Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I Once Showed My Willy to Princess Anne

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 31, 2021, 11:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok, so I have a weird Rik Mayall memory. He obviously sings the thread title line in "I'm Evil" but I have a memory of him performing it at a Royal Variety thing, or something with royals in attendance, and when he sings that line he turns to the royal box and begins fiddling with his zip. My memory is of seeing that clip in a morning show sometime in the 80s, either the news or a breakfast show, before I had to leave for school. I can't find any evidence of it. Does anyone else remember this?

DrGreggles

It's from a charity gig.
Pretty sure it's on YouTube.

Thank you, but that's the, I think, Weekend in Wallop version. The one I remember was a different performance at somewhere like the London Palladium and there was a royal box. That version doesn't seem to be anywhere and I'm wondering if I'm misremembering something.

Rizla

The Nether Wallop version is the only one I've ever seen. It's possibly my favourite bit of Rik, he's just funny as fuck there.

There was a clip of him and Ade on (I think)  Saturday Live doing a 50s doowop type song )("Oh Gosh I'm So Lonely") which is another bit of prime Mayall musical magic, it seems to have gone from youtube?  I feel a hankering to knock up a Bad News/Keith Marshall/The 20th Century/Rik playlist

DrGreggles

That's the only one I'm aware of, but I assume Rik did it in his live show. Be good if that was out there somewhere.

non capisco

Yeah, the Nether Wallop one is the only filmed version of that routine I've ever seen. It was definitely featured on an early evening Denis Norden clip show around 1987/88 which was when it was the talk of the playground the day afterwards in my experience, it was all me and my mate Keith could bang on about for a day. Absolute comedy paradise for nine year old boys. Pretty sure there'd be a clip of it still doing the rounds if he'd actually made overtures to getting his lad out at the royals on a seperate occasion but happy to be proved wrong.

Quote from: Rizla on February 01, 2021, 12:08:18 AM
The Nether Wallop version is the only one I've ever seen. It's possibly my favourite bit of Rik, he's just funny as fuck there.

There was a clip of him and Ade on (I think)  Saturday Live doing a 50s doowop type song )("Oh Gosh I'm So Lonely") which is another bit of prime Mayall musical magic, it seems to have gone from youtube?  I feel a hankering to knock up a Bad News/Keith Marshall/The 20th Century/Rik playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJRLTGH1oU It's not the video but the audio exists at about ten minutes in.

Quote from: non capisco on February 01, 2021, 12:14:54 AM
Yeah, the Nether Wallop one is the only filmed version of that routine I've ever seen. It was definitely featured on an early evening Denis Norden clip show around 1987/88 which was when it was the talk of the playground the day afterwards in my experience, it was all me and my mate Keith could bang on about for a day. Absolute comedy paradise for nine year old boys. Pretty sure there'd be a clip of it still doing the rounds if he'd actually made overtures to getting his lad out at the royals on a seperate occasion but happy to be proved wrong.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking I must be misremembering it because it would be one of the most discussed comedy things from the era, but it's such a vivid memory.

Just found a different Youtube video of the Wallop performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJuaCs5lbwM

in the comments section there's this

QuoteDoes anyone have a link to the variety show (i think) performance when he sang this and Princess Anne was in the royal box at the time? I'd LOVE to see that again!

So there is someone else who remembers a performance of it in front of royals.

Twonty Gostelow

According to Wikipedia, Princess Anne was at the Royal Variety Performance in 1968 and 2011 only, and Rik has never done it anyway. Could have been some other televised charity thing but it doesn't ring any bells with me.

Chriddof

Might it have been the Comic Relief "Utterly Utterly Live" show from 1986? Staged at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London, before Red Nose Day was a thing. Princess Anne may have turned up for it.

No, it's not on the broadcast version of that. Rik does do a solo song, the "Do you like me..." one and then all of The Young Ones sing Living Doll with Cliff Richard.

Weird show that. It's the one with the Lenny Henry/Frank Bruno Romeo & Juliet sketch which went down in Comic Relief legend, also Billy Connolly, Pamela Stephenson and Gary Glitter do a sketch together and that most definitely hasn't been remembered fondly.