Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Jazz Thread

Started by kalowski, February 05, 2021, 10:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

I'm doing a Sun Ra related night on CaB Radio tonight starting around 8pm with some warm up tunes then into a history of Sun Ra's early (pre-Sun Ra early) through to his move to Chicago (and then on to New York if I have the energy).

NoSleep

buttgammon

The new favourite here is Thembi by Pharoah Sanders, which is the perfect bridge between his mellower and crazier sides.

a peepee tipi

Been getting into jazz, I'll definitely be digging through this thread

This'll probably be my only real contribution, but my favorite band of the last couple years is called Kneebody, and this is my favorite of theirs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5ruEePxAg.

They also have a really fun video explaining a ton of musical cues that allow any member of the band to direct each other and the flow of the music. For example, they have individualized "name" cues based on a series of intervals to call on specific players. They have another cue meant to loop new, inprovised parts into a song. So, one member of the band can call out another player with their name cue, play the looping cue, then play an improvised line that the "called out" player will then follow and take over. There are other cues for tempo changes (gradual and sudden) and even for on-the-spot, unplanned key changes, it's wild and brilliant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipn8e7ZFKM4

poodlefaker

Quote from: buttgammon on March 16, 2021, 08:41:37 AM
The new favourite here is Thembi by Pharoah Sanders, which is the perfect bridge between his mellower and crazier sides.
A favourite of mine, esp. "Astral Travelling". Apparently Lonnie Liston Smith came into the studio and saw the Fender Rhodes, which he'd never encountered before, started to mess about with it, and the others joined in.

In a simlar vein is Journey in Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on February 09, 2021, 01:01:44 PM
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Headhunters bassist Paul Jackson died on Thursday. Played on most of Herbie's 1970s fusion albums.

Spank-A-Lee live in '74 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fIimwo42_c

Workshop grooves with 'Thrust' drummer Mike Clark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Y9w_sC8Vw

Video Game Fan 2000

NoSleep

Currently on:

Quote from: Petey Pate on April 13, 2021, 08:50:37 PM
Didn't mention a time earlier. Well, that time is now. Am warming up a bit but will properly start around 9pm.

Listening links:

http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.pls   
http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.m3u
http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.mp3

And you can enter the chatroom here: https://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23cabradio&server=irc.mibbit.net

Chatroom info if you have an IRC client:

Server: irc.mibbit.net
Port: 6667
Room: #cabradio

Jason Moran found this Herbie Nichols interview and shared it earlier this year. It was recorded the year before he died.

Herbie Nichols Interview

QuoteHerbie Nichols is interviewed on the radio show, The Scope of Jazz by Mait Eady.  I purchased Nichols' handwritten scores for The Gig and 52nd St. Rag. Within the envelope was a CD with this rare interview.  These were given to a friend of Nichols, Joe Muranyi, who is mentioned in the interview.  This is a rare chance to hear Nichols talk about his early life studying music, Harlem house parties, hearing big bands at The Apollo, George Gershwin and jazz criticism. It is a phenomenal interview, and the only time we can hear the speaking voice of one of the most original pianists and composers. 
The photos of Nichols are by Francis Wolff from the Mosaic Records collection.
https://www.mosaicrecordsimages.com/p...
The music featured is primarily from the Blue Note Records catalog.
Thank you and enjoy - JASON MORAN

Herbie Nichols: A study in Frustration (Gene Seymour article discussing the interview and Nichols' career)

Most of the tracks played and discussed in the interview are from the third Blue Note album called Herbie Nichols Trio (1956) and two are from the first Blue Note album called The Prophetic Herbie Nichols Volume 1 (1955).

The main four albums from his Blue Note and Bethlehem sessions were:
The Prophetic Herbie Nichols Vol. 1 (Blue Note, 1955)
The Prophetic Herbie Nichols Vol. 2 (Blue Note, 1955)
Herbie Nichols Trio (Blue Note, 1956)
Love, Gloom, Cash, Love (Bethlehem, 1957)

He didn't record much more after the sessions for Blue Note and Bethlehem and he died from leukemia in 1963. Posthumous releases include The Complete Blue Note Recordings (Blue Note, 1987) - with the three Blue Note albums, alternative takes and additional tracks - and Herbie Nichols Trio Vol. 2 (Blue Note, 1996), made up of the additional tracks from The Complete Blue Note Recordings.

Dexter Gordon/Lars Gullin/Sahib Shihab Live in Copenhagen

QuoteFrom the German TV-program: "An Ort und Stelle - Jazz in Kopenhagen"
Dexter Gordon - ts
Lars Gulin - brs
Sahib Shihab - fl/as
Harold Goldberg - pno
Benny Nielsen - b
Alex Riel - dr
Jazz Club Montmartre 1962.
Aired 1963.
Radio Bremen, coord. Klaus Lonrenzen.

Reading through this nice thread, I have the impression that a lot of people are well into stuff from the 1960s on and that that might be most representative of our generation's jazz taste? I'm a big fan of 1950s jazz and have some trouble going into the 60s and finding the same enjoyment. There are lots of exceptions, and I think the Ornette Coleman quartet stuff and other Don Cherry is the best way of crossing over without losing enthusiasm or whatever emotional attachment I find I often lose there. I worry that I'm a bit like Philip Larkin's grumpy anti-modern Jazz persona but with a tolerance for an extra 5-10 years.

Sorry who are you?

What are you all listening to at the moment?

NoSleep

My biggest jazz discovery in the last 10 years was found by going back to the 20's, 30's & 40's to hear the pre-LP work of Duke Ellington and realising just how important a figure in popular music as a whole he is. Artists like Miles Davis, Sun Ra, Charles Mingus and many more whose work I admired had always spoke highly of him, but I had managed to pass him by almost entirely until I finally made the plunge and acquired the Never No Lament 3-CD compilation, which covers the period of 1940-1942, when he led the legendary line up of the Duke Ellington Orchestra that is referred to as the the "Blanton-Webster Band". Jimmy Blanton is the bass player and Ben Webster is on tenor sax throughout, but the whole group is on fire for the duration. This period is probably the high watermark in Ellington's career and the entire collection was jaw-dropping for me in the realisation of how everything leads back to him; it's impossible to imagine the development of jazz without him. (EDIT: Never No Lament already mentioned by NoSleep earlier in this thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,84996.msg4461326.html#msg4461326 )

After that I went back to the beginning of his recording career (1924) and collected everything I could possibly lay my hands on; nothing is less than interesting and remarkable in comparison to what almost anyone else is doing throughout the period.

For more detail check back through the Duke Ellington thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44868.0

buttgammon

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 18, 2021, 02:14:47 AM
Reading through this nice thread, I have the impression that a lot of people are well into stuff from the 1960s on and that that might be most representative of our generation's jazz taste? I'm a big fan of 1950s jazz and have some trouble going into the 60s and finding the same enjoyment. There are lots of exceptions, and I think the Ornette Coleman quartet stuff and other Don Cherry is the best way of crossing over without losing enthusiasm or whatever emotional attachment I find I often lose there. I worry that I'm a bit like Philip Larkin's grumpy anti-modern Jazz persona but with a tolerance for an extra 5-10 years.

Sorry who are you?

What are you all listening to at the moment?

Based on this thread and a couple of conversations with the handful of peers I know who are into jazz, I think this is a fair assessment. I do like some stuff from the 1950s (Thelonious Monk; Charles Mingus's earlier stuff) but the bulk of what I listen to is 1960s onwards.

I've been liking Infinite Search by Miroslav Vitous lately - it's an all-star line-up playing plugged-in fusiony post-bop.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 18, 2021, 02:14:47 AM
Reading through this nice thread, I have the impression that a lot of people are well into stuff from the 1960s on and that that might be most representative of our generation's jazz taste?

I think there's a few reasons for this and I'm going to massively generalise about it based on my own experience as rock/metal fan who is into jazz, apologies if this is a bit off and I don't want to offend anyone by lumping them into these categories:

• Paradoxically, despite being more 'inaccessible' the more out there jazz has more genre pathways leading into it than older jazz seems to - noise, modern classical, avantgarde/improv, progressive rock(this was it for me), seem a few jumps away - even so called jazz-influenced modern metal bands.

• For whatever reason, the themes of spirituality, cosmic or in some cases sci-fi are adjacent to psychedelia which gets free cool points for your average hipster music fan (I'm fully including myself in this bracket). Someone's story and imagery like Sun Ra is an immediate grab for someone who likes the story of someone like Captain Beefheart - and I say this knowing there's incredible stories connected with older jazz musicians too.

• I sometimes feel as though there's less pressure to understand what's going on on a technical level with more free stuff (I know nothing about playing instruments and can only talk about this stuff on a purely gut instinct level)

• 60s and later jazz is often in album format unlike a lot of the classic earlier stuff, which makes it easier to digest and talk about for rock fans.

I might be way off and/or projecting but that's my theories. The thing is, there's so much interesting jazz from the 60s to mid 70s and even later, I feel like I could spend the rest of my life before I go deaf checking it out.

Smeraldina Rima I would love to have a primer list of 50s and earlier stuff from you if you were so inclined! All I know is a little bit of Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Sidney Bechet and a tiny bit of Thelonius Monk.

NS, that's interesting. Earlier jazz was a big part of CaB Radio in the shows by Neil, ApexJazz, Lfbarfe and you, I learned a lot in those days about a lot of music. I'm a bit surprised you still had that much more to discover about Duke Ellington as I saw you as an expert at the time, but maybe Ellington was more Neil's thing, and not exactly in the ways you're talking about. I listened to Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Reinhardt and Grapelli, and most of all Sydney Bechet when I was at uni and with my Dad - who was really old - but still haven't truly appreciated Ellington, because I listen to small groups more than big bands. I like Money Jungle, Piano Reflections and the Blanton duets though. Didn't realise Webster was in Ellington's group back then. Miles Davis famously said you can tell the history of jazz in four words: Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker. You would put Ellington in there? Maybe that's a pointless competitive way of looking at it. I'll listen to Never no Lament.

Speaking of recent discoveries, I was happy to find https://www.discogs.com/Lennie-Tristano-Chicago-April-1951/release/11384347 (released in 2014). I love Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz and it's nice to have these recordings of them playing with Tristano.

buttgammon, have you explored the 50s a lot and found it's usually not for you? I'm thinking, if you like Mingus and Monk from that period, there would be a lot more to like. I guess you mentioned them not meaning that you only like them but as a sort of shorthand anyway. I watched the Mingus 1968 documentary about his eviction. It has some amazing close-ups of him playing/practicing/writing. At one point he says something nice about the German pianist, Jutta Hipp, who I'd read somewhere else was bullied by some of the musicians she played with, playing really fast to intimidate her. Can't remember if what Mingus said in the film made it sound like she was still playing more than I'd realised then or if he was thinking back a long way. I didn't know they knew each other and presumably played together at some point.

ASFTSN, thanks for that post. I'll get back to you, and similarly, would love any sort of grouped recommendations or personal guide for listening through the 1960s, bearing in mind that I'm already fairly familiar with the main albums and the top 100 lists. You could start with the Herbie Nichols albums linked above. Along with Monk, Bud Powell and Horace Silver, he was one of the great modern pianists of that time and one of my favourites.

NoSleep

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 18, 2021, 12:25:30 PM
Miles Davis famously said you can tell the history of jazz in four words: Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker. You would put Ellington in there? Maybe that's a pointless competitive way of looking at it. I'll listen to Never no Lament.

Miles also said, "I think all the musicians in jazz should get together on one certain day and get down on their knees and thank Duke." When you open the gatefold sleeve of Get Up With It (released in 1974, the year that Ellington died) the right hand "page" has only the words "For Duke" in the centre. And the album features the 30m29s "He Loved Him Madly", a tribute to Ellington, who used to say to his audiences, "Love you madly." Miles also buried in the same Woodlawn cemetery, close to Ellington's grave.

I believe Miles could not listen to the music of Ellington for years, for fear of its otherwise powerful influence over him, in much the same way that he banned himself from playing ballads anymore (because he loved both Ellington and ballads).

Ornette Coleman said that, aside from himself[nb]Taking the music back to its blues origins and starting again from scratch, to create Free Jazz and Harmolodics[/nb], "Everybody took the A-Train."

That'll be a yes then. I wasn't trying to put Ellington down or to pigeon-hole Miles Davis by mentioning that quote, just interested in where you saw Ellington in the history of jazz. So I guess you'd say that Davis's love for Ellington shows that he really saw him as at least equally important as Armstrong to him personally and to the history of jazz, even if it was sometimes in a negative way (having to avoid Ellington).

kalowski

Quote from: NoSleep on June 18, 2021, 08:40:35 AM
My biggest jazz discovery in the last 10 years was found by going back to the 20's, 30's & 40's to hear the pre-LP work of Duke Ellington and realising just how important a figure in popular music as a whole he is. Artists like Miles Davis, Sun Ra, Charles Mingus and many more whose work I admired had always spoke highly of him, but I had managed to pass him by almost entirely until I finally made the plunge and acquired the Never No Lament 3-CD compilation, which covers the period of 1940-1942, when he led the legendary line up of the Duke Ellington Orchestra that is referred to as the the "Blanton-Webster Band". Jimmy Blanton is the bass player and Ben Webster is on tenor sax throughout, but the whole group is on fire for the duration. This period is probably the high watermark in Ellington's career and the entire collection was jaw-dropping for me in the realisation of how everything leads back to him; it's impossible to imagine the development of jazz without him. (EDIT: Never No Lament already mentioned by NoSleep earlier in this thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,84996.msg4461326.html#msg4461326 )

After that I went back to the beginning of his recording career (1924) and collected everything I could possibly lay my hands on; nothing is less than interesting and remarkable in comparison to what almost anyone else is doing throughout the period.

For more detail check back through the Duke Ellington thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44868.0
Oh, thank you for this post. I know what I'm looking up now.

buttgammon

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 18, 2021, 12:25:30 PM
buttgammon, have you explored the 50s a lot and found it's usually not for you? I'm thinking, if you like Mingus and Monk from that period, there would be a lot more to like. I guess you mentioned them not meaning that you only like them but as a sort of shorthand anyway. I watched the Mingus 1968 documentary about his eviction. It has some amazing close-ups of him playing/practicing/writing. At one point he says something nice about the German pianist, Jutta Hipp, who I'd read somewhere else was bullied by some of the musicians she played with, playing really fast to intimidate her. Can't remember if what Mingus said in the film made it sound like she was still playing more than I'd realised then or if he was thinking back a long way. I didn't know they knew each other and presumably played together at some point.

It's more that I haven't got round to exploring the fifties more than anything - Mingus and Monk are the two obvious ones that are already in my rotation. Do you have any recommendations for next steps from there?

chveik

Clifford Brown/Max Roach

NoSleep

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 18, 2021, 01:55:45 PM
That'll be a yes then. I wasn't trying to put Ellington down or to pigeon-hole Miles Davis by mentioning that quote, just interested in where you saw Ellington in the history of jazz. So I guess you'd say that Davis's love for Ellington shows that he really saw him as at least equally important as Armstrong to him personally and to the history of jazz, even if it was sometimes in a negative way (having to avoid Ellington).

Of course players like Louis Armstrong and Charlie Parker are key figures, but Ellington is the bridge between the early form of pioneers like Armstrong and its later evolution through Parker, Monk, Coltrane, Ra, etc. Ellington advanced the game for everyone, mostly through his feel for harmony, experimenting with extending the language of blues (and its blue notes) into innovative use of dissonance that eventually became the standard foundation for jazz and popular music. I can hear Ellington's influence on the relatively later Robert Johnson, for example, whilst the first great soloist in his band[nb]Although they were more of a collective at that point, and initially called The Washingtonians.[/nb], Bubber Miley, (albeit a trumpet and cornet player) sounds like the great granddaddy of Hendrix's Voodoo Chile sound. And you can hear echoes of Cecil Taylor in Duke's playing on his composition Ko-Ko (which you'll find on the Never No Lament compilation).

Thanks. That's interesting. And sorry for not communicating what I meant very well before.

Quote from: buttgammon on June 18, 2021, 08:11:32 PM
It's more that I haven't got round to exploring the fifties more than anything - Mingus and Monk are the two obvious ones that are already in my rotation. Do you have any recommendations for next steps from there?

Yep sure, I've nearly finished putting together a list of stuff I like for ASFTSN. It's probably not much different from what you would find looking up the best of 1950s Jazz, but with a few more of my favourites and some lesser known bass players. And I agree with chveik about Clifford Brown and Max Roach.

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 18, 2021, 11:19:47 AM
I would love to have a primer list of 50s and earlier stuff from you if you were so inclined! All I know is a little bit of Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Sidney Bechet and a tiny bit of Thelonius Monk.

Apart from Jazz at Massey Hall and sometimes as sidemen, I've left out those musicians and Miles Davis, Mingus and Coltrane. And with Bud Powell for example I've only listed The Amazing Bud Powell, but if you like that, there are a lot more to listen to. Most of these are excellent albums, and some are other interesting albums, either recorded in the 1950s or released in the 1950s, roughly grouped by the leading instruments:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Quintet-Jazz-At-Massey-Hall/master/176938
https://www.discogs.com/Lennie-Tristano-Chicago-April-1951/release/11384347
https://www.discogs.com/The-Jazz-Messengers-At-The-Cafe-Bohemia-Volume-1/master/188288
https://www.discogs.com/The-Jazz-Messengers-At-The-Cafe-Bohemia-Volume-2/master/188292
https://www.discogs.com/The-Jazz-Messengers-The-Jazz-Messengers/master/155022
https://www.discogs.com/Art-Blakey-And-The-Jazz-Messengers-Art-Blakey-And-The-Jazz-Messengers/master/62462

https://www.discogs.com/Bud-Powell-The-Amazing-Bud-Powell/master/781206]The Amazing Bud Powell Volume 1
https://www.discogs.com/Bud-Powell-The-Amazing-Bud-Powell-Volume-2/master/283505
https://www.discogs.com/Thelonious-Monk-Genius-Of-Modern-Music/release/7628430
https://www.discogs.com/Herbie-Nichols-The-Complete-Blue-Note-Recordings-Of-Herbie-Nichols/master/514527
https://www.discogs.com/Horace-Silver-Horace-Silver-Trio/master/344551
https://www.discogs.com/Lennie-Tristano-Lennie-Tristano/master/243212
https://www.discogs.com/Jutta-Hipp-At-The-Hickory-House-Volume-1/master/406700
https://www.discogs.com/Jutta-Hipp-Quintet-Cool-Dogs-Two-Oranges/master/520836
https://www.discogs.com/Elmo-Hope-Trio-And-Quintet/release/3818793
https://www.discogs.com/Wynton-Kelly-New-FacesNew-Sounds/master/360943
https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Drew-Kenny-Drew-And-His-Progressive-Piano/release/6744077
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Bley-Paul-Bley/master/648089
https://www.discogs.com/Sonny-Clark-Trio-Sonny-Clark-Trio/master/241256
https://www.discogs.com/Ahmad-Jamal-Trio-Ahmad-Jamal-At-The-Pershing/master/59857
https://www.discogs.com/Hampton-Hawes-This-Is-Hampton-Hawes-Vol-2-The-Trio/master/397282
https://www.discogs.com/Tommy-Flanagan-Overseas/master/315982
https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Haynes-With-Phineas-Newborn-Paul-Chambers-We-Three/master/318767
https://www.discogs.com/Stephane-Grappelly-Piano-%C3%A0-Gogo/release/4367872
https://www.discogs.com/Buddy-Weed-Piano-Moods/release/3736422
https://www.discogs.com/Earl-Hines-Earl-Hines/master/739102
https://www.discogs.com/Mal-Waldron-Quintet-Featuring-Gigi-Gryce-And-Idrees-Sulieman-Mal-1/master/386318
https://www.discogs.com/Cecil-Taylor-Quartet-Jazz-Advance/master/271981
https://www.discogs.com/Sun-Ra-Jazz-By-Sun-Ra-Vol-1/release/517197
https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-New-Jazz-Conceptions/master/178735
https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-Trio-Everybody-Digs-Bill-Evans/master/104370
https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-Trio-Portrait-In-Jazz/master/104371
https://www.discogs.com/The-Art-Tatum-Ben-Webster-Quartet-Featuring-Red-Callender-And-Bill-Douglass-The-Art-Tatum-Ben-Webste/master/585823

https://www.discogs.com/Clifford-Brown-And-Max-Roach-Clifford-Brown-And-Max-Roach/release/4869491
https://www.discogs.com/Clifford-Brown-And-Max-Roach-Study-In-Brown/release/1146247
https://www.discogs.com/Brown-And-Roach-Incorporated-Brown-And-Roach-Incorporated/master/269223
https://www.discogs.com/Max-Roach-Herb-Geller-Walter-Benton-Joe-Maini-Clifford-Brown-Best-Coast-Jazz/master/410997
https://www.discogs.com/Clifford-Brown-featuring-Zoot-Sims-Jazz-Immortal/release/2795441
https://www.discogs.com/Gigi-Gryce-Clifford-Brown-Sextet-Gigi-Gryce-Clifford-Brown-Sextet/release/4367003
https://www.discogs.com/Fats-Navarro-Memorial-Album/master/767990
https://www.discogs.com/Howard-McGhee-Howard-McGhee-Volume-2/master/845943
https://www.discogs.com/Donald-Byrd-Byrd-Blows-On-Beacon-Hill/master/567443
https://www.discogs.com/Clark-Terry-Clark-Terry/master/422627
https://www.discogs.com/Jackie-McLean-Quintet-Introducing-Bill-Hardman-Jackies-Pal/master/307218
https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Dorham-Quintet-Kenny-Dorham-Quintet/master/464180
https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Dorham-Afro-Cuban/master/155854
https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Dorham-Round-About-Midnight-At-The-Cafe-Bohemia/master/352999
https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Dorham-Quiet-Kenny/master/155855

https://www.discogs.com/Wilbur-Harden-John-Coltrane-Tommy-Flanagan-Doug-Watkins-Louis-Hayes-Mainstream-The-East-Coast-Jazz-S/master/313950

https://www.discogs.com/Julius-Watkins-Sextet-New-Faces-New-Sounds/master/663620
https://www.discogs.com/Julius-Watkins-Sextet-Volume-Two/master/663616
https://www.discogs.com/Rouse-Watkins-Jazz-Modes-Gene-Quill-Dick-Sherman-Quintet-Jazzville-Vol-1/master/1382035

https://www.discogs.com/Jay-Jay-Johnson-The-Eminent-Jay-Jay-Johnson-Volume-1/master/174533
https://www.discogs.com/Curtis-Fuller-Bone-Bari/master/522009

https://www.discogs.com/Coleman-Hawkins-Body-And-Soul/release/2190473
https://www.discogs.com/Coleman-Hawkins-The-Hawk-Flies-High/master/120757
https://www.discogs.com/Lester-Young-With-The-Oscar-Peterson-Trio-The-President-Plays-With-The-Oscar-Peterson-Trio/release/7342034
https://www.discogs.com/Ben-Webster-The-Consummate-Artistry-of-Ben-Webster/master/511511
https://www.discogs.com/The-Ben-Webster-Quintet-Soulville/master/249088
https://www.discogs.com/Coleman-Hawkins-Encounters-Ben-Webster-Coleman-Hawkins-Encounters-Ben-Webster/master/288543
https://www.discogs.com/Ben-Webster-meets-Oscar-Peterson-Ben-Webster-Meets-Oscar-Peterson/master/224506

https://www.discogs.com/Wardell-Gray-Memorial-Volume-One/release/6795254
https://www.discogs.com/Wardell-Gray-Dexter-Gordon-The-Chase-And-The-Steeplechase/master/417379
https://www.discogs.com/Dexter-Gordon-Daddy-Plays-The-Horn/master/524516
https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Morgan-With-Conte-Candoli-And-Machitos-Rhythm-Section-Gene-Norman-Presents-Frank-Morgan/master/734376
https://www.discogs.com/Sahib-Shihab-Jazz-Sahib/master/334667
https://www.discogs.com/Art-Pepper-Meets-The-Rhythm-Section/master/221127
https://www.discogs.com/Jackie-McLean-4-5-And-6/master/224467
https://www.discogs.com/Jackie-McLean-McLeans-Scene/master/344416
https://www.discogs.com/Jackie-McLean-New-Soil/master/347860
https://www.discogs.com/Sonny-Rollins-Moving-Out/master/217830
https://www.discogs.com/Sonny-Rollins-Worktime/master/256167
https://www.discogs.com/Sonny-Rollins-Plus-4/master/174518
https://www.discogs.com/Sonny-Rollins-Quartet-Tenor-Madness/master/242177
https://www.discogs.com/Lee-Konitz-With-Tristano-Marsh-Bauer-Subconscious-Lee/master/258206
https://www.discogs.com/Lee-Konitz-With-Warne-Marsh-Lee-Konitz-With-Warne-Marsh/master/393944
https://www.discogs.com/Lee-Konitz-Inside-Hi-Fi/master/393942
https://www.discogs.com/Warne-Marsh-Jazz-Of-Two-Cities/master/639812
https://www.discogs.com/Warne-Marsh-Warne-Marsh/master/522492
https://www.discogs.com/Lars-Gullin-1953-55-Vol-8-Dannys-Dream/release/8098574
https://www.discogs.com/Zoot-Sims-The-Modern-Art-Of-Jazz/master/338622
https://www.discogs.com/Jutta-Hipp-With-Zoot-Sims-Jutta-Hipp-With-Zoot-Sims/master/81653
https://www.discogs.com/Lou-Donaldson-Blues-Walk/master/64257
https://www.discogs.com/JR-Monterose-JR-Monterose/master/392604
https://www.discogs.com/Lyle-Murphy-Four-Saxophones-In-Twelve-Tones/master/632832
https://www.discogs.com/Yusef-Lateef-Before-Dawn-The-Music-Of-Yusef-Lateef/master/271754
https://www.discogs.com/The-Yusef-Lateef-Quintet-The-Sounds-Of-Yusef/release/5239929
https://www.discogs.com/Yusef-Lateef-Other-Sounds/master/145290
https://www.discogs.com/Buddy-DeFranco-The-Artistry-Of-Buddy-DeFranco/master/611360
https://www.discogs.com/The-Jimmy-Giuffre-3-Travlin-Light/master/437827

https://www.discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-Jimmy-Blanton-Duo/master/572474
https://www.discogs.com/The-New-Oscar-Pettiford-Sextet-The-New-Oscar-Pettiford-Sextet/master/321255
https://www.discogs.com/Oscar-Pettiford-Volume-2/master/228447
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Chambers-Chambers-Music-A-Jazz-Delegation-From-The-East/master/279080
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Chambers-Sextet-Whims-Of-Chambers/master/186445
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Chambers-Quartet-Bass-On-Top/master/310070
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Chambers-Quintet-With-Donald-Byrd-Cliff-Jordan-Tommy-Flanagan-Elvin-Jones-Paul-Chambers-Quintet/master/357743
https://www.discogs.com/Milt-Hinton-East-Coast-Jazz5/master/776187
https://www.discogs.com/Doug-Watkins-Watkins-At-Large/master/499890
https://www.discogs.com/Ray-Brown-Bass-Hit/master/549084
https://www.discogs.com/Wilbur-Ware-Quintet-Featuring-Johnny-Griffin-The-Chicago-Sound/master/291040
https://www.discogs.com/Buddy-Banks-Jazz-De-Chambre/master/1004737
https://www.discogs.com/Red-Mitchell-Red-Mitchell/release/2884947
https://www.discogs.com/Jimmy-Woode-The-Colorful-Strings-Of-Jimmy-Woode/master/867968
https://www.discogs.com/The-Wes-Montgomery-Trio-The-Wes-Montgomery-Trio/master/235547
https://www.discogs.com/Dick-Wetmore-Dick-Wetmore/release/6025027 That's what she said.
https://www.discogs.com/Dorothy-Ashby-With-Frank-Wess-Hip-Harp/master/381825

I like going through the Blue Note 1500 and 4000 series as it gives a good sense of all the latest things at the time. They released and repackaged a lot of good music through the 50s as the records changed. Bethlehem label is also interesting. It put out Mingus's East Coasting with Bill Evans on piano and also had an East Coast Jazz series. Transition was shortlived but forward looking, with Sun Ra and Cecil Taylor's first albums. I think Yusef Lateef was very advanced sounding and the critics at the time didn't really appreciate him. But there's a lot of mainstream and cool jazz in this list. Probably not enough hard bop. If you don't mind listening to something made for children, I think Cannonball Adderley's 1961 Child's Introduction to Jazz is a nice short overview.

Video Game Fan 2000

I might be wrong about this but I've always thought Miles seemed protective of how Ellington was perceived and was always quick to badmouth any players in the 1960s who had a big Duke influence but didn't express it in the 'right' way. This includes Mingus and Roach playing with Ellington himself. Couldn't win!

NoSleep

I'd say Miles is just judging others by the tough tasks he had set for himself. Both Duke and Miles had good ears, especially for finding the best players for their bands. In the case of Miles he was effectively A&R'ing for the talent record companies would later sign up[nb]And later complained that Sting would wait for him to spot great new talent for his own band that Mr Sumner would poach with the promise of more money.[/nb], whilst Duke had a knack for holding on to players and even tolerating wild or erratic behaviour if somebody sounded good. Duke also had the aural equivalent of a photographic memory (magnetic tape memory?) both for picking up licks from each player (then, like a jeweller, setting these gems into an arrangement perfectly) as well as a knack for translating sounds from the environment into musical form (Miles talked about this in his own music, too).

ASFTSN

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 18, 2021, 11:06:03 PM
Immense list of jazz

Holy hell! Thank you so much for this! I don't feel anywhere near qualified to do a similar list for 60s stuff (this is intimidatingly comprehensive!), but I'll post a few things I've been listening to recently soon, hopefully not too obvious.

Thanks again!

ASFTSN

Not related to above post, but more generally to the thread - I was trying to investigate some Sonny Rollins stuff as I'm a bit ignorant of his work and I listened to Sonny Side Up yesterday. The Eternal Triangle is so damn good! I was welded to my seat for the whole tune.

buttgammon

That list is going to keep me occupied for a long time! Thank you so much Smeraldina!

Mobbd

Hope you can find something you like from it. If it's too intimidating: Bud Powell, Coleman Hawkins, Lee Konitz, Brown/Roach, Kenny Dorham, Julius Watkins, Paul Chambers.

I've found a pretty good way of listening through the 60s with better focus. Something I liked about the Ornette Coleman quartet and early Don Cherry albums was the bass playing by Charlie Hayden and Henry Grimes - which was unlike what I was more used to - and especially the solos on Where is Brooklyn?. It put Scott LeFaro in a different light too. So I listened to Henry Grimes' The Call and noticed that ESP Disk has lots of cool stuff on it starting from the mid 60s, some of which was mentioned earlier: Ayler, Sanders, Marion Brown. I enjoyed everything so far: Spiritual Unity by the Albert Ayler Trio, Pharoah Sanders' first, and The Call by Grimes. Also noticed that two of the bassists, Grimes and Gary Peacock from the AA trio, died last year. I should be alright for a limited route through the 60s now but I'll still be interested if you have any recommendations of labels, groupings of musical scenes and players, or favourite albums.