Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blue Jam CD: Is it worth getting?

Started by M-CORP, February 09, 2021, 08:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-CORP

So I have FLAC copies on my phone of every episode of Blue Jam. The abridged CD that was released at the time has some nice artwork, and is a different experience to the main episodes because I know there's more focus on sketches and the backing music is significantly different, but do people think it works as a best-of episode; do the segues and different choices of music work, does it flow alright? Or is it a pointless purchase? Would be grateful to hear the thoughts of those who have the CD.

lipsink

I'll always have a soft spot for the Blue Jam CD cos it was my proper introduction to it (after hearing bits of one episode by accident a few years earlier and not knowing what the fuck it was). I listened to it constantly through University and still have it somewhere so I'm pretty nostalgic about it. It seems a pretty perfect introduction to the show and works well as a Best Of too. Though, if you already have the entire episodes it's probably not essential to have it (I do reckon some of the music choices for the sketches are better on the CD though)

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

It was my introduction to Blue Jam and my feeling is that the CD is ultimately a bit of a misrepresentation of the Radio Show. I feel it focused on showcasing the darkness of Blue Jam - which is doubtlessly part of the overall concoction - but at the cost of some of the silliness. When I eventually managed to get hold of the originally broadcast shows, it was astonishing. A much richer palette of tones revealed itself.

Plus, it's a bit of a cliche at this point, but the long form music show aspect of the original broadcasts is definitely part of what makes it so great.

I'm glad to own the physical edition as a collector, but it's not a patch on the radio broadcasts.

danwho9

The CD definitely has a different feel to the show itself and it highlights more of the proper dark surreal side of the show (particularly the likes of Unflustered Parents). Absolutely worth picking up though for both the appropriately downtempo backing music and decent collection of sketches.

BlodwynPig

If you play it backwards there is a part that says "Joe Biden is a paedo"

Spiral King

It's nice to have, if you're gunning for a "full collection" (as is my way), but as a listening experience, it's quite lacklustre. It's also pertinent to note that two of the sketches (the "Suicide Journalist" monologue and the Andrew Morton interview) have significant cuts. Presumably to fit them on a CD, but it makes both the lesser for it.

I think a nice little custom Blue Jam project would be stringing together a SUPER compilation episode of the Best Of CD material, with all the music that these sketches originally fed into inserted back in. Would probably require more mixing skills and audio tech skills than I have currently though.

Having the actual CD/packaging IS very nice though. It has this very interesting reflective electric-blue ink used for the fonts and it doesn't translate very well digitally.

M-CORP

Quote from: Spiral King on February 16, 2021, 12:10:11 AM
I think a nice little custom Blue Jam project would be stringing together a SUPER compilation episode of the Best Of CD material, with all the music that these sketches originally fed into inserted back in. Would probably require more mixing skills and audio tech skills than I have currently though.

Having the actual CD/packaging IS very nice though. It has this very interesting reflective electric-blue ink used for the fonts and it doesn't translate very well digitally.

I might see if I can give that a crack. Same sketches, with the music that was originally used, plus the songs that they segued into. The start is just the first 15 minutes of episode 4 so it might be a not-too-arduous job.

Then I'm thinking of doing another best-of mix I'm affectionately titling the 'Sissy Blubberwheeps' mix. Exactly 60 minutes, greater variety of sketches from across the three series, no music (or perhaps a two-hour special with sketches and music). I'd try to be as comprehensive as possible but it'd be entirely my favourite sketches, favourite monologue, favourite interview, favourite versions of running gags, etc.

Time and enthusiasm permitting of course.

Spiral King

Quote from: M-CORP on February 16, 2021, 05:18:23 PM
I might see if I can give that a crack. Same sketches, with the music that was originally used, plus the songs that they segued into. The start is just the first 15 minutes of episode 4 so it might be a not-too-arduous job.

Then I'm thinking of doing another best-of mix I'm affectionately titling the 'Sissy Blubberwheeps' mix. Exactly 60 minutes, greater variety of sketches from across the three series, no music (or perhaps a two-hour special with sketches and music). I'd try to be as comprehensive as possible but it'd be entirely my favourite sketches, favourite monologue, favourite interview, favourite versions of running gags, etc.

Time and enthusiasm permitting of course.

I'd love to sample the fruits of any of these labours! Hope you can wangle the time somehow.

And while we're talking about this: Can anyone tell me about the mooted "second volume" of Blue Jam that Morris was supposedly working on for WARP? I know it was mentioned on the site somewhere years ago, but Googling has me coming up dry. I seem to remember there was even a track-listing, but that might be entirely my imagination.

RHX

Quote from: Spiral King on February 16, 2021, 06:14:59 PM
I'd love to sample the fruits of any of these labours! Hope you can wangle the time somehow.

And while we're talking about this: Can anyone tell me about the mooted "second volume" of Blue Jam that Morris was supposedly working on for WARP? I know it was mentioned on the site somewhere years ago, but Googling has me coming up dry. I seem to remember there was even a track-listing, but that might be entirely my imagination.

Here it is! https://twitter.com/maryannehobbs/status/914023553594511360?lang=en

the

Quote from: RHX on February 28, 2021, 05:32:55 PMHere it is! https://twitter.com/maryannehobbs/status/914023553594511360?lang=en

QuoteChris Morris fans
you won't believe what i found for you this week!
extracts from the original 'Blue Jam 2' Breezeblock Mix on @BBC6Music