Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smart watch suggestions?

Started by Gurke and Hare, February 03, 2021, 12:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

I had a Pebble, but it stopped working and you can't get them any more. And the servers have been turned off anyway. So, what should I get instead to replace it? Things I liked about it:

API, particularly being able to create custom faces
Being able to read messages on the watch
Step counter, not bothered about any other fitness things
Music control from the watch

I use Android, so not an Apple watch. Any suggestions?

MojoJojo

How much you looking to spend? I got a Ticwatch Pro 2020. It's thing is it has a low power LCD screen, so you can check the time without powering on the main screen. Means you can get two days of battery life easily and weeks if you turn off the smart functionality, which is handy on holidays when you don't want to pack a charger.

With most Wear watches you have to choose between tilt to wake, which involves an annoying little pause every time you want to check the time, or always on, which means you only just get a days use out of the battery (i.e on long days you might run out).

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on February 03, 2021, 12:37:12 AM
I had a Pebble, but it stopped working and you can't get them any more. And the servers have been turned off anyway. So, what should I get instead to replace it? Things I liked about it:

API, particularly being able to create custom faces
Being able to read messages on the watch
Step counter, not bothered about any other fitness things
Music control from the watch

I use Android, so not an Apple watch. Any suggestions?

Try searching Zycbeautiful and TTVXO on AliExpress. They both offer refurb Pebbles. I bought an OG Pebble from Zycbeautiful for about £30 2 years and it's still going pretty well, although battery life is down to 3-4 days. I ordered a pebble steel from them about a week ago, too, because my  PT is also losing battery life.

The other key part of the equation is rebble, who have restored a lot of the server-dependent functions, especially for Android owners.

None of the newer generation watches seem to come close in terms of feature-set. My own must-have is turn by turn directions with big arrows on my wrist - I live in a big city in South East Asia, and ride a scooter. I keep an eye on the various Amazfit offerings - the Bip.battery life is pretty impressive - but they can only get text directions in a tiny font, via a clumsy workaround. If you don't need directions, though, take a look at Amazfit.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on February 03, 2021, 12:12:01 PM
Try searching Zycbeautiful and TTVXO on AliExpress. They both offer refurb Pebbles. I bought an OG Pebble from Zycbeautiful for about £30 2 years and it's still going pretty well, although battery life is down to 3-4 days. I ordered a pebble steel from them about a week ago, too, because my  PT is also losing battery life.

The other key part of the equation is rebble, who have restored a lot of the server-dependent functions, especially for Android owners.

Yeah, I was using rebble in the dying days of my pebble, but it seemed a bit shonky - I'd prefer something properly supported. I've also had not great experiences with refurb pebbles.

QuoteNone of the newer generation watches seem to come close in terms of feature-set. My own must-have is turn by turn directions with big arrows on my wrist - I live in a big city in South East Asia, and ride a scooter. I keep an eye on the various Amazfit offerings - the Bip.battery life is pretty impressive - but they can only get text directions in a tiny font, via a clumsy workaround. If you don't need directions, though, take a look at Amazfit.

Ooh, the Amazfit Nexo looks like a decent option, thanks.