Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Jazz Thread

Started by kalowski, February 05, 2021, 10:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Twit 2

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 06, 2021, 11:35:23 AM
Wouldn't mind getting more into Coltrane as i only really know Giant Steps and Love Supreme and recently got proper into Africa/Brass which sounds more cinematic and arranged that a lot of his other stuff, so yeah, recommend away.

Blue Train, Fave Things and the aforementioned Village Vanguard are pretty essential.

thugler

Re: Coltrane. I really love 'Interstellar Space', it's late period, pretty wild duets with Rashied Ali on drums. The intensity of the thing is what gets me, feels like Ali is just barely keeping up at times, Coltrane is relentless.

Other recommendations:
Sonny Rollins - The Bridge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F106pRlqV1s
Pino Minafra - Sudori https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rao9YgnTN8
Don Cherry - Brown Rice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8PK53DYGA

kalowski

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 07, 2021, 10:06:58 AM
Blue Train, Fave Things and the aforementioned Village Vanguard are pretty essential.
For me it's Ole Coltrane. Just magnificent.

chveik

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 06, 2021, 11:35:23 AM
Wouldn't mind getting more into Coltrane as i only really know Giant Steps and Love Supreme and recently got proper into Africa/Brass which sounds more cinematic and arranged that a lot of his other stuff, so yeah, recommend away.

Newport '63, Live at Birdland '64, Crescent, Meditations, Impressions, Sun Ship... there is a lot to enjoy

Twit 2

Quote from: thugler on February 07, 2021, 11:46:44 AM
Re: Coltrane. I really love 'Interstellar Space', it's late period, pretty wild duets with Rashied Ali on drums. The intensity of the thing is what gets me, feels like Ali is just barely keeping up at times, Coltrane is relentless.

Have you heard the Olatunji concert? Brutal.

Mobbd

Thanks for this thread, kalowski, it's brilliant. I for one am working my way through the recommendations.

Oddly enough, I picked up Out to Lunch around the same time as you and I like it very much indeed.

Quote from: buttgammon on February 06, 2021, 09:51:21 AM
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda (I constantly change my mind on her best album but this is the current favourite, not least because it features Pharaoh Sanders too)

The only other contender to my mind is Ptah, the El Daoud though I agree with you that Journey is narrowly the best one. Out of keen and hungry interest, do you think there's another contender for the best Alice Coltrane album? I'd like to hear and be in love with more Alice but I think these two albums have spoiled me for the rest.

(I'll make some jazz recommendations here too but there's so much to chew over already - superb).

Mobbd

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 06, 2021, 12:32:39 AM
Continuing with sax and because The Sidewinder was mentioned up thread:

Joe Henderson - Page One

Oh go on then. Here's one thing I listened to this week that I loved.

Joe Henderson - In Japan.

It's a live set with an all Japanese band and its stunning. The quiet presence of the audience is a lovely thing for lockdown too.

It starts with 'Round Midnight which is nice enough but fuck me, hold on for the rest of it. Junk Blues and Out n' In are amazing.

kalowski

This is another incredible piece of work. I'd love this on vinyl.

chveik

Quote from: Mobbd on February 07, 2021, 05:43:24 PM
The only other contender to my mind is Ptah, the El Daoud though I agree with you that Journey is narrowly the best one. Out of keen and hungry interest, do you think there's another contender for the best Alice Coltrane album? I'd like to hear and be in love with more Alice but I think these two albums have spoiled me for the rest.

The Elements (collab with Joe Henderson)

buttgammon

Quote from: Mobbd on February 07, 2021, 05:43:24 PM
Thanks for this thread, kalowski, it's brilliant. I for one am working my way through the recommendations.

Oddly enough, I picked up Out to Lunch around the same time as you and I like it very much indeed.

(I'll make some jazz recommendations here too but there's so much to chew over already - superb).

It's mainly between those two but I have a soft spot for Universal Consciousness, it's just that it's something you're only likely to play when in a particular mood.

Mobbd

Quote from: chveik on February 07, 2021, 05:54:03 PM
The Elements (collab with Joe Henderson)

No shit? Don't know that one. Thanks, I'll have a look.

Quote from: buttgammon on February 07, 2021, 05:59:40 PM
It's mainly between those two but I have a soft spot for Universal Consciousness, it's just that it's something you're only likely to play when in a particular mood.

I've heard it but I'll give it more time. Thanks!

sweeper

Discovered Keith Jarret's Koln Concert a few months ago, and It's an absolute joy.

Anyone into Nubya Garcia and the newer London-centered artists? Some really exciting stuff has come out in recent times.

thugler

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 07, 2021, 04:29:49 PM
Have you heard the Olatunji concert? Brutal.

No I've not, will check that out. Sounds ideal

Mobbd

Quote from: sweeper on February 07, 2021, 06:17:03 PM
Anyone into Nubya Garcia and the newer London-centered artists? Some really exciting stuff has come out in recent times.

Yes! Just getting into her now. Like, as of about ten days ago.

Also Moses Boyd and the Sons of Kemet.

Fairly keen.

sweeper

Sons of Kemet are amazing. I seem to enjoy all Shabaka Hutchings' things, actually.

chveik

kalowski

My copy of Miles Davis' Porgy and Bess arrived today. It's an album I absolutely adore and I can't wait to play it again.

willbo

Quote from: sweeper on February 07, 2021, 06:17:03 PM
Discovered Keith Jarret's Koln Concert a few months ago, and It's an absolute joy.

yes, I also like Seed Ensemble and the afore-mentioned Angel Bat Dawid.

I had a bit of a mystical co-incidental experience last actually. I came home from being at the shop, and I was wishing I could listen to Seed Ensemble's album. I put radio bbc6 on, grumpily thinking, "oh well, it won't be them but I guess they'll be something ok on". It was playing Seed Ensemble...as i turned it on

Neomod

I love a bit of Jazz, me. Know nowt about the ins and outs but I know what I like and It's generally those languid west coast vibes.

This week i'm enjoying:

Sonny Rollins Alfie  Bought an old vinyl of this from The Record Album in Brighton back in the 80's with Bernard Herrmann's Taxi Driver and Manfred Mann's Up the Junction as I recall. Always a lovely listen.

Bill Evans Trio Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Bill Evans Moonbeams
Chet Baker Strollin
Gerry Mulligan Night Lights
Weekend Live at Ronnie Scotts
Lee Morgan Sonic Boom (I'm guessing most have seen the stylish/grim doc on Morgan that came out a few years ago)

Have been investigating some Emma-Jean Thackray lately. Not really my jam but intriguing.

RenegadeScrew

Miles Davis - On the Corner / Live Evil / In A Silent Way / Bitches Brew / Kind of Blue

Coltrane - Blue Train / A Love Supreme

Shakti - Natural Elements

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Donald Byrd - Black Byrd

I feel like the magnificent Fela Kuti deserves a mention.  Maybe it isn't jazz, or maybe it's more jazz than anything else.

Nik Bartch's Ronin and Portico Quartet worth a mention too because they are brilliant live.

timebug

Carla Bley and Paul Haines 'Escalator Over The Hill'. Originally a triple vinyl album, now a double CD. Mind blowing and quite funny in parts!

Petey Pate

If you're keen on 'third stream'/chamber jazz, give Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloe a spin/stream/download.

Mobbd

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 10, 2021, 10:42:40 AM
If you're keen on 'third stream'/chamber jazz, give Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloe a spin/stream/download.

Wistful sigh. Yes. I for one am keen. But newly keen. I was educated by this programme from NTS Radio in London, which is well worth anyone's time. It is beautiful, about 2 hours long and there are no ads. Patch it through your sound system from your phone is my advice. It's lovely stuff and highly illuminating: https://www.nts.live/shows/the-nts-guide-to/episodes/third-stream-jazz-28th-january-2021

Thanks for the Weber pointer. I'll have a butchers.

shagatha crustie

I don't rate Monk's quartet stuff as much as some but I'm loving his solo piano work at the mo.

That cheerfully unhinged, elegantly pissed quality, the sheer joyous aggression with which he smashes each key down, the deliberate 'mistakes.' Perfect for trying to keep it together while stuck in your flat. So all of Solo Monk, and this completely mad performance of 'Don't Blame Me.'

NoSleep

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 10, 2021, 10:42:40 AM

Is that the one you played last night on CaB Radio?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: shagatha crustie on February 10, 2021, 04:55:15 PM
I don't rate Monk's quartet stuff as much as some but I'm loving his solo piano work at the mo.

That cheerfully unhinged, elegantly pissed quality, the sheer joyous aggression with which he smashes each key down, the deliberate 'mistakes.' Perfect for trying to keep it together while stuck in your flat. So all of Solo Monk, and this completely mad performance of 'Don't Blame Me.'

There's a solo version of Round Midnight on a compilation called The Thelonious Monk Memorial Album that is just wonderful.

NoSleep

Quote from: timebug on February 10, 2021, 09:24:26 AM
Carla Bley and Paul Haines 'Escalator Over The Hill'. Originally a triple vinyl album, now a double CD. Mind blowing and quite funny in parts!

Seconded; especially the Overture, which features Charlie Haden on bass. Paul Jones (former vocalist of Manfred Mann/The Blues Band) cameos on one track and manages to top all the other featured vocalists (including Jack Bruce & Linda Ronstadt). There's a power trio on some tracks featuring John McLaughlin, Jack Bruce and Paul Motian (Keith Jarrett's drummer at the time), whilst other times there's full jazz orchestra playing in a style reminiscent of Hans Eisler or Kurt Weill.

Try and find a rip of the original triple LP set[nb]Or try and find a copy of the original US boxed set, pressed on "Dynaflex".[/nb] if you can, as there was some "post-production" on the CD (not a straightforward remaster).

Twit 2

Quote from: shagatha crustie on February 10, 2021, 04:55:15 PM

That is cracking. I really don't listen to enough Monk; he's one of those people who I almost don't bother checking out, because I'm so sure they are brilliant, which I know sounds strange, but the trouble, is even in just one genre of music, like jazz,  there are so many great players, you can't listen to them all. I've rinsed my Parker, Davis, Coltrane and Mingus (and a host of other artists) and still not got round to Monk enough.

shagatha crustie

If you enjoyed 'Don't Blame Me', here's the full performance including quartet numbers. 'Pannonica' is another wonderful solo piece - which I first heard in the Safdie Brothers' first feature film, The Pleasure of Being Robbed.

Elsewhere, 'Rosita' by Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster is the definition of blissed-out evening listening. Opium den levels of dusky decadence and delirium.