Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Andrew Lawrence is shit [split topic]

Started by Bronzy, February 03, 2021, 05:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzy

Sorry for resurrecting a long-dead thread, but I just came across this guy's Facebook. Fucking hell, he is so embarrassingly shit. His timeline currently just consists of 2-3 minute long character skits for Daily Mail readers that are so offensively bad that they really have to be seen to be believed.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Bronzy on February 03, 2021, 05:37:06 AM
Sorry for resurrecting a long-dead thread, but I just came across this guy's Facebook. Fucking hell, he is so embarrassingly shit. His timeline currently just consists of 2-3 minute long character skits for Daily Mail readers that are so offensively bad that they really have to be seen to be believed.

Yeah I mentioned them in another thread when I discovered them by accident recently. Proper tunnelling through the earth's mantle shit.

Petey Pate

He was good as Oli in The Thick of It decent in Ideal.

Dirty Boy

He's unbelievably shit.

He did one recently about the Marcus Rashford school meals thing with the 'shouty guy' all bellied up and clutching a packet of biscuits. Apparently the joke was that it's hypocritical to criticize the goverment when you're overweight and/or have access to food yourself as you could be sending it to the hungry kids. He's often making  similarly wrongbrained remarks about how you can't be against poverty unless you're poor yourself and anyway there is no poverty in Britain "you're just a lazy cunt".

I think he's a barmy prick, so yeah, consider me triggered i guess.

Recently had a look at what his spiritual twin Legend Lee Hurst has been up to and it seems to be mainly retweeting things about the new variant and hospital admissions and going "Ahahahahahahaha!" at them. Funny bloke.

mippy

His first R4 show was kind of anodyne, and so I was pretty surprised when he started on the 'loonie lefties free speech' tip.

I also think someone kind should have tried to dissuade him from doing songs in his second one.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 03, 2021, 01:25:35 PM
He was good as Oli in The Thick of It decent in Ideal.

"Ignore me"

I seem to remember Milk Run, his late night/early morning radio series, being pretty good. Like a less disturbing version of Blue Jam, with music bits done by Osymyso.

His missus left him, he then hooked up with an eighteen year old before sacking his agent. Then the right wing stuff started. All in the space of a couple of months iirc.

mippy

I do remember before he got well into the right wing stuff, he was complaining about how he works really hard and barely manages to pay the mortgage, and thought 'not only are you making an actual living out of being a comedian, but you're making enough to obtain and pay for your own home, jobs at Tesco are available if it's really that hard"

dissolute ocelot

He did seem to lean into the "posho comedian" thing for a bit before going full-on Farage. You've got to have a persona to be a successful stand-up, and I guess it's all a natural career progression, from telling jokes about poor people to wanting them all dead.

cyanidemint

I'm afraid to look it up, because I used to love the guy.

Has he moved on from the material he used to do, like in Milk run, What to do if you're not like everybody else, and How did we end up like this?
I thought those shows were excellent.

idunnosomename

didnt he do like weird creepy anti-comedy at first, that did quite well on R4? didn't think he was great then, of course now he is worthless pigshit

i almost started a thread about Andrew Doyle's latest pathetic comedy grift about how he'd been CANCELLED the other day, then realised I didn't want to give the unfunny cunt attention so closed the tab

ProvanFan

Remember that year on the fringe where he was airbrushed to fuck on his posters? Presumably to help get fans of your Russell Howards and Chris Ramseys in.

mippy

https://whatwentwrongwith.com/2017/08/04/what-went-wrong-with-andrew-lawrence/

I hadn't actually seen his Twitter account in a while, he seems to have given up the edgelordery in favour of posting unappealing videos. Good luck to him, eh.

idunnosomename

Nothing like being an edgelord but so little committed you have to put a cheeky smiley at the end to show it's just a joke really 😜

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: mippy on February 04, 2021, 03:20:45 PM
https://whatwentwrongwith.com/2017/08/04/what-went-wrong-with-andrew-lawrence/

Jesus, whoever wrote that is as high on their own farts as Lawrence was when he wrote that facebook post. (Soz, no reflection on you Mippy but that writer isn't someone I'd want to be left alone with in a pub)

This Guardian feature about him which appeared a short while before he went full fash offers up some hints as to what was to come.

At its best, standup is a forum for all the things that aren't being talked about but should be. A place where you can't be – or shouldn't be – censored. But of course, all standup on TV is heavily censored, and a standup who chooses to be on TV is compromising their integrity by allowing what they do to be edited, manipulated and conveyed on other people's terms.

There's been a lot of disingenuous and aggressive gender politics at play in the world of standup over the past few years that's been militantly censorious and damaging to the industry. The word "misogyny" has been bandied about in ignorance, in ways that could be described as at best absurd, at worst malevolent.

Still love that Lawrence had a whole documentary made about him and he was the least interesting contributor.

Mobbd

Quote from: mippy on February 03, 2021, 03:56:24 PM
His first R4 show was kind of anodyne, and so I was pretty surprised when he started on the 'loonie lefties free speech' tip.

Was that called There is No Escape? I listened to two episodes of that and it was quite poor.

I tried it because I liked the title and I'd heard somewhere that his character was Hancock-like. I suppose I was thinking "give him a chance, be fair" on some level too.

Fuck me, was it unfunny. It was reactionary (or maybe "normative" is the word) in a mild "women are like this and men are like this" sort of way. And generally just dim-witted and weak.