Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lettings deposit dispute, AKA give me my money you fucking awful cunts

Started by The Mollusk, February 01, 2021, 04:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: thugler on February 04, 2021, 07:00:06 PM
Congrats. My understanding is they try it on like this with every single customer, as many of them just won't have the time or inclination to fight it as well as you've managed to. The main fiddle always seems to be the 'professionally cleaned' business.

Yeah, in the biz they love to fuck about with cleaning disputes. As icehaven's mentioned, the rubber seal inside the washing machine door (and the detergent tray) are massive bugbears. I'd say 90% of washing machines I've inspected have pubes and mouldy gunk in the door seal. Occasionally you get a bit of loose change or a hair band. One time, I seriously found a 6" blue rubber dildo tucked into that rubber seal.

Thankfully at our previous place (well, I say "thankfully", I wasn't best pleased about it when we moved in) the place was only clean to a good domestic standard so we just cleaned it to the same level when we vacated. If you get a good inventory company (like the one I currently work for) you'll have cleaning summary notes at the start of the report so you can clearly see the standard of clean plus any of the major omissions specified, so you know exactly how to approach the cleaning when you leave. But even nowadays most inventories will hardly inspect stuff like greasy extractor filters or limescale on taps so it's a fucking no man's land of vague reportage and you end up trying to fight your word against theirs. This is why I always inspect properties to the absolute highest detail, it pains me to think of the agents we work for fucking people over based on my own failings. Yes, I know, I'm a hero. Save some celestial virgins for me, Captain Tom!

bgmnts

Get in.

Hope every single person involved in the attempted con gets aids.

kittens

moved into a house once with dog hair everywhere. there was a lady there hoovering but there was still dog hair everywhere when she left. we emailed the letting agents like 'dog hair everywhere lads'. they said 'it was professionally cleaned, you saw it'. they deducted at least 50£ for cleaning when we left, citing dusty lightswitches. our agent was a man whose surname was boyack and we all called him mr boyackasha.  we all said wore a nappy cos he had such a puffy ass and once i swear i saw his nappy above his trousers.

other time other agents tried to deduct half our deposit, so we drove up there and said 'we aint paying this' and they said 'righto' and gave it all. shifty fuckin cuns. literally kill them all.

Ferris

The winner in all these scenarios is the professional cleaner.

Charge a fortune because the agency takes it off the tenant, and be sure to do a shit job because the worst that could happen is kittens gets upset with the job you did but you still get paid lmao.

Marner and Me

Quote from: flotemysost on February 01, 2021, 06:47:27 PM
I expect there'll be even more of this than usual, after a year or so of widespread working from home/people spending more time indoors than they normally would - a higher degree of "wear and tear" is inevitable, and I'm sure plenty of people have tried to find little ways of cheering up drab, poky lockdown bedrooms (I mean, Christ forbid!) by putting up posters and pictures and the like.

Ironically that was the one thing I wasn't called up on in the checkout report - I'd put some pins in my bedroom wall last year to hang up a couple of framed prints just so that my magnolia dungeon was slightly less miserable, really piddling little things, nothing a slap of paint (which the disgusting walls badly could have done with anyway) wouldn't hide, but I'm sure others won't be so lucky.
My previous tenants put fuck knows what up on the wall, then when they'd taken it down they ripped the paint off with it leaving a 2m by 1 m patch. They then decided to cover the whole room in white wash so every time you touch it, it came off. Bastards.

Icehaven

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 04, 2021, 08:41:48 PM
My previous tenants put fuck knows what up on the wall,

Pictures. I'm going to guess it was pictures. The madheads.

kittens

landlords are not welcome in this thread or on this forum. this is clearly delineated in the rules. you can trust me on this as i was once a top 3 poster on this website.

earl_sleek

Quote from: kittens on February 04, 2021, 09:51:40 PM
landlords are not welcome in this thread or on this forum. this is clearly delineated in the rules. you can trust me on this as i was once a top 3 poster on this website.

What is your current ranking?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 04, 2021, 03:40:57 PM
Email received today saying they're returning the deposit in full. No quibbles, no deductions.

Don't fuck with me.

YES MATE

these sort of things make me so danm mad, this feels like how people must feel when one of their footballers makes a goal

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: kittens on February 04, 2021, 07:50:32 PM
moved into a house once with dog hair everywhere. there was a lady there hoovering but there was still dog hair everywhere when she left. we emailed the letting agents like 'dog hair everywhere lads'. they said 'it was professionally cleaned, you saw it'. they deducted at least 50£ for cleaning when we left, citing dusty lightswitches. our agent was a man whose surname was boyack and we all called him mr boyackasha.  we all said wore a nappy cos he had such a puffy ass and once i swear i saw his nappy above his trousers.

other time other agents tried to deduct half our deposit, so we drove up there and said 'we aint paying this' and they said 'righto' and gave it all. shifty fuckin cuns. literally kill them all.

he hasnt posted here in a while, - anyone heard from him?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 04, 2021, 08:41:48 PM
My previous tenants put fuck knows what up on the wall, then when they'd taken it down they ripped the paint off with it leaving a 2m by 1 m patch. They then decided to cover the whole room in white wash so every time you touch it, it came off. Bastards.

sorry mate, you need to give us 24 hours advance before posting in this thread

Ferris

Quote from: kittens on February 04, 2021, 09:51:40 PM

State of this

Marner and Me

Quote from: icehaven on February 04, 2021, 09:16:58 PM
Pictures. I'm going to guess it was pictures. The madheads.
I wish they'd taken better care taking it down then, as they'd have got their whole deposit back otherwise instead of shelling out to repair the damage.

Icehaven

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 05, 2021, 08:39:35 AM
I wish they'd taken better care taking it down then, as they'd have got their whole deposit back otherwise instead of shelling out to repair the damage.

Maybe they didn't care. Sometimes it's worth a few quid not to have to bother doing repairs or cleaning that's probably going to be redone anyway, let the landlord sort it out, it's their house.

The Mollusk

Some people give absolutely no fucks about getting their deposit back. It's usually rich entitled students, which London has in disgusting abundance.

gilbertharding

They're probably working on the mostly valid hypothesis that they might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

holyzombiejesus

As an aside, can anyone remember the guy who came on here saying he was going to be evicted and asking for help with his rent , and once we'd chipped in he fucked off and we never heard from him again? I don't think any of us actually wanted or expected our money back but I still came away feeling like 'd been scammed.

Dex Sawash

holyzombiejesus

Even deleted his profile. Was it ever revealed if he'd come on here solely to get money or was it just an unfortunate time for him?

Marner and Me

Quote from: icehaven on February 05, 2021, 09:14:43 AM
Maybe they didn't care. Sometimes it's worth a few quid not to have to bother doing repairs or cleaning that's probably going to be redone anyway, let the landlord sort it out, it's their house.
Cost them £400 in the end, I know I can't afford to throw away £400, can you? The cleaning, not that they did any, I would get done as I want to lease the property on in a condition I'd like to receive it in. Just a decent sort of thing a human would do.

Sebastian Cobb

I left one place a tip but it was a grimey student flat that we ended up renting for about 7 years, hadn't been refurbished since the 70's and the landlord explicitly said they were going to gut it before re-renting it anyway so fair fucks I reckon.

Zetetic

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 05, 2021, 01:12:15 PM
Cost them £400 in the end, I know I can't afford to throw away £400, can you?
I throw away the same amount of money every month obtaining housing services???

Dex Sawash

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 05, 2021, 12:52:38 PM
Even deleted his profile. Was it ever revealed if he'd come on here solely to get money or was it just an unfortunate time for him?

He had history and was well liked, probably why people helped him. Just stumbled on an el nombre post this AM searching for something or other. Probably asked Barry to nuke his job/money advice thread due to cross-platform user name or general wobble, I reckon. I hope he is well.

edit- didn't nuke account, just final thread
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=11022

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 05, 2021, 10:48:31 AM
Some people give absolutely no fucks about getting their deposit back. It's usually rich entitled students, which London has in disgusting abundance.

I think just students/young people in general dgaf. I remember we left our digs in Hereford in a right state, and even left without paying the really nice old man next door who had been paying our milk delivery costs (which I still feel guilty about) and then couldn't understand when our landlord wouldn't give us our deposits back. My Mum phoned him to complain and he shouted at her and hung up. Looking back, although he was a cunt of a landlord, he was well within his rights.

bgmnts

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 05, 2021, 01:12:15 PM
Cost them £400 in the end, I know I can't afford to throw away £400, can you?

Aren't you leasing a second home to someone?

Marner and Me

Looking at buying a second house, which I'd have to check my savings, I should be able to start the process at the end of the year. Tbf take away agency fees I probably get around £80 profit from the house I rent out currently.

bgmnts

Well if you don't buy the second house you can sound as many 400 quids as you want I reckon.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 05, 2021, 02:44:00 PM
Looking at buying a second house, which I'd have to check my savings, I should be able to start the process at the end of the year. Tbf take away agency fees I probably get around £80 profit from the house I rent out currently.

Plus you get the house don't you?

kittens

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 05, 2021, 02:44:00 PM

damn 80 quid a month for doing nothing, and two houses. that must suck :(

Marner and Me

Yeah it does, working hard for that... If I dossed around I'd be able to live at home and play computer games and moan on an internet forum about how life is unfair.