Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,323
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:27:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you like bloopers?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 08, 2021, 07:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I never used to like bloopers much. I find them rather sameish, people mainly forgetting their lines and laughing, or laughing at other actors being silly.

However, I was watching the Office US series 4 bloopers on Youtube and they came across rather sweet and heartwarimg, the Office US cast seem like a group of really fun people.

Do you like bloopers? Fan of Dennis Norden's show?

Gulftastic

I love this one from 'Early Doors'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=066vTNZwFrU

Craig Cash trying and failing not to have the giggles and after the initial outburst is great, and John Henshaw nearly dying off camera.

Replies From View

Used to love them in the mid 90s when it was Denis Norden's programmes and VHS releases of Bottom Fluff and Red Dwarf Smeg Ups.

There was definitely a time when they started to become too ubiquitous though.  After a while it seemed like actors constantly had half an eye on outtake releases while they were filming, and getting things wrong was something to milk rather than something they had to try not to do.  It was a subtle shift, can't really tell you when I first noticed it.

I remember a particularly awful one where someone got their line wrong or something - and immediately they were literally rolling around on the floor with what they perceived to be unmitigated hilarity.

Magnum Valentino

The worst gag feels are the ones set to 'wacky' music and just feature actors laughing or pulling funny faces. Give me fifteen minutes of people getting their lines wrong and the warmth of genuine set camaderie.

I'm thinking of the Wire gag reels here. Worst I've ever seen.

I do like bloopers aye. I like seeing people enjoying themselves and in particular comedians (excluding Ricky Gervais) not being able to keep it together for funny scenes.

There's a scale. Julia Louis Dreyfus' reaction to Jerry Stiller saying "what the hell does that mean" is at the top of the scale, and Jason Alexander's is at the bottom.

Gervais is on a separate scale.

On the subject of Seinfeld bloopers, I remember Michael Richards being genuinely pissed off if someone corpsed in one of his scenes. It's bloody funny seeing him turn from Kramer into this bloke who has a zero tolerance policy on fun.

Fambo Number Mive

I've just realised I've posted this twice in two subforums. Really sorry about this, I'm posting while eating biscuits and watching The Office (UK) and I thought I hadn't hit post on the Picture Box one when I was dithering over where to post it. Apologies.

Icehaven

I always liked the ones at the end of Liar Liar, where Swoosie Kurtz yells "Overactor!!" at Jim Carrey, and they all fall about before Carrey mugs up to the camera and says "They're on to me!"

Chollis

I like most of them. Some can make me laugh just as much as the show.
They have to be genuine obviously, like these two scenes I'd find almost impossible to do without breaking (Rickety Cricket and Creampies from Always Sunny) https://youtu.be/xECmmlNIu40?t=107

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 08, 2021, 07:04:09 PM
However, I was watching the Office US series 4 bloopers on Youtube and they came across rather sweet and heartwarimg, the Office US cast seem like a group of really fun people.

ohh that's a good call, I've never watched any of those

"Oh hey Toby, can you close the door on your way out" ahhhhha

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: icehaven on February 08, 2021, 07:45:10 PM
I always liked the ones at the end of Liar Liar, where Swoosie Kurtz yells "Overactor!!" at Jim Carrey, and they all fall about before Carrey mugs up to the camera and says "They're on to me!"

I was just watching that yesterday and said to my wife how false it seemed (like mentioned upthread), a slightly sickening display of how great it is to work with Jim Carrey (who I nonetheless admire), a pat on the back from someone.

I was delighted when she called him out for overacting.

Replies From View

That outtake is what made me start praying for Jim Carrey's jaw to fall off.  Where's a tendency to suck radium paint off paintbrushes when you need one.

Quote from: Chollis on February 08, 2021, 08:12:41 PM
I like most of them. Some can make me laugh just as much as the show.
They have to be genuine obviously, like these two scenes I'd find almost impossible to do without breaking (Rickety Cricket and Creampies from Always Sunny) https://youtu.be/xECmmlNIu40?t=107

The ones with the McPoyles are always great - this one in particular is amazing.

Magnum Valentino

I've always maintained that the Bugs Bunny in a dress question in the first Wayne's World gets a genuine reaction from Mike Myers. If that's not real laughter I'll eat my hat (after it's been fucked in recognition of my shock).

Any other 'bloopers' that made their way into the final product?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on February 08, 2021, 07:22:13 PM
On the subject of Seinfeld bloopers, I remember Michael Richards being genuinely pissed off if someone corpsed in one of his scenes. It's bloody funny seeing him turn from Kramer into this bloke who has a zero tolerance policy on fun.

Link

I was always able to appreciate where Michael Richards was coming from (in this particular case, I hasten to add).  He's frustrated at his co-stars ruining takes, when it can be difficult or even impossible to replicate a performance on a subsequent take.

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on February 08, 2021, 07:22:13 PM
...a zero tolerance policy on fun.

Anyone who's ever dabbled in acting like I have and corpsed during takes will be able to tell you that it's not fun at all.  It's a form of lunacy and hysteria.  You're laughing because you know that it's the worst thing that you could possibly do in that moment because it will ruin the take.  It's an involuntary reaction; a complete lack of self-control, born out of pressure and fear and it's maddening, both for the person corpsing and for the people filming/co-acting.  There's fuck all fun about it in the moment.

It's the giggle loop.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 08, 2021, 10:24:50 PM
I've always maintained that the Bugs Bunny in a dress question in the first Wayne's World gets a genuine reaction from Mike Myers. If that's not real laughter I'll eat my hat (after it's been fucked in recognition of my shock).

No need to scoff your homburg, as you are entirely correct. They kept it in because it's charming.

Similarly, Diane Keaton is genuinely laughing at Woody Allen during the famous lobster scene from Annie Hall

non capisco

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 08, 2021, 10:40:54 PM
Link

I was always able to appreciate where Michael Richards was coming from (in this particular case, I hasten to add).  He's frustrated at his co-stars ruining takes, when it can be difficult or even impossible to replicate a performance on a subsequent take.

Anyone who's ever dabbled in acting like I have and corpsed during takes will be able to tell you that it's not fun at all.  It's a form of lunacy and hysteria.  You're laughing because you know that it's the worst thing that you could possibly do in that moment because it will ruin the take.  It's an involuntary reaction; a complete lack of self-control, born out of pressure and fear and it's maddening, both for the person corpsing and for the people filming/co-acting.  There's fuck all fun about it in the moment.

It's the giggle loop.

Alright mate, corpsing is a deadly serious problem and definitely not a bit of harmless tittering. Hope you got all the help you needed to get through it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on February 09, 2021, 12:09:50 AM
Alright mate, corpsing is a deadly serious problem and definitely not a bit of harmless tittering. Hope you got all the help you needed to get through it.

I'm not an actor, but everything St Eddie said makes perfect sense.

Mobius

jamiefairlie

Yeah it's a painful business. The worst I ever experienced was on the first day of my first job way back in the 80s. It was a video training course for Cobol programming and it was a classic 70s Open University type thing, which was funny enough, but the presenter was the spitting image of prime 70s Roger De Courcey with kipper tie, massive lapels and huge sideburns. as soon as i saw him I just instinctively whispered "fuck's sake, at least he left nookie behind' and the guy next to me started to snigger and then the other guy beside me started to do the full silent suppressed laughing chest heaving. That started me off and we spent a full 30 minutes setting each other off again and again. It was really painful but looking back on it, it always makes me laugh all over again. Such a strange experience.

Here's to you Rog

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 08, 2021, 10:24:50 PM

One of the things I like about IASIP is that the cast obviously love working together and have a blast, and you can see that because there are many takes that are left in the final show where you can clearly see Mac smiling in the background, or they cut away just as he starts corpsing.

up_the_hampipe

The X Files had some mad outtakes, specifically this one with Mulder and Skinner https://youtu.be/DKqog79ioPo?t=683

QDRPHNC

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 09, 2021, 07:09:53 AM
One of the things I like about IASIP is that the cast obviously love working together and have a blast, and you can see that because there are many takes that are left in the final show where you can clearly see Mac smiling in the background, or they cut away just as he starts corpsing.

Yeah, you can see him doing it during this bit. Amazed he keeps it together so well, looks like he's about to crack.

Replies From View

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 09, 2021, 02:52:45 AM

Hardly a new face, is it?  Unless they're talking about the inflated Sooty there.

jamiefairlie

He was only 14 there, the 60s were hard on children.

Utter Shit

The bloopers from the two Anchorman films are the gold standard for me, along with the Extras and The Office (UK) ones.

The outtakes from After Life are very good as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgkafpLSB4k

Glebe

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 09, 2021, 05:26:12 PMThe bloopers from the two Anchorman films are the gold standard for me

I came here to post "Grim-grom?"!

Blue Jam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 09, 2021, 07:09:53 AM

My favourite example has to be Mac at the end of this:

https://youtu.be/OynSXUfx5vs

Replies From View

bloopers is a horrible word, by the way

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 09, 2021, 05:26:12 PM
The bloopers from the two Anchorman films are the gold standard for me

The Anchorman 2 bloopers are funnier than the movie itself.

studpuppet

I only have to say, "wicker shit" to my sister and she cracks, each and every time.