Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:46:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What does this sign mean?

Started by popcorn, February 03, 2021, 05:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Saw this sign today and I can't work out what it's supposed to mean.

This is a pavement next to a main road. The only places you could feasibly walk here are 1) on this pavement 2) the pavement on the other side of the road 3) in the road with the cars.

What is the alternative this sign is trying to encourage you away from? The road, with the cars? The other pavement? Why would encouraging everyone to use a single pavement instead of both help social distancing?

If it was telling you to use the road that would at least make more sense from a social distancing perspective, if not a traffic one.

I feel I must be missing something. If we can crack this sign we've cracked covid.

flotemysost

There are signs like that around London Bridge where they've sectioned off part of the road for pedestrians to use (i.e. so that the "pavement" is wider, to help enable pedestrians to distance - wisely, as it gets pretty busy, especially around the station and market) so I assume it's intended for a similar use, but is currently off-duty and just resting wherever it's been left?

Johnny Yesno

If that was in the road, it still wouldn't make sense. I'd be wondering why someone had left it there. Clearly, they should fire the signwriter and hire you in their place since this sign is lacking the quotes around the word 'pavement' which you remembered.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

There seems to be blobs of yellow paint on the footpath. Was this near a large shop or anything? Maybe it's intended to direct people to queue there?

thenoise

I guess the pathetic yellow splatters are the approved distance apart to help people to judge how far away their fellow humans are. The sign could be clearer.

buzby

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 03, 2021, 09:23:45 PM
There seems to be blobs of yellow paint on the footpath. Was this near a large shop or anything? Maybe it's intended to direct people to queue there?
The pairs of yellow stripes on the kerbs (though they have mostly worn off the kerbstones themselves) signify a 'No Loading At Any Time' zone, in conjunction with the double yellow lines (which means even people with disabled badges can't park on the double yellows).

The yellow square in the paving bricks in the upper right is a cover for a gas stop valve:

The actual signs are used to manage pedestrian traffic on narrow pavements - they don't want people walking in opposite directions on the same piece of pavement,  or where there may be premises with queues outside. They are being used on bridges in particular to make narrow footpaths on each side of the road 'one way', i.e. you cross in one direction on one pavement, and in the opposite direction on the opposite pavement (on the opposite side there would be a sign telling you to use the opposite pavement if you want to go in that direction)

Aaron500

That pavement looks plenty wide enough to me. Are we sure it's not an instruction for car drivers to use the pavement so that any pedestrians will scatter?

MojoJojo

Yeah, the sign is supposed to indicate it's a one way pavement, so you should walking in a direction where you face it. Would probably make more sense to have some arrows or signs telling you to use the other side.

Glad to see that hashers are active in the area the photo was taken.

dissolute ocelot

Could it be there because everyone was walking on the other side of the road? And they're supposed to look over, see all that empty space and the sign, and cross over and get hit by a bus.

popcorn

popcorn

Just scrolling through a Facebook community group and there's a post about this there too. Many others have also been baffled by this. Panic on the streets.