Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:58:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Socially Distant Sports Bar podcast

Started by SteveDave, February 04, 2021, 10:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

As a big Elis James fan, I started listening to this when it started but was put off by Mike Bubbins calling American Football "football" and the general sporting nature of it. I was further discouraged from listening when Bubbins tweeted something about getting behind Bohnson after he "had" Coronavirus.

Last week I'd run out of podcasts to listen to and thought I'd give the latest episode of it a go and I'm glad I did as, whilst the sport content is still there, the flights of fancy have gotten longer and funnier.

Just this morning I cried laughing at Elis hissing "Fuck off you paedo cunt" at the very start of an episode. You don't get that on 5 Live.

bgmnts

Quote from: SteveDave on February 04, 2021, 10:45:14 AM
As a big Elis James fan, I started listening to this when it started but was put off by Mike Bubbins calling American Football "football" and the general sporting nature of it. I was further discouraged from listening when Bubbins tweeted something about getting behind Bohnson after he "had" Coronavirus.

Fair play for putting me right off it.

SteveDave

Quote from: bgmnts on February 04, 2021, 12:20:03 PM
Fair play for putting me right off it.

If you go backwards from the latest one (like I did) he's alright. Guaranteed.

Seagullsim

I like the show enough, and Bubbins plays the right-wing Karl Pilkington character well, but i'd never go to one of the live shows. A load of 'lads' calling each other peado cunts all the time? Not for me.

BeardFaceMan

Can take or leave Elis but Bubbins is usually good value, he was good in The Unexplainers and Tourist Trap, can't say I've seen/heard too much of him when he's being himself though, so I may check this out.

Rizla

I started off really enjoying this but it seemed as it got more popular it started to go a bit downhill-Bubbins half-joking berating the audience for not shelling out on the Patreon whilst tweeting about buying his 7th vintage cortina and haranguing various high-ups about the lockdown really started to grate on me, but it was when they started on about their mate Matt Forde (or Fordey) and the criticism he was getting online, I checked out. Elis may be a good broadcaster but by fuck he's a dire stand-up. That said, the bit they did about Mike getting to play for Liverpool because he got off with an ex-player had me in tears of laughter, and some of the anecdotes were great, Mikes ill-fated school trip to Wimbledon in particular. Still, a bit of the Walter Mitty about him, I feel. But hey maybe I'll give it another  chance.

SteveDave

Quote from: Rizla on February 06, 2021, 12:18:42 AM
That said, the bit they did about Mike getting to play for Liverpool because he got off with an ex-player had me in tears of laughter

As I'm working my way backwards through these I've just heard this one and it was great. Elis' commentator and then Steven Gerrard impressions were spot on. 

Getting absolutely fucking sick of Elis tbh. For a man who has about a dozen football podcasts on the go, his knowledge opinions are the most tedious, predictable and shallow bollocks going. I suppose part of his role is to be a kind of idiot everyman when he's on with ex-pros or pseud journalists but it's getting intolerable here.

The entertainment value in Bubbins is getting ruined by Steff doing the here we go, this guy's a real character! patter whenever he's about to tell an anecdote instead of just letting him be too

Alfigator

Tough crowd, this podcast is rather good in my humble opinion.

SteveDave

I bought tickets to their live show at the Hackney Empire in September this morning but it looks like the first two floors (I LOVE THE THEATRE) are sold out. There's 6 tickets left now. It's going to be manly Hell isn't it?