Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Generic Dave Panel Shows

Started by vainsharpdad, February 03, 2021, 12:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Yeah well the problem now is that there are so fucking many of these panel shows that not even all of Avalons ubiquitous comedians can fill the roles so you end up with the slebs. Same rules apply though, just give them some of the stand up bits from one of the writers on the show or they bring their own tedious observations, either way it's a win from a production point of view.

And Claire Blading doing stand up couldn't be any worse than Josh Widdicombe, Jon Richardson or Rob Beckett, so I'd take it.

vainsharpdad

I would agree with that, but I really dislike Claire Balding, so...

I noticed Balding was on that Comedy Games Night hosted by Liza Tarbuck and the one Sara Pascoe hosted with John Kearns as her sidekick. Is she making a move into 'General celebrity' territory?

BritishHobo

It certainly doesn't compare well with something like Adult Swim, does it?

jobotic

Quote from: vainsharpdad on February 17, 2021, 12:52:46 PM
I shudder at the idea of Clair Balding's standup routine.

They've got Harry Redknapp coming up as a guest on this. He's a limited comedian - he only ever does that same bit as the cockney who talks through his car window.

You wait until he says "Sandra". You'll piss yourself.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on February 17, 2021, 07:09:08 PM
I noticed Balding was on that Comedy Games Night hosted by Liza Tarbuck and the one Sara Pascoe hosted with John Kearns as her sidekick. Is she making a move into 'General celebrity' territory?

Talking of Tarbuck, not strictly a panel show, but I used to enjoy watching between my fingers Without Prejudice. Five contestants have to pitch themselves and are set a series of challenges and moral dilemmas - some secretly filmed so they don't know it's happening (e.g. What do they do if they find a lost mobile phone in the back of a cab?). A panel of ordinary members of the public discuss their reactions and vote off one in each round and the eventual winner is awarded £50,000. Hosted by Liza Tarbuck. 

Mind you, because of the controversial nature of the game, would half the panelists and contestants have to go into hiding after each episode because of the ire of social media? Ironically, it was Twitter made flesh. I had an acquaintance on the show who wanted the money to transition but was dismissed after the first round. It got quite unpleasant if I recall. Hmm, maybe it would be just too incendiary to make a show like that today?