Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:47:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Simpsons Incidental Music

Started by GoblinAhFuckScary, February 04, 2021, 09:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

Big fan of Alf Clausen's work and it seems to be barely appreciated, what with his contributions being whittled further and further into the Simpsons's inexorable death spiral and his firing in 2019, which he then accused the showrunners of ageism for.

I associate him heavily with some of the most heartfelt scenes such as the gorgeous piece at the end of Mother Simpson.

I got thinking about him Watching the Rosebud episode earlier where there's a particular recurring cue that plays in more chaotic scenes. Pops up again later in the planet of the donuts dream in Simpson Tide later in season 9. Really wanted to know if it was meant to be a direct musical reference and it's surprising to find no recordings or info available.

Alf's good

Rosebud

Slightly different here in the donuts scene

Magnum Valentino

Been a while since I watched it but remember consciously thinking "this music is BRILLIANT" once when watching Bart Gets An F. All the little fantasies and cutaways and stuff like the land of chocolate and the bitt with the Beatles and Lisa in the sky with no diamonds are brilliant too, yes, he's absolutely excellent and a very unsung contributor to the feel of the classic era overall. I don't ever remember hearing much about him on the commentaries even.

St_Eddie

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 04, 2021, 09:29:54 PM
Really wanted to know if it was meant to be a direct musical reference and it's surprising to find no recordings or info available.

Alf's good

Rosebud

Slightly different here in the donuts scene

It's a riff on Jerry Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes soundtrack.  I take it you haven't seen the film?  I would have thought that the visuals/gags alone might have clued you in.

GoblinAhFuckScary

WELL I had made that assumption with both being clear visual references, but no I've not seen the originals (tim burton one tho corrrr). That being the case it's interesting how that particular musical reference became part of the usual simpsons cue stock in the zombie era

St_Eddie

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 04, 2021, 10:25:54 PM
I've not seen the originals (tim burton one tho corrrr).

Oh dear.  I recommend scrubbing the remake from your mind and watching the original instead.