone there was definitely a lot of people who viewed him as some kind of harmless childlike quirky dude but that really ignores the complexity of his situation.

Right fair enough, I don't know many people who really knew about Daniel Johnston to be fair, but the ones that do are keenly aware of his troubles. It was just the linking of Johnston with the cuntish tweet from R. Stevie Moore that made me think maybe Johnston was a massive cunt and there was something I didn't know about.

Anyway, been listening to Oil of Every Pearl's... today and it's very good isn't it. Love the angularity of it and its lyricism.

buttgammon

danwho9

Honestly when it comes to Ariel Pink I never had any time for him as a person (as much as I love his music) but RSM I genuinely expected better from frankly. Disappointing.