Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:54:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cryptocurrency Thread

Started by QDRPHNC, February 04, 2021, 12:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Amazingly, the DOGE is quite interesting tonight.

QDRPHNC

Hmm, Cardano sounds interesting. I have a bit of Litecoin doing FA, maybe it's time to switch it up.

Noodle Lizard

It's far too early to tell. I finally got in on the DOGE because of a work colleague who claimed they knew someone who knew it was going to skyrocket tonight. Seemed that way for a little bit, but now it's anyone's guess.

But I'm also holding $240 GME shares for similar reasons, so please don't trust me on quite literally anything.

ZoyzaSorris

Don't finally get into things, that's what I'm learning. It's too late. In and out quickly if you wanna have a chance of riding a wave.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 04, 2021, 07:58:33 PM
Loads of activity on ZRX which is 35% up in last 24hrs. Currently stand to make a cool, cool £2, don't all crowd round at once.

Edit, 43%

Further to the above, it went bezerk last night and although I had a little stake (£8) I made £6.50 by selling this morning. Can't imagine that will reflect an average day on the crypto though.

kittens

Quote from: Bence Fekete on February 05, 2021, 12:47:25 AM
Taking a look at Cardano (ADA). Basically an alternative to Ether created by one of the co-founders, but tweaked to avoid some of the problems Ether keeps running into such as expensive fees and hackability. I've never been much of a Vitalik fan anyway.

Just listening to an interview now, Charles Hoskinson, reminds me of what I liked about BTC back in the day. Proselytising about the unbanked/oppressed and that being the ultimate goal we shouldn't lose sight of. He sounds alright. Promising graph. I'm ALL IN

very cheap right now too. i got 50 for less than 20 quid. gonna go boom baby

Chedney Honks

I made sixty quid on DOGE in a few days. Should have held on longer I guess and might have made more.

No point beating myself up though because I could have 'made' ten times as much by not buying about thirty Blu-rays this month.

daimoniac

just took a punt in coinbase on a tenner in algorand and a tenner in stellar lumens - no idea what the hell im doing, but its not like im gonna end up owing anyone anything, is it?

MojoJojo

My initial £100 is up to £105 now.

Logically, I know that if I sell now, I'll have made 3% or so (after fees) in a couple of days. Which is crazy good - my saving account offers 0.5% a year. But that seems like a lot of faff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Looks like I tapped out on 0x way too early, price has doubled since.

katzenjammer

The DeFi coins all seem to be going a bit mental right now and Etherum just hit an all time high

kngen

Rode the AAVE wave again last night. Another gain of about 15%, but parked it in Bitcoin as I needed to get some work done, and I can't be staring at graphs all morning. Think that might be my strategy from now on. Do a bit of trading, then put it somewhere safe when I can't gawp at squiggly lines (but I can't help think I'm getting screwed on conversion rates)

Any idea what Coinbase takes for conversions, MojoJojo? It says 'no fee' but they must be weighted in some way, as my overall portfolio total takes a dip any time I convert.

kngen

Quote from: katzenjammer on February 05, 2021, 03:17:13 PM
The DeFi coins all seem to be going a bit mental right now and Etherum just hit an all time high

Apparently there's a new coin called rAAVE being launched on Monday, (I think). Think that's why all the DeFi coins are going nuts, esp AAVE, which rAAVE will be tied to.

Edit: Oh, and that Mark Cuban nob was talking them up. Not sure how I feel about taking financial advice from the guy that Russ Hanneman was based on, but I guess it's been pretty worthwhile so far.

MojoJojo

Quote from: kngen on February 05, 2021, 03:30:24 PM
Any idea what Coinbase takes for conversions, MojoJojo? It says 'no fee' but they must be weighted in some way, as my overall portfolio total takes a dip any time I convert.

It's up to 2% - the precise amount varies because of timing.

Quote from: katzenjammer on February 05, 2021, 03:17:13 PM

Yeah, DeFi seem a bit mad. Yearn.finance just announced they lost $11 million to an exploit. It's the second time it's happened to them, and while it's a loss to the company behind the currency rather than a loss to the currency, you'd expect a bit of a dip, but no, it's up.

Long term I want to invest in some Etherium but I don't want to buy at the peak.

Ferris

Up $14 now. Bought another $50 in ETH. I'm too big to fail.

🚀🚀🚀

kngen

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 05, 2021, 04:00:12 PM
It's up to 2% - the precise amount varies because of timing.

Makes sense - ta!

QDRPHNC

I just moved all my Litecoin over to Cardano.

As of yesterday, my initial crypto investment in 2019 has slightly more than tripled. 65% in ETH, about 30% in BTC and the remaining is a mix of Cardano, Ripple and a teeny bit of Neo.

Alfigator

Got in to it at the start of January. Treating it as money that is already lost. Would be up 5k if I cashed out now already! Mostly been buying Etherium and XRP

Sebastian Cobb

Traded £50 worth of BTC for 7 grammes of Stardawg am I doing this right?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 05, 2021, 04:47:48 PM

Yep, you're pretty much using it for its intended purpose.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 05, 2021, 04:47:48 PM

I don't know what this means but it sounds very cool so I'm going to say yes.

kittens

my disgusting nerd friend illegally pulled 1200£ out of his business and ploughed it in to cardano, and has now made a 700£ profit. he will go on to make more and more money in this manner and there is nothing stopping him. what kind of world is this that allows such dreadful things to happen.

Junglist

I punted £50 split between Ethereum, XLM and Cardano on Monday. I have £25 profit after a bit of wheeling and dealing. Rolling in fanny when I strut down the street.

Ferris

Quote from: kittens on February 05, 2021, 09:11:30 PM
my disgusting nerd friend illegally pulled 1200£ out of his business and ploughed it in to cardano, and has now made a 700£ profit. he will go on to make more and more money in this manner and there is nothing stopping him. what kind of world is this that allows such dreadful things to happen.

Delighted about this. Hope he rubs it in your face!

Bence Fekete

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 04, 2021, 05:54:06 PM
Can you only buy that with bitcoin? It isn't coming up and when I searched it recommends using Binance. Is that a better platform for this stuff? Revolut only seems to have a dozen available cryptos to trade.

I joined Binance last week. Seems to be the standard though it's far from perfect.

Straightforward enough to join / the usual faffing with ID etc. For more obscure coins like ADA you'll need to fund wallet with GBP, buy BTC on the market, then use that to buy your alt. Easy after a few swaps. You can buy some cryptos directly too but I've found this method a bit temperamental. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Bence Fekete on February 06, 2021, 02:13:56 AM
I joined Binance last week. Seems to be the standard though it's far from perfect.

Straightforward enough to join / the usual faffing with ID etc. For more obscure coins like ADA you'll need to fund wallet with GBP, buy BTC on the market, then use that to buy your alt. Easy after a few swaps. You can buy some cryptos directly too but I've found this method a bit temperamental.

Cheers

MojoJojo

I might give binance a go. I'm finding coin base's interface irritatingly vague. A simple graph showing the value held each currency over time would help a lot. At the moment it's a bit of an arse working out why my portfolio has gone up or down.

(I just said "my portfolio", what's happened to me?)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Still struggling with the bits where the currencies drop in value. Aren't we all supposed to be making each other rich? Ffs come on now lads.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: daimoniac on February 05, 2021, 10:26:47 AM
no idea what the hell im doing, but its not like im gonna end up owing anyone anything, is it?

This is a very good point. I still get chills down my spine when I think of some of the stupid decisions I made with options back in the day.

You want to see some bleakness, search for margin call on WSB. Basically the lender going "Yeah, you know those shares that we're both pretending you're going to buy until you sell the option? We're going to need you to go ahead and pay for those now actually. $200,000 please."