Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Creepy Thread V: All new standard creeps and mystery creeps

Started by BlodwynPig, February 01, 2021, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Some corkers I heard about recently thanks to the Unexplained Podcast. Checked on here and I don't think these ABSOLUTE CREEPERS have been discussed before - its always bloody Dyatlov (think I'll) Pass and Tamal Shud (not) boringness.

1. The Cindy Makepeace Stalker - short summary: is a woman's stalker and eventual killer HERSELF?!

2. The Hinterkaifeck murders - short summary: who slaughtered the incest-ridden farming family in Bavaria?

The first one is absolutely bonkers on all levels. A nurse in Canada marries a South African psychiatrist and years later they divorce. She then starts receiving creepy phone calls saying she will be killed, followed by notes to the same effect. The investigating officer moves into her apartment after things escalate and they begin to date on and off. She is brutally attacked (found on steps outside with ligature tight around her neck and no memory of the attack - needle puncture in arm). The cop moves out (!) and she moves in with her ex husband (the main suspect) for a while. I think she moves home but the phone calls and notes continue. She is then found in a park, unconscious with a stocking round her neck again and with no memory of the attack. She goes to a mental health facility for a few months and all is calm for a short while before the harassment begins again. She has a PI support her, he gives her a panic button and alarm in the house (various break ins have occurred over the years - seemingly without evidence of an intruder). The police it is Cindy who is "stalking herself". The PI is on her side. One night the alarm goes off and when the PI enters Cindy's house, she is on the floor with a knife stuck through her hand. Despite all this, she still lives alone, occasionally her friends stay over. On one of these occasions they are woken by Cindy saying there is a fire in the basement. There is evidence that a downstairs bathroom window has been forced (but from the inside!). She gets kicked out of the apartment and moves to Richmond. The panic button is pressed once more and the PI finds Cindy dazed and confused on the street, claiming a green van pulled up to her while she walking her dog and forced her into a van (there was a man and woman in the van). She hears some Afrikaans for "be careful" (her husband used to speak Afrikaans around the home). A police office finds drag marks at the location Cindy says she was abducted (before escaping). The police start to take things more seriously. Cindy goes for hypnotherapy and recounts a holiday with her husband to an island off the shore of Vancouver. Regressing deeper she recounts that her husband took her on a boat trip to a place she did not know and told her to stay in the boat as he went into a cabin by the shore. She eventually follows and discovers him with two dead bodies holding a cleaver. He threatens her and her family if she says anything and is forced to help dispose of the bodies. No evidence of this crime, let alone the cabin are discovered. The ex-husband of course denies everything.

Then in 1989, Cindy goes missing. Her car is discovered in a parking lot next to a mall. Her credit cards etc are found under the car and some blood is on the car door handle. The police visit the ex-husband who is very cagey, saying some weird things have been going on (seeing two men staring at his apartment who run away when they see he spotted them, bizarre phone calls about 'smack and downers' and a creepy voice saying 'Cindy is dead meat' - this obviously sounds like a woman pretending to be a man if you listen to it).

Anyway, two weeks later, Cindy's body is found close to a main road by a derelict house, her hands tied behind her back and feet also tied up. A puncture mark is on her arm and an autopsy reveal she died from an overdose of fluoroxamine / morphine ('smack, downers'?). There is a stocking tied tightly round her neck again. There is evidence that the body was moved post-mortem.

A tragic and horrifying case. I'm on the side that she was mentally unwell and had a dissociative disorder (the phone call must be her, the lack of evidence of other people being involved in the attacks/break ins). However, on the other side, witnesses in the vicinity of the crimes noticed strange men / a strange man watching in the darkness (standing in the garden outside her apartment). The police officer who moved in to her apartment also heard a few of the calls, apparently (no further notes on this). The ex-husband saw strange things too.

Could this have been an elaborate 'fantasy' - kidnap/stalker fantasy being played out by Cindy plus another/other actor(s)? Why was everyone (including the police) so laissez-faire. If I had been attacked a few times, multiple death threats, I would have moved countries, not stayed put or across the city - how did the 'stalker' know about these moves / other details (ex-husband? - well he was out of the country during one attack).

Baffling and intriguing.

As for the Bavarian mystery - join me, next week on CREEPY THREAD V.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, I was going to use this thread to point out that I've always had a thing for Anna Maxwell- Martin, but it just doesn't seem appropriate, somehow.

The Ombudsman

Pleased to hear of another Unexplained podcast listener!

The Cindy case was very bizarre indeed. I came to the conclusion it was probably all down to her, I think mainly when someone said the wrist ties could have easily been done by her given the positioning (or something to that effect). With all the strange people hanging about, I wonder if you notice this behaviour more when you are looking for it. I bet if I looked out the window all the time I'd see things that I could contribute to a 'larger plan' if I wanted that narrative. I should add that while I think she was behind it, I don't think it was all for attention or fuss, it sounded like she did believe these things were true.

Have you heard the one about the lighthouse? I can't remember what episode it was now or all the details, but that one was very odd too.

All in all, it's a very enjoyable podcast. I especially enjoy the ones that don't focus on some supernatural element.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Ombudsman on February 02, 2021, 11:07:25 AM
Pleased to hear of another Unexplained podcast listener!

The Cindy case was very bizarre indeed. I came to the conclusion it was probably all down to her, I think mainly when someone said the wrist ties could have easily been done by her given the positioning (or something to that effect). With all the strange people hanging about, I wonder if you notice this behaviour more when you are looking for it. I bet if I looked out the window all the time I'd see things that I could contribute to a 'larger plan' if I wanted that narrative. I should add that while I think she was behind it, I don't think it was all for attention or fuss, it sounded like she did believe these things were true.

Have you heard the one about the lighthouse? I can't remember what episode it was now or all the details, but that one was very odd too.

All in all, it's a very enjoyable podcast. I especially enjoy the ones that don't focus on some supernatural element.

Thanks Ombudsman - I guess with all the Covid stuff, CaB has lost its appetite for the strange, so pleased to see a reply.

I am working through the episodes slowly now and will dig out the lighthouse one.

Mundanity is stranger than fiction - if indeed she did it, the truth is probably very mundane (as mundane as mental health issues could be, that is). Very sad story in any case.

The Ombudsman

Mundanity is stranger than fiction - if indeed she did it, the truth is probably very mundane (as mundane as mental health issues could be, that is). Very sad story in any case.

It is indeed. To me that's what makes those sorts of stories so interesting. Nice to know there is another fan on the boards.

Do you think it was her all along? I suppose it could be some sort of induced psychosis whereby someone was very easily able to lead her into taking these actions. Have you heard of the Swedish twin sisters case where they met up in London, went a bit weird and ended up running across a motorway? That was bizarre too, especially some of the events that followed.

Edit to link to the Lighthouse episode : http://www.unexplainedpodcast.com/episodes/2016/5/6/episode-8-when-the-light-fades

bgmnts

The Hinterkaifeck murderer was a random mentalists I reckon.

Dyatlov Pass is always something that captures my imagination.

Ambient Sheep

Thanks for that post, Blodwyn, fascinating stuff.  (Read it late last night but was too bleary to comment.)  Tend to agree it was probably done by herself... auto-erotic asphyxiation plus massive attention-seeking?

I look forward to hearing the Bavarian story.

Funnily enough, I just saw this Twitter thread about the Dyaltov Pass incident.  An article in National Geographic claims to have solved it:

https://twitter.com/SquigglyVolcano/status/1354835324376133638

(TL;DR:
Spoiler alert
Freak avalanche containing large icy blocks would account for the weird injuries; the only thing left unexplained is the radioactivity.
[close]
)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 02, 2021, 04:21:00 PM
Thanks for that post, Blodwyn, fascinating stuff.  (Read it late last night but was too bleary to comment.)  Tend to agree it was probably done by herself... auto-erotic asphyxiation plus massive attention-seeking?

Funnily enough, I just saw this Twitter thread about the Dyaltov Pass incident.  An article in National Geographic claims to have solved it:

(TL;DR:
Spoiler alert
Freak avalanche containing large icy blocks would account for the weird injuries; the only thing left unexplained is the radioactivity.
[close]
)

Thanks Ambi, one mystery put to bed. Often these mysteries, once solved, seem mundane (as I alluded to in my last post). The auto-asphyx theory is one I can buy into - and is less mundane. Troubled minds and the actions they elicit will never be mundane.

I'll write up the Bavarian one soon - it is probably better to listen to the Unexplained podcast episode as the narrator's style lends itself to unease and terror. He also doesn't hold back on details. The various youtube videos about Cindy either got the events in the wrong order or skipped over some of the stranger incidents (hypnosis, green van). Of course, there will always be missing info, which is why we have the internet sleuth phenomenon.

bgmnts

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 02, 2021, 04:21:00 PM

(TL;DR:
Spoiler alert
[close]
)

Aw how dull! My favourite theory was the one about the special mountain winds that drove you insane.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2021, 04:38:49 PM
Aw how dull! My favourite theory was the one about the special mountain winds that drove you insane.

Can you hear them calling, boyo, calling from Twmbarlwm? "Come through rain, come through sleet...atop my loins, there we shall meet"

*shudder*

Ambient Sheep

Actually, having now read the actual NatGeo article (rather than just the 28-tweet Twitter "summary") even the radioactivity is explainable:

QuoteThe state of undress some were found in remains puzzling (paradoxical undressing may be an explanation), as do reports that note some of the bodies had traces of radioactivity (which may be a result of thorium present in camping lanterns).

Weird that the same guy gives an explanation in his article, then says it's a mystery in his Twitter thread that links to it.  An Unexplained Mystery!!

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 02, 2021, 04:45:16 PM
Actually, having now read the actual NatGeo article (rather than just the 28-tweet Twitter "summary") even the radioactivity is explainable:

Weird that the same guy gives an explanation in his article, then says it's a mystery in his Twitter thread that links to it.  An Unexplained Mystery!!

Would thorium in lamps be enough to cause alarm/concern? I don't know too much about it but would have thought it would be too small a dose to get any reading that would trigger alarm bells. I guess if it was enclosed in a tent it would be breathed in, but still. I thought perhaps it might have been near a test site or something.

Ambi, if I remember from old you are tech minded. Wondered if you had heard this story : https://web.mit.edu/jemorris/humor/500-miles I was reminded of it thinking about how most bizarre events have a very dull explanation.

Looking forward to the next instalment on this thread. I love these sorts of things.

BlodwynPig

The Hinterkaifeck Murders

(searching for images, I saw The (bloody) Sun had an article on this and really dampened the appeal of the story now. Fucking scum)

Anyway, I'm writing these from memory of the podcast as a) it allows room for others to investigate/interject and b) is easier than re-researching.

The story starts in the late 19th Century. A farm in a remote part of the Bavarian countryside is occupied by a couple and their two daughters. The elder daughter is repeatedly raped by the father for (seemingly) years. Eventually the rumours reach the ears of prominent locals in the nearby town and there is a trial. Both the father and daughter are found guilty of incest, with the father being sent down for a few years and the daughter for a year. After she leaves prison, she gives birth - ostensibly by the son of a neighbour, but potentially the father is her father (she was pregnant when entering prison and served I think 6 months, so the timeline works out). When the father gets out, the family remain tight knit with the daughter marrying the neighbour's son. However, he goes off to fight in WW1 and dies (I think in Belgium). Apparently the father is still raping his daughter and another child is born (although I believe the daughter was in another relationship with a local at the time).

Around this period, the family begin to experience unsettling events in the house (noises in the attack, a newspaper appearing out of the blue that was not delivered by the postman, footprints in the snow that lead into the forest). Their housemaid leaves in a rush and a replacement is found. The day after the new housemaid arrives, there is silence around the farm. In the following days, several visitors arrive and see no sign of the family. This is waved away by most - "working the fields". A few days later, a local (perhaps the new lover of the daughter) arrives to do some work. Seeing no-one about he goes to the workshop and notices the door is open. Beside that he sees nothing odd. He sends two younger boys (nephews?) into the barn to check on the animals. In their they find the corpse of the father. Men are called from the village and they soon discover more bodies buried underneath the father - the wife, daughter and granddaughter. Another body (son?) is found partially hidden by a pile of hay (photo is online). All bodies are horribly mutilated. The father of the latest child rushes to the house and inside discovers the body of his infant son inside a pram - his face smashed to pieces and the body of the new maid is similarly found under her bed.

Investigators arrive and question everyone. They note evidence of someone living in the house for the past week since the last sighting of the family. Food eaten, animals fed. The father of the dead child is suspected as he was known to have stayed in the house the night the bodies were discovered (before the police came). But he said he was ensuring no-one interfered with the crime scene where his son was killed.

A murder weapon (Mattock) was eventually found, but no evidence to convict anyone. Eventually the farm was torn down.

There have been many suspects over the years - usually local 'brothers' (of which there were many) who had been in trouble elsewhere. A fire was seen burning the night the new maid arrived, by a local who was passing at night. He said he saw a strange figure approach him, but was blinded by the lantern and made a hasty retreat home.

Other theories are that the father of the dead child was responsible - knowing that the family had lots of money in the house - but only a small fraction appeared missing from the amount alleged to be kept on the estate. The man who went off to war and 'died' was also suspected - a revenge story (the incest and 'sin' of this eliciting psychopathy in the soldier, maddened by the horrors of war). Investigation and witnesses were coming forward even up until the 1980s, but it is unlikely now that a satisfactory conclusion will be found.

So, a fairly prosaic tale - but I urge you to listen to the podcast for the 'atmosphere' that evokes an almost paranormal dread as you are delivered deep into turn of the 20th Century remote Bavaria.

C_Larence

I remember reading a true locked room mystery about (I believe) a woman who was murdered in (I believe) her house in (I believe) London, but I can't find anything online other than Isidore Fink, which I don't think is the story I'm thinking of, any ideas?

bgmnts

Why is that rag writing about a hundred year old murder mystery in Germany?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2021, 07:28:51 PM
Why is that rag writing about a hundred year old murder mystery in Germany?

I may be a twit but I ain't a rag.*

*could be News Corp Bot Scrapers - taking all information from the web and packaging it into The Sun.

google - "How do I get kelp stains out of beige slacks"

The Sun - "Area Mom explains how to get kelp stains out of beige pants"

PlanktonSideburns

can i pre-emptivley ask people not to post pictures of corpses or tied up people about to be lobbed in a ditch,

theres always one that comes sailing in from r/frighteningpasta or whatever, temporarily immune to the the logic of morality.

lets keep it creepy, keep it from being cunt.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 02, 2021, 08:50:27 PM
can i pre-emptivley ask people not to post pictures of corpses or tied up people about to be lobbed in a ditch,

theres always one that comes sailing in from r/frighteningpasta or whatever, temporarily immune to the the logic of morality.

lets keep it creepy, keep it from being cunt.

no corpse shots here?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 02, 2021, 08:51:38 PM
no corpse shots here?

i mean its just a request,

last time i seem to recall some 'last photo before the body was discovered' type stuff, which seemed a bit much for my trifflypuffosity

The Dog

Accidentally dialled the wrong zoom number at work and got through to this weird laboratory full of men in biohazard suits surrounding a heavily restrained gruffalo.  Now I'm wondering exactly what our business model is.

Tried redialling the number but it never worked after that.

flotemysost

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 02, 2021, 06:50:58 PM

I thought the first woman (second human from the left, in a long skirt) was headless at first, but I think she's just got white hair and a small face. Brix shat.

I haven't listened to much of the Unexplained podcast, but the book was a good holiday read a couple of years ago. With stuff like this I sometimes find I have to go back a few paragraphs and re-read just to make sure I understand all the details, so in a way I find it easier to follow in text. The host has a very relaxing voice though, from what I remember.

flotemysost

Quote from: The Dog on February 02, 2021, 09:49:37 PM
Accidentally dialled the wrong zoom number at work and got through to this weird laboratory full of men in biohazard suits surrounding a heavily restrained gruffalo.  Now I'm wondering exactly what our business model is.

Tried redialling the number but it never worked after that.

The details of the story in this post were different when I saw it the first time.

Really fucking freaking out now guys

BlodwynPig

Yes, but I hate podcast adverts - they all have the same rhythm and tone, no matter who the host. So cringeworthy hearing this guy flogging organic meals in a box.

Another podcast I recommend (its brilliant but the narrator's voice is even odder, like a slow motion stutter, or a man chasing a breath) is Oddcast. His reading of Leiningen Versus the Ants is sublime.

Phil_A

Sam The Sandown Clown

This is such a weird little story that logic tells me is definitely bullshit, for any number of reasons (mainly that an article in an obscure homemade UFO newsletter is the only source and absolutely nothing in it is verifiable) - but some of the details are so specific and strange that it's kind-of haunting.

QuoteIn the spring of 1973, two children had a run in with an inexplicable clown-like entity that eerily beckoned to them from beneath a bridge and managed to lead them into what some have speculated was an alternate dimension.

At about 4:00 pm. on the day in question a 7 year-old girl named Fay (a pseudonym) was wandering around the golf course with an unnamed male friend who was approximately the same age. The duo were exploring the nooks and hills of this great expanse when they were both startled by a sound that they compared to the wail of an ambulance siren in the distance.

The young children filled with both natural curiosity and the sense of invulnerability that comes before a dawning awareness of their own mortality, swiftly set out to locate and identify the source of the hauntingly repetitive monotone screech.

These fledgling explorers pushed through the thick hedgerow and made their way to a swampy pasture which was adjacent to the oft abandoned Sandown Airport. The moment Fay and her companion came into the clear the intermittent shrieking ceased.

Not content to forgo this mystery without at least a cursory search of the area, the two intrepid investigators pressed forward, looking for any sign of the thing that had made so startling a noise. As the pair crossed over a wooden footbridge that traversed a narrow creek they experienced the shock of their young lives.

Without warning a large, three fingered hand clad in what appeared to be a blue glove emerged from beneath the bridge and urged the youngsters to come forward. The kids, seemingly more curious than they were concerned, did not run away, but stared in astonishment as an utterly unbelievable, humanoid figure arose from beneath the bridge.

The first publicized description of this unique entity was circulated in the British UFO Research Association's Journal, Vol. 6, No. 5, January/February 1978, in an article by Norman Oliver titled: "Report-Extra! Ghost or Spaceman '73?"

In it, Oliver reported what the children had claimed to have seen emerging from under the old wooden bridge:

"HE WAS NEARLY SEVEN FEET TALL AND HAD NO NECK, FOR HIS HEAD APPEARED TO BE WEDGED STRAIGHT ONTO HIS SHOULDERS. HE WORE A YELLOW, POINTED HAT, WHICH INTERLOCKED WITH THE RED COLLAR OF A TATTERED GREEN TUNIC. A ROUND, BLACK KNOB WAS AFFIXED TO THE TOP OF HIS HAT AND WOODEN ANTENNAE WERE ATTACHED EITHER SIDE."

Oliver went on to explicitly describe the odd entities stoic facial features:

"THE FACE HAD TRIANGULAR MARKINGS FOR EYES, A BROWN SQUARE OF A NOSE AND MOTIONLESS YELLOW LIPS. OTHER ROUND MARKINGS WERE ON HIS PAPER-WHITE CHEEKS AND A FRINGE OF RED HAIR FELL ONTO HIS FOREHEAD. WOODEN SLATS PROTRUDED FROM HIS SLEEVES AND FROM BELOW HIS WHITE TROUSERS."

At this moment of what may well have been first contact between the human race and a being of unknown origin, the creature did something uncannily clownish; he began fumbling a book that he had been holding, dropping it into the water below.

Fay and her cohort watched this erratic, clown-like being as it almost comically splashed around in the creek in an attempt to retrieve the book. After he salvaged his tome, the entity leapt out of the water and moved away from the children employing a high-kneed, hopping gait, not unlike that of an astronaut moving about on the lunar surface.

Within moments, the being disappeared inside what looked to the school children to be a small windowless, metallic hut comparable to those used in construction sites. The perplexed kids simply stared at the structure for a bit, then decided it was time to leave.

When they were about 150-feet away from the structure, the entity reemerged; this time holding a device with resembled a black-knobbed microphone with a white flex attached to a small box that apparently served as an amplifier. According to Oliver:

"THE WAILING NOISE IMMEDIATELY RETURNED, THIS TIME BEING SO LOUD THAT THE BOY WAS SCARED AND BEGAN TO RUN AWAY."

Fay turned and was about to follow her friend when the screeching sound faded. The mechanized clown began to speak into the microphone. The pair would later claim that they heard his voice with perfect clarity as it asked them a seemingly obvious question:

"ARE YOU STILL HERE?"

The boy stopped running and he and Fay came to the conclusion that this clown-like creature's voice had a friendly, non-threatening tone. Once again the kids' curiosity usurped their better judgment and, proving that they would have been prime candidates for "stranger danger" training, they started back toward eccentric entity.

At this point the clown-like being raised his presumably still moist book, opened it, and in a large, childish scrawl wrote a message. The boy was wary, but Fay cautiously approached the clown creature and inspected the writing. As the chaotic sequence of words was in no conventional order, Fay read each one as the thing pointed to it. The message read:

"HELLO AND I AM ALL COLORS, SAM."

Seeing as Fay had not been harmed by the unusual visitor, the boy gained the pluck to join her next to the looming figure. The children then learned that the creature named Sam was able to talk without the aid of a microphone.

The kids were fascinated by the being's ability to talk without moving its lips. Fay would state that even though the thing was able to speak perfect English the sounds it made were distorted rather like an individual who was incapable of opening their mouth properly... or perhaps a creep hiding behind a wooden mask.

The children began to feel comfortable enough to start asking questions. Caught on appearances, as kids often are, they duo asked the being why his clothes were all torn. Sam replied that they were the only clothes that he had available.

Fay, fixated on the humanoid's strangely immobile features and paper white skin, mustered the courage to ask Sam if he was human. His reply was simply "no." Anxious about his status as a paranormal entity, they then asked Sam if he was a ghost. The strange being replied:

"WELL, NOT REALLY, BUT I AM IN AN ODD SORT OF WAY."

Quick on her feet the kids retorted: "What are you then?" Sam vaguely replied: "You Know" adding no further explanation.

The Dog

Quote from: flotemysost on February 02, 2021, 10:03:54 PM
The details of the story in this post were different when I saw it the first time.

Really fucking freaking out now guys

Be careful, it's a very creepy story. If you stare at it for too long you might lose your mind.

Icehaven

Quote from: Phil_A on February 02, 2021, 10:51:07 PM
Sam The Sandown Clown

This is such a weird little story that logic tells me is definitely bullshit, for any number of reasons (mainly that an article in an obscure homemade UFO newsletter is the only source and absolutely nothing in it is verifiable) - but some of the details are so specific and strange that it's kind-of haunting.

In the spring of 1973, two children had a run in with an inexplicable clown-like entity that eerily beckoned to them from beneath a bridge and managed to lead them into what some have speculated was an alternate dimension.

At about 4:00 pm. on the day in question a 7 year-old girl named Fay (a pseudonym) was wandering around the golf course with an unnamed male friend who was approximately the same age. The duo were exploring the nooks and hills of this great expanse when they were both startled by a sound that they compared to the wail of an ambulance siren in the distance.

The young children filled with both natural curiosity and the sense of invulnerability that comes before a dawning awareness of their own mortality, swiftly set out to locate and identify the source of the hauntingly repetitive monotone screech.

These fledgling explorers pushed through the thick hedgerow and made their way to a swampy pasture which was adjacent to the oft abandoned Sandown Airport. The moment Fay and her companion came into the clear the intermittent shrieking ceased.

Not content to forgo this mystery without at least a cursory search of the area, the two intrepid investigators pressed forward, looking for any sign of the thing that had made so startling a noise. As the pair crossed over a wooden footbridge that traversed a narrow creek they experienced the shock of their young lives.

Without warning a large, three fingered hand clad in what appeared to be a blue glove emerged from beneath the bridge and urged the youngsters to come forward. The kids, seemingly more curious than they were concerned, did not run away, but stared in astonishment as an utterly unbelievable, humanoid figure arose from beneath the bridge.

The first publicized description of this unique entity was circulated in the British UFO Research Association's Journal, Vol. 6, No. 5, January/February 1978, in an article by Norman Oliver titled: "Report-Extra! Ghost or Spaceman '73?"

In it, Oliver reported what the children had claimed to have seen emerging from under the old wooden bridge:

"HE WAS NEARLY SEVEN FEET TALL AND HAD NO NECK, FOR HIS HEAD APPEARED TO BE WEDGED STRAIGHT ONTO HIS SHOULDERS. HE WORE A YELLOW, POINTED HAT, WHICH INTERLOCKED WITH THE RED COLLAR OF A TATTERED GREEN TUNIC. A ROUND, BLACK KNOB WAS AFFIXED TO THE TOP OF HIS HAT AND WOODEN ANTENNAE WERE ATTACHED EITHER SIDE."

Oliver went on to explicitly describe the odd entities stoic facial features:

"THE FACE HAD TRIANGULAR MARKINGS FOR EYES, A BROWN SQUARE OF A NOSE AND MOTIONLESS YELLOW LIPS. OTHER ROUND MARKINGS WERE ON HIS PAPER-WHITE CHEEKS AND A FRINGE OF RED HAIR FELL ONTO HIS FOREHEAD. WOODEN SLATS PROTRUDED FROM HIS SLEEVES AND FROM BELOW HIS WHITE TROUSERS."

At this moment of what may well have been first contact between the human race and a being of unknown origin, the creature did something uncannily clownish; he began fumbling a book that he had been holding, dropping it into the water below.

Fay and her cohort watched this erratic, clown-like being as it almost comically splashed around in the creek in an attempt to retrieve the book. After he salvaged his tome, the entity leapt out of the water and moved away from the children employing a high-kneed, hopping gait, not unlike that of an astronaut moving about on the lunar surface.

Within moments, the being disappeared inside what looked to the school children to be a small windowless, metallic hut comparable to those used in construction sites. The perplexed kids simply stared at the structure for a bit, then decided it was time to leave.

When they were about 150-feet away from the structure, the entity reemerged; this time holding a device with resembled a black-knobbed microphone with a white flex attached to a small box that apparently served as an amplifier. According to Oliver:

"THE WAILING NOISE IMMEDIATELY RETURNED, THIS TIME BEING SO LOUD THAT THE BOY WAS SCARED AND BEGAN TO RUN AWAY."

Fay turned and was about to follow her friend when the screeching sound faded. The mechanized clown began to speak into the microphone. The pair would later claim that they heard his voice with perfect clarity as it asked them a seemingly obvious question:

"ARE YOU STILL HERE?"

The boy stopped running and he and Fay came to the conclusion that this clown-like creature's voice had a friendly, non-threatening tone. Once again the kids' curiosity usurped their better judgment and, proving that they would have been prime candidates for "stranger danger" training, they started back toward eccentric entity.

At this point the clown-like being raised his presumably still moist book, opened it, and in a large, childish scrawl wrote a message. The boy was wary, but Fay cautiously approached the clown creature and inspected the writing. As the chaotic sequence of words was in no conventional order, Fay read each one as the thing pointed to it. The message read:

"HELLO AND I AM ALL COLORS, SAM."

Seeing as Fay had not been harmed by the unusual visitor, the boy gained the pluck to join her next to the looming figure. The children then learned that the creature named Sam was able to talk without the aid of a microphone.

The kids were fascinated by the being's ability to talk without moving its lips. Fay would state that even though the thing was able to speak perfect English the sounds it made were distorted rather like an individual who was incapable of opening their mouth properly... or perhaps a creep hiding behind a wooden mask.

The children began to feel comfortable enough to start asking questions. Caught on appearances, as kids often are, they duo asked the being why his clothes were all torn. Sam replied that they were the only clothes that he had available.

Fay, fixated on the humanoid's strangely immobile features and paper white skin, mustered the courage to ask Sam if he was human. His reply was simply "no." Anxious about his status as a paranormal entity, they then asked Sam if he was a ghost. The strange being replied:

"WELL, NOT REALLY, BUT I AM IN AN ODD SORT OF WAY."

Quick on her feet the kids retorted: "What are you then?" Sam vaguely replied: "You Know" adding no further explanation.

Sounds exactly like a dream.

Paul Calf

I never realised that Ted The Caver was the first ever Creepypasta. It's definitely worth a listen/read if you've never heard/read it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zauWt2WxL2o

The Dog

Funny you should say that, I had another creepy experience in a cave. As a child I went caving with a couple of guides as part of a school trip. Not super dangerous caves or anything, but not show caves either. Had to wear head lamps, go through deep water, and do some crawling in a few places.

Anyway, we'd been going for about an hour or so, getting deeper all the time. At those depths there's no natural light at all, its really incredible how dark it gets. We round this tight bend in the cave and suddenly we're face-to-face with a man, thin, over 6' tall with long straggly hair and a hollow sunken face, standing there in the pitch black with no light or torch of any kind.

Before anyone could react he just starts screeching 'TICKETS PLEASE! TICKETS PLEASE! TICKETS PLEASE!' over and over again. And we're all frozen with shock, not knowing what to do, and then Jason Mullins reaches into his pocket and takes out an old bus ticket. He hands it to the man, and his hand was shaking while he did this, who grabs it and runs off into the dark cackling.

Chills me to think about who that might have been, and how he was able to see in the dark. I can still remember his black vacant eyes and his long, dirty fingernails as he grabbed the bus ticket. Also he was wearing an EMF t-shirt because it was the nineties.