Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cryptocurrency Thread

Started by QDRPHNC, February 04, 2021, 12:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamfist

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 05, 2021, 12:16:51 PM
Is that after trading commission? Or are you on a commision free platform? You seem to be onto a very good thing if it makes $1 for every trade, doesn't sound much but that will soon add up.

I'm using FTX for the actual trading, and their fees are pretty low - typically 0-20 cents on each trade it does. The program uses their API to execute the orders, manages take-profit points, trailing stops and stop-losses itself. It'll probably shit itself in some black swan volatility storm, but I try to make the trades small and low-risk - just ratchet up little bits all the time rather than hang on and risk a loss.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: hamfist on May 05, 2021, 01:14:56 PM
I'm using FTX for the actual trading, and their fees are pretty low - typically 0-20 cents on each trade it does. The program uses their API to execute the orders, manages take-profit points, trailing stops and stop-losses itself. It'll probably shit itself in some black swan volatility storm, but I try to make the trades small and low-risk - just ratchet up little bits all the time rather than hang on and risk a loss.

You need help QA'ing?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Would it be fair to say that hamfist has created a guaranteed free money forever machine and that anyone can have it and if they had it they would definitely know what to do with close to zero programming experience? Cheers

hamfist

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 05, 2021, 01:43:32 PM
Would it be fair to say that hamfist has created a guaranteed free money forever machine and that anyone can have it and if they had it they would definitely know what to do with close to zero programming experience? Cheers

Well not quite, I will keep you posted on how it does though - I was curious to see if this was possible but I really need to see it weather some volatility storms and downhill markets. It doesn't use leverage or margin (no borrowing) - so it won't short, only long.

Quote from: Johnny Textface on May 05, 2021, 01:38:42 PM
You need help QA'ing?

I did backtest it on historical data, and ran it without really trading for a while. I also tested a pile of different trading ideas to see what worked best, but the most stable seems to be this one of identifying trend momentum from price position versus gradients calculated from linear regression of price data, and trying to ride it until it peters out. Initially I had it working on long and short and was trading crypto futures, but when I translated that to the real world it was unprofitable due to interest while shorting and me being uncomfortable with trading borrowed money. So I rejigged it to trade spot with no leverage or margin instead.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 05, 2021, 01:43:32 PM

Kucoin has some free trading bots you can use now, I haven't used them but they look good for when there is a lot of sideways action.

C_Larence

Quick shitcoin update. Put 0.02BNB ($12) on a coin called Donald Doge after I saw it get locked on the unicrypt wallet address. 5 minutes later it was worth 2BNB ($1200). I've cracked it!

PlanktonSideburns

any of you doge people preparing for LIFTOFF today?

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 08, 2021, 01:26:14 PM
any of you doge people preparing for LIFTOFF today?

Yeah, i got back in at 0.61 yesterday morning,  I thought the Elon tweet last night would pump it but it barely did anything

PlanktonSideburns

come on you total wankers make me some undeserved money

itsfredtitmus

Think I just lost all me money

I closed at 0.67, not feeling it.

Rizla

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 08, 2021, 06:26:58 PM
TEL
"Tel" me about it...mate hipped me to this last week, he lumped in just before it tripled in value. Of course I put my money on NEAR instead, which hasn't taken off in quite the same manner, we live in hope though.
Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 08, 2021, 08:56:26 PM
Think I just lost all me money
I do hope not, looks like it's climbing again?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Rizla on May 08, 2021, 10:50:11 PM
"Tel" me about it...mate hipped me to this last week, he lumped in just before it tripled in value. Of course I put my money on NEAR instead, which hasn't taken off in quite the same manner, we live in hope though.I do hope not, looks like it's climbing again?
Put 180 in from Monero because Monero gained me like 500 quid from 200 quid (that I bought for 8ths, to tell the truth) my friend assures me TEL constantly does this shit but I'm worried

itsfredtitmus

Whales n shit. God, should I have listened to his advice?

itsfredtitmus

All the crypto people keep saying TEL is gonna BOOOM next week and I hope it does lol

oy vey

Enjoy the pump and dumps, and god bless.*

Meanwhile, on infrastructure projects, I'm beginning to think ETH could flip BTC. If it does it will be end of year, or on launch of ETH 2.0 (next year). I hope it will correct soon, so I can pick up more. If you ever regretted not picking up Google or Amazon in the early days, ETH is waving at you today. Dot's day of reckoning is coming - the tech better deliver. Sol is very interesting. Ada might actually fucking launch something some day. Avalance (AVAX) is an off-beat outsider that could kick some DAG ass. Harmony (One) is a sleeper hit. It's basically Eth 2.0 ready to rock. Nuls has shit exposure, but it has a buffet of blockchain delights if anyone ever decides to give a fuck. I'm loving the concept of Helium and patiently awaiting my hotspot for some tasty passive income - if you are based in a location where radio signals are not going to be easily blocked you could make some easy cash on this one - check explorer.helium.com to see if you have a couple of online hotspots within 2km that you can pair with. There's a 2-month lead time on the hotspots and a halving in Sept but still well worth it.

Infrastructure blockchains are the projects all your defi, NFT and pump and dumps will be running on. It's worth thinking about.

* Monero is decent

Ferris

Just took out all my crypto profit to buy an oculus quest 2, then rebalanced remaining holdings to 50/50 ETH/BTC.

Not going to the moon, but probably a decent hedge. At this point, I'm only gambling with the profit so let's see what happens.

oy vey

Can't go wrong with holding ETH/BTC if you're okay with staying the fuck away from it for 3-5 years. That's the hard bit I suppose, but no harm in profit taking.

Been real lucky and got $trias 4 days ago for $5.4 and its just hit $22

Noodle Lizard

I'm nuts-deep in Ethereum while my wife is up to the flap in Bitcoin. A fun competition, with no real "losers" unless the whole crypto market goes kaput.

I've still got my little DOGE but that I keep getting in and out of. Got some at 0.62 for the promised Dogefather night, but I'm every bit as sure it'll tank rather than moon. Since my DOGE shares are all house money, it's more like very nerdy sports-betting at this point.

If you had had opened up a Binance account on the day this thread started and just stuck all your money in $BNB (first coin I bought to save fees) then not fucked about you'd be 12x today.

Quote from: oy vey on May 09, 2021, 12:05:45 AM
Can't go wrong with holding ETH/BTC if you're okay with staying the fuck away from it for 3-5 years. That's the hard bit I suppose, but no harm in profit taking.

Unless the fad inevitably passes and you lose 98% of your money.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 09, 2021, 12:45:13 AM

12 years in now, $2.46T market cap (an increase of 3.4% in the last 24hrs) and $220B traded daily.

DOGE alone has a bigger market cap than Nintendo, General Motors and BP.

It's still early, just split £100 between ETH/BTC/BNB and forget about it for a few years.

Ferris

I took my original stake out and (plus profits) bought a stupid thing I wanted. Now it's gambling with remaining profits - if it disappears tomorrow, that's fine I've had my fun.

I've made $8 since I made my post an hour or so ago, will it last? Who knows - never gamble more than you can afford to lose I suppose. I don't know really.

oy vey

What is a fad anyway? Isn't that what Jeremy Clarkson called the Internet? Not into tech are we?

Quote from: oy vey on May 09, 2021, 01:08:36 AM
What is a fad anyway? Isn't that what Jeremy Clarkson called the Internet? Not into tech are we?

The Internet has some pretty obvious utilitarian functions that you would have to be as dumb as Clarkson not to see. Cryptocurrencies at this point have become purely a speculative bubble that will eventually burst and low-info investors will be left holding the bag. I have no opposition to playing the game, just a caution that people should probably not be treating it as a serious investment mechanism for putting their savings into.

Ferris

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 09, 2021, 01:14:34 AM
a caution that people should probably not be treating it as a serious investment mechanism for putting their savings into.

Yeah absolutely, I think that's the general feeling in the thread though?

You can make money at it, but it's like picking horses; fine for a few quid but you'd be bonkers to put any significant cash into it. I doubt anyone is really advocating that to be fair - it could all disappear tomorrow and is anyone putting money on crypto exchanges without knowing that. Maybe some are? I don't know.

Noodle Lizard

Considering most of the normal stocks people are persuaded to invest in either move less than 5% in a year and/or correct significantly every year, I don't see Bitcoin or Ethereum at least being a worse investment. They also can't tank because a CEO got a #MeToo.

Just saying - I'm relatively new to all of this, but all of my "safe bet" stocks have been red for over a month. Crypto's just about the only thing keeping me out of the red overall. Not to say it's a totally safe bet, of course, and I still wouldn't risk anything I couldn't imagine losing, but I think it's a perfectly good thing to invest in at this point. Something rather catastrophic would have to happen for BTC or ETH not to double in the next year, I can't find much to suggest otherwise even from the "fuck Bitcoin" crowd.

chveik

thankfully the financial world is immune to catastrophies