Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DIE JOGGERS DIE

Started by Rev+, February 06, 2021, 04:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDRR

Cuellar

JaDanketies

I ain't wearing a mask when I'm puffing and panting around the streets. I need to get as much oxygen to my wobbly muscles as possible lest I collapse like a beached jellyfish.

flotemysost

FWIW, I do wear a mask outside when I go for a walk at the moment, or at least certainly while I'm on narrow pavements/paths - I'll take it off once I get to a park or somewhere where it's more open and easy to distance though. Probably overkill, but I always put one on before leaving my flat anyway (just in case one of the neighbours is also out in the very narrow entrance bit of my building) so it's just easier to leave it on.

I can understand why runners wouldn't want to wear masks (I tried running in a mask a few times back in April and it was horrible, and obviously the ones with valves in are no good for containing the 'vid), even just walking in one I sometimes feel a bit breathless (though that's probably more just a sign of how hideously unfit I am). I suppose it just feels weird given that by now it's so drilled into us to distance from strangers at all times, I find a bit of an instinctive panic rises if someone goes right by me breathing heavily (especially now that it's cold and you can see people's breath trailing after them), even it's only for a second and the actual risk is negligible.

Cuellar

QuoteJoggers should wear a face covering when running past others, a leading scientist said this morning. Prof Trish Greenhalgh, professor in primary care health sciences at the University of Oxford, told Good Morning Britain:

There is no doubt the virus is in the air, there is no doubt that you can catch it if you inhale, and that someone else has exhaled.

The exercising jogger - the puffing and panting jogger - you can feel their breath come and you can sometimes actually feel yourself inhale it, so there's no doubt that there is a danger there.

Forty per cent of Covid cases happen by catching it from people who have no symptoms. So you're jogging along, you think you're fine, and then the next day you develop symptoms of Covid, but you've actually breathed that Covid onto someone perhaps you know, an old lady walking a dog or something like that ...

I've got a mask here and you can pull it up and pull it down and that takes two seconds to do.

So wear it when you're going along, jogging on the high street. Take it off when you get to the parks, what I did this morning. It's not difficult.

VINDICATED

Blue Jam

Quote from: JaDanketies on February 08, 2021, 05:29:18 PM
I ain't wearing a mask when I'm puffing and panting around the streets. I need to get as much oxygen to my wobbly muscles as possible lest I collapse like a beached jellyfish.

Same here. I have tried wearing a mask while running and cycling and it's fucking horrible, sorry guys. This is why I keep to the quieter paths though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah it's not realistic to expect joggers to wear masks. It's realistic to ask them to steer a good 6ft minimum away from others even if that means running on the road momentarily.

Cuellar

She does say to just pull it up to cover your mouth when you're passing people.

Pranet

Not really what this thread is about but most mornings on my way to work a power walker passes me and he really looks like he has been caught short and is desperate for a shit. One day I'm going to laugh.