Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

10 years for lying on a form

Started by Endicott, February 09, 2021, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55995645

QuoteTravellers arriving into England who lie on their passenger locator forms about visiting a red list country face a fine of £10,000 or up to 10 years in jail.

The authoritarian dream has landed.

PlanktonSideburns

christ

i could lure a mountain rescue crew to their death for less than that

jobotic

Are "High Value" travellers still exempt?

I have urgent business in Johannesburg and I am not going to let the Udigawa deal slip through my fingers into Paul fucking Robinson's greasy mitts. Not again.

Pinball

This is stressing me out. I think I'll 'do a Tom' and fly to Barbados for a break, as no-one seems to care about that. Not like anything bad could happen, like, say, dying.

Fambo Number Mive

Keep reading the title as "10 years for lying on a forum".

lipsink

What's the sentence for making up quotes in a newspaper article?

(SATIRE)

Petey Pate

These days, you get arrested and thrown in jail, just for coming into England.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 10, 2021, 08:29:05 AM
Keep reading the title as "10 years for lying on a forum".

No you don't.

I hope they throw away the key.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Uncle TechTip

Back in March many people were calling for action like this and now in February, with dangerous new variants all over the shop, many people call it Draconian. Which?

El Unicornio, mang

10 years seems excessive, particularly with murder sometimes getting people only 50% more prison time, but it also seems like something which can very easily be avoided by just not lying on a form.

Endicott

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 10, 2021, 01:53:03 PM
Back in March many people were calling for action like this and now in February, with dangerous new variants all over the shop, many people call it Draconian. Which?

I don't believe I was suggesting any such dichotomy.

Travel restrictions and enforcing isolation is a proven sensible thing to do. Fining people and/or jailing those who won't[nb]ignoring for the moment people who can't afford to pay[/nb] pay is also fine. It's the max amount and the max time that is disproportionate.

Call it a thin edge of the wedge if you like, although the wedge already seems to have been driven half home.

metaltax

Doesn't go far enough for me. 10 years and surrender your passport for life. That'd do just nicely.

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: Endicott on February 10, 2021, 02:40:39 PM
It's the max amount and the max time that is disproportionate.

If we're going with COVID being a danger to all and sundry, then anyone who lies on the form is basically saying they're willing to kill an unknown number of strangers, with no real upper limit, purely to save themselves a bit of bother. Which should be punishable with either hanging or a lifelong membership of the Conservative party.

earl_sleek

Feed them to the dogs, and give the dogs AIDS.

poo

Gurke and Hare

https://twitter.com/daliagebrial/status/1359556432350375942

Quotebotswana, which had 0 new  cases today is on the 'red list', meaning if you come from there and don't quarantine in a hotel (costing £2k) you can get 10 years in jail

BUT the US, which has had 96,460 new cases today is....not.

Looks like it's not really about covid, is it.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on February 10, 2021, 07:06:07 PM
Botswana

Botswana had 0 new cases today because they only report cases every two or three days.

That said, the point is of course that heavily-affected countries like the US seem to be getting let off.

evilcommiedictator

How many years do you get for lying on your vision test?

Bernice

These days, if you say you didn't come from Botswana, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

jobotic

Quote from: Bernice on February 11, 2021, 11:52:26 AM
These days, if you say you didn't come from Botswana, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

Heh

I saw that on Facebook - is it not because it shares a border with South Africa where the South African variant comes from?

It's just luck that high value people don't live there.