Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:13:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Jazz Thread

Started by kalowski, February 05, 2021, 10:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Nice!

Come on, CaB. This is a "no snobbery" thread, so you can talk about "A Kind of Blue", "Attica Blues" and "Hip Seagull" here.

I started this because I'm sat listening to Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch which must have been thunderous on release. That's Freddie Hubbard on trumpet! Beautiful.
I don't have words to describe jazz I like, just the old "I don't know what it is, but I like it!"
Out to Lunch sounds like a successful musical alchemic experiment, with everyone diverging and converging as the pieces progress.

Have I missed the CaB jazz threads?

buttgammon

Eric Dolphy is great, I've been listening to that album a lot over the last few months. He's one of those musicians where you wonder what he would have done if he hadn't died prematurely.

I go through a lot of phases with jazz and recently, my biggest obsession has been Anthony Braxton. I found his music pretty much impenetrable for a long time, despite a few attempts to get into For Alto because it's mentioned so often, but something clicked and I've been going through his massive back catalogue. The diversity of it is amazing, and some of his stuff rips apart the fabric of jazz so much that it's hard to even see it as jazz.

One album I'm really into at the moment is Conference of the Birds by Dave Holland Quartet, which has Holland on bass, Anthony Braxton and Sam Rivers on sax, flute etc, and Barry Altschul on drums. It's free jazz but pretty accessible, with four musicians at the top of their game.

kalowski

I have For Alto, but I've not delved into it yet. You've convinced me I need to.

buttgammon

Quote from: kalowski on February 05, 2021, 10:33:18 PM
I have For Alto, but I've not delved into it yet. You've convinced me I need to.

It's definitely worth a punt. I like it but my favourite of his is New York, Fall 1974.

Rizla

I'm not a huge jazz head but I came across this 1977 album as a teenager and have always loved it- Joe Chambers on piano, and drums on 2 tracks, with the Hammond Organ of Larry Young backing throughout. Just a nice tight, focussed yet varied collection of tunes I never get tired of.

https://youtu.be/njTer4X8dHE

Twit 2

Cannonball Adderley  - Somethin' Else
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

You're welcome.

kalowski

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 05, 2021, 10:48:07 PM
Cannonball Adderley  - Somethin' Else
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

You're welcome.
All fucking great.
Can I add
Duke/Mingus/Roach - Money Jungle
Jimmy Smith - The Sermon
Monk - Monk's Music
Terumasa Hino - Hip Seagull
Archie Shepp - Attica Blues

Twit 2

More sax then:

Michael Brecker - Don't Try This At Home
Joshua Redman - Freedom in the Groove
John Surman - Stranger than Fiction

I really like sax players.

non capisco

I'm getting a lot of joy out of Song For My Father by Horace Silver at the moment, the whole album. 'Calcutta Cutie' has this brilliant sort of snaking horn riff that keeps coming up at intervals throughout the track, it's been bubbling in my head all week. Currently working solo on site at the office every other week due to covid and been caning some jazz classics LOUD, has really helped take the edge of the lonely trudge of a job I used to treasure for the company of my workmates. I'm foremost a Mingus fan when it comes to jazz so been blasting out 'Black Saint And The Sinner Lady' a lot. Lee Morgan, can't go wrong with a bit of him. There's some extensive Lee Morgan best ofs on Spotify, usually starting with the irresistible bounce of 'The Sidewinder', that are just hours upon hours of great music. Good to overcaffienate yourself to and stare out into empty Fitzrovia clicking your fingers imagining you're an untrammeled beat poet rather than a common or garden wage slave wanker just wishing the months away in Plaguetown UK.

Thanks for the recs, will keep a close eye on this thread and hoover up as much as I can.

Twit 2

Ahmad Jamal and Phineas Newborn Jnr are two great lesser-know pianists.

Back to obvious stuff, Maiden Voyage is perfect.

Pat Metheny's Question & Answer because it's a SMOKING trio album with Roy Haynes and Dave Holland, all 3 on stellar form.

ALBERT AYLER

kalowski

We're only on page one. Are we ready for Albert Ayler? Music is the Healing Force of the Universe is a magnificent piece of work and I love his stuff before that. Ghosts etc...

Twit 2

Ok, Ayler later.

Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard.

I have listened to "Softly as in a Morning Sunrise" 3500 times.

kalowski

Miles in Person at the Blackhawk is a similar kind of thing

Twit 2

Cheers, never heard that!

kalowski

It's Hank Moberly on sax on that one. But pre fusion it's him at his hard bop best m

non capisco

This thread already rules.

rue the polywhirl

Too much chat already about Freddie Hubbard and not enough about Phil Minton.

Twit 2

Continuing with sax and because The Sidewinder was mentioned up thread:

Joe Henderson - Page One

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm quite fond of Acker Bilk.

rue the polywhirl

Best jazz record I've been playing lately is Grover Washington Live At The Bijou (1977). Immense playing throughout and Summer Song is an absolute anthem.

kalowski

Thelonius Monk blows me away. I think he's an incredible artist. His music is some of my favourite jazz of all time. I mentioned Monk's Music up thread and any of his records as lead are worth getting, but I'd also recommend In Orbit (1958), Clark Terry with Monk as a sideman.

buttgammon

A more recent album I'd recommend is Ambrose Akinmusire's on the tender spot of every calloused moment, which came out last year.

Other stuff I've been listening to lots recently:

Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi (one of his great early 70s trilogy with Crossings and Sextant, capturing the moment of brilliant flowing fusion before he went full-on funk)

Dave Holland and Sam Rivers's eponymous album (love both of these lads, and this is about as much as you can get out of a bass and a sax)

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda (I constantly change my mind on her best album but this is the current favourite, not least because it features Pharaoh Sanders too)

Yosuke Yamashita Trio - Chiasma (nice live set that descends into barnstorming mayhem at times)

Quote from: buttgammon on February 05, 2021, 10:31:19 PMI go through a lot of phases with jazz and recently, my biggest obsession has been Anthony Braxton. I found his music pretty much impenetrable for a long time, despite a few attempts to get into For Alto because it's mentioned so often, but something clicked and I've been going through his massive back catalogue. The diversity of it is amazing, and some of his stuff rips apart the fabric of jazz so much that it's hard to even see it as jazz.

One album I'm really into at the moment is Conference of the Birds by Dave Holland Quartet, which has Holland on bass, Anthony Braxton and Sam Rivers on sax, flute etc, and Barry Altschul on drums. It's free jazz but pretty accessible, with four musicians at the top of their game.

I saw Anthony Braxton in January last year as part of a three night thing he was doing at Cafe Oto, super intimate venue, and as I walked out I thought "that was amazing, quite a short set, but amazing" as I sat on the bus thinking about how I'd just witnessed one of the most life affirming jazz performances I'd ever seen.

The next day I saw that someone had uploaded the shows to youtube and that what I thought was a short performance was instead the halfway point, I had strolled out oblivious during the intermission like an absolute plum and missed what was considered the best set of the three days. Gutted.

Set 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXSg7ke44Y
Set 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy35hxOIifM

kalowski

Quote from: buttgammon on February 06, 2021, 09:51:21 AM
A more recent album I'd recommend is Ambrose Akinmusire's on the tender spot of every calloused moment, which came out last year.

Other stuff I've been listening to lots recently:

Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi (one of his great early 70s trilogy with Crossings and Sextant, capturing the moment of brilliant flowing fusion before he went full-on funk)

Dave Holland and Sam Rivers's eponymous album (love both of these lads, and this is about as much as you can get out of a bass and a sax)

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda (I constantly change my mind on her best album but this is the current favourite, not least because it features Pharaoh Sanders too)

Yosuke Yamashita Trio - Chiasma (nice live set that descends into barnstorming mayhem at times)
Thanks. This is all new to me. I've not heard of that Hancock album.

buttgammon

Quote from: thelittlemango on February 06, 2021, 10:09:57 AM
I saw Anthony Braxton in January last year as part of a three night thing he was doing at Cafe Oto, super intimate venue, and as I walked out I thought "that was amazing, quite a short set, but amazing" as I sat on the bus thinking about how I'd just witnessed one of the most life affirming jazz performances I'd ever seen.

The next day I saw that someone had uploaded the shows to youtube and that what I thought was a short performance was instead the halfway point, I had strolled out oblivious during the intermission like an absolute plum and missed what was considered the best set of the three days. Gutted.

Set 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXSg7ke44Y
Set 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy35hxOIifM

Thanks for the links - these look amazing!

If it's any consolation, I did the same thing during a performance of Waiting for Godot, a play i have read, studied and taught numerous times. On the way home, I turned to my girlfriend and said "doesn't this have a second act?"

chveik

I'm very fond of this Dolphy bootleg, recorded not long before his death
Springtime

Otomo Yoshihide's take on Out to Lunch is fantastic too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATQ4qouk6ig

Dirty Boy

Thanks for reminding me to dig out Out To Lunch again, not heard it in yonks. Try his album Out There next if you haven't already, i think it's almost as good. Third Stream roolz (if indeed that's what it is).

Lately, my Jazz listening seems to be confined to Mingus, Miles, Tyner and Hermeto Pascoal. Luckily there's still a shitload of theirs i haven't listened to yet.

Wouldn't mind getting more into Coltrane as i only really know Giant Steps and Love Supreme and recently got proper into Africa/Brass which sounds more cinematic and arranged that a lot of his other stuff, so yeah, recommend away.

willbo

I've been listening to a lot of Zara McFarlane's latest album over the past year (i think it's called everything is connected). I also got an album by an offbeat/spiritual artist called Angel Bat Dawid which is very nice.

spaghetamine

I'm a big jazzy boy which was something of a point of contention between my mother and I when I was growing up, she once claimed that she doesn't like it because "there's too many notes". Pretty much all stuff already posted is ace, I've included some artists below that haven't been mentioned yet.

Bill Evans Trio - B Minor Waltz (For Ellaine)

Dorothy Ashby - Booze

Matthew Halsall - The Sun in September

Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes - I Mani (Faith)

Sun Ra - Love Is For Always

SpiderChrist

Under The Jasmine Tree - Modern Jazz Quartet
Lady Sings The Blues - Billie Holiday
The Big Beat - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
Pardon My French - Jahari Massamba Unit
The Cole Porter Songbook - Ella Fitzgerald