Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

South African varient found in community in parts of UK

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 01, 2021, 01:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteUrgent testing for the South Africa variant of coronavirus is beginning in parts of England, after cases were found with no known links to travel or previous cases.

People in certain neighbourhoods in Surrey, London, Kent, Hertfordshire and Walsall are being asked to take tests whether they have symptoms or not.

Previous cases in the UK were traced back to South Africa.

Random checks on positive Covid tests identified cases caused by the variant

Public Health England has been testing 5% of all positive cases....

It is not known exactly how many cases have been identified, although the numbers are small.

In the Surrey town of Woking, there are two cases, while in Ealing there is just one.

This is very concerning, but it's good that they seem to being proactive for a change when they identify cases of the new variant.

If they are only testing 5% of positive cases though, there could be cases of the South African variant in other parts of the UK.

Will they tighten the lockdown further in the areas where the South African variant has been found, or do more to restrict travel from abroad? Maybe they will just rely on the mass testing.

Hancock will be giving more updates later no doubt during his 5pm press conference.

jobotic

Local news saying there will be door to door testing in ME15 so must be cases in Maidstone.

Fambo Number Mive

I just don't know what to think any more. Just feels like more and more shit popping up.

Billy

Already some confusion online as to whether this is just a strong recommendation in these areas to be tested, or whether they're breaking down people's doors, pinning them to the ground and violently shoving the equipment into their noses and throats there and then, which will make for some fun videos ahead.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteIn the past five to six days, officials in England have identified 11 cases of the South Africa variant with no links to travel, the BBC has been told.

The affected postcodes are:

London: W7, N17, CR4
West Midlands: WS2
South-east England: ME15, GU21
East of England: EN10
North-west England: PR9
Adults in these areas are being strongly urged to come forward for testing - whether they have symptoms or not.

The government is sending in mobile testing units and will work with local public health teams, including carrying out door-to-door testing. About 80,000 people will be offered tests.

jobotic

Quote from: Billy on February 01, 2021, 02:16:41 PM
Already some confusion online as to whether this is just a strong recommendation in these areas to be tested, or whether they're breaking down people's doors, pinning them to the ground and violently shoving the equipment into their noses and throats there and then, which will make for some fun videos ahead.

Already some fuckwits on the local rag website making "they'll get a swab out of my cold dead nose" comments.

good times

It's unsettling how terrified the authorities seem of this variant vs. the others, and how they're keen to on one hand play it down while on the other forcing everyone within leaving reach of the cases to have a test...

Cuellar

Fambo Number Mive

According to Surrey County Council:

QuoteAs of 30 January 2021, 105 genomically confirmed cases of the SARS-CoV-2 variant which originated in South Africa (called VOC202012/02 in the UK,) have been identified in the UK.

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/people-and-community/emergency-planning-and-community-safety/coronavirus/surge-testing

mobias

I've kind of lost track of all these variants. I thought they were saying the vaccines were effective against the south African variant? Or is that a different variant or is it only certain vaccines? Its all so confusing.

Cuellar

Some bloody lad at the JCVI reckons the vaccines will probably be effective against this variant, but maybe not AS effective.

Anyway, he reckons

A real effort needs to be made to make a circle around it and then eliminate it, if that can be achieved. I think that's a maybe but it is definitely worth a try.

Which is encouraging, considering how well we made a circle around the original variant a year ago.

Fambo Number Mive

The only time they successfully managed to form a circle is "around the Prittster".

Jasha

QuoteThe affected postcodes are:

London: W7, N17, CR4
West Midlands: WS2
South-east England: ME15, GU21
East of England: EN10
North-west England: PR9

That's quite a geographical spread, must have been an Afrikaans long distance lorry driver

Mister Six

Quote from: mobias on February 01, 2021, 03:27:31 PM
I've kind of lost track of all these variants. I thought they were saying the vaccines were effective against the south African variant? Or is that a different variant or is it only certain vaccines? Its all so confusing.

Moderns and Pfizer "somewhat" effective against the SA variant (though it may need a third booster shot), Oxford-AstraZeneca test results still pending, I believe.

mobias

Quote from: Mister Six on February 01, 2021, 05:21:49 PM
Moderns and Pfizer "somewhat" effective against the SA variant

I was just reading on twitter there some stuff about it. It looks like they're worried that 'somewhat' effective becomes closer to 'not at all effective' if they allow the variant to get a foothold and continue mutating. 

Cuellar

Best way to keep track of all these variants is using this simple aide-mémoire:

Don't expect to go outside or do ANYTHING until at least this time next year

jobotic

Quote from: Jasha on February 01, 2021, 05:20:05 PM
That's quite a geographical spread, must have been an Afrikaans long distance lorry driver

Long Distance Klara

mobias

Quote from: Cuellar on February 01, 2021, 05:30:05 PM

Thats the gist of it. I definitely get the sense that scientists are worried that new variants are going to be one step ahead of the vaccine roll out. Its clearly been put to Johnson that he has to close borders completely to avoid importing new variants, so thats obviously exactly what he's not going to do. 

Fambo Number Mive

Looks like no tighter rules for areas where the South African variant has been discovered.

Hancock seems thinks that the new variant can be stopped altogether through mass testing.

gilbertharding

Ah. I live in a postcode which is adjacent to ME15, which might explain why I got a text this morning from the NHS saying "Book a regular COVID-19 symptom-free test today and help reduce the spread..."

I thought that they were encouraging symptom free tests in Kent anyway. I'm not doing it - I've managed to not leave the house except for extremely social-distanced walks for the whole of January, so I'm fucked if I'm going to drive to [wherever the fuck they're doing these things] to have a Q Tip jammed up my hooter. Knowing my luck, I'll catch it while I'm there.

Norton Canes

Can't they just get all the mutant strains to fight each other?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Cuellar on February 01, 2021, 05:30:05 PM
Best way to keep track of all these variants is using this simple aide-mémoire:

What?! BozJoz says "Pack yer bags!"

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Cuellar on February 01, 2021, 03:10:14 PM
I reckon it'll all be fine

With Boris sailing the ship, what could possibly go wrong? He does everything he can and along with our new Brexit super powers, we're bossing this Covd cunt.

steveh

The UK has now picked up more than one independently-evolved variants of the Kent B.1.1.7 variant with the E484K mutation that the South African variant has. This is the one that reduces immunity. It could be that having acquired the N501Y mutation it's an easier step to then getting the E484K one. With more vaccination and people having already had the virus there's extra pressure too so whereas before variants with increased transmissibility might win, those which can evade immune response to some degree might start to instead.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMs Donelan told BBC Breakfast that people in the targeted areas should be having a "conversation with their employer about making sure that they can work from home" and "limiting even more the time that they are outside of their house".

Is the government going to have a conversation with employers - not just in the affected areas but across the UK - about making sure everyone who can work from home is allowed to? Again it's putting the responsibility onto the least powerful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55898258

Quote80,000 Brits in areas with the new South African Covid strain have been warned to "think again" before going out to buy food, medicine and other essential goods.

A Tory minister said people in the affected areas must think carefully before doing anything outside their home - even if it's currently allowed under England's lockdown.

And if they've already "got enough in" their food cupboard, they should consider making do with what they have, Universities Minister Michelle Donelan said...

So no new restrictions, but further "advice" so they can blame people for not following new rules they won't enforce (although I don't see how they can enforce only shopping if you need to). Are ministers looking at ways to help supermarkets, smaller grocery shops and pharmacies in the affected areas increase the amount of online deliveries they can do?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/south-africa-covid-variant-people-23426102

jobotic

Quote from: steveh on February 02, 2021, 09:02:07 AM
The UK has now picked up more than one independently-evolved variants of the Kent B.1.1.7 variant with the E484K mutation that the South African variant has. This is the one that reduces immunity. It could be that having acquired the N501Y mutation it's an easier step to then getting the E484K one. With more vaccination and people having already had the virus there's extra pressure too so whereas before variants with increased transmissibility might win, those which can evade immune response to some degree might start to instead.

Fucking hell. So just as cases are going down and, on a personal level, my parents are about to get the vaccine, it's a waste of fucking time and another more lethal wave is coming?

How to stay sane? Just accept we'll never see the people we love again?