Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:24:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ridley vs Tony

Started by peanutbutter, February 11, 2021, 12:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Spy Game is one of the higher rated Tony Scott ones on Letterboxd, never saw it before but it looks great!

Tried watching Black Hawk Down a few Sundays ago and had to turn it off, which I basically never do with whatever shite I put on at that time. Def remember American Gangster being good though.

Ridley's films I like:
- Alien
- Blade Runner (not a big fan, but it looks great)
- Thelma & Louise
- Matchstick Men
- American Gangster
(haven't seen but might like: the Duellists, Black Rain)

Tony's:
- True Romance
- Man on Fire
- Crimson Tide
- The Hunger
- The Last Boy Scout
- Unstoppable
- Enemy of the State
- Deja Vu
(haven't seen but might like: Domino, Top Gun, Spy Game)

mothman

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 12, 2021, 01:23:12 AM
I really liked Spy Game and forgot the plot as well.

There isn't really one. There's a narrative, sure, but it's a combination of flashbacks and framing story.

And I'd completely forgotten about Black Rain and The Last Boy Scout! I think I need to start from scratch with my list.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 11, 2021, 08:55:00 PM
but that doesn't mean that I ignore factual evidence and create my own narrative out of thin air in order to excuse his bad creative choices.

Again though "factual evidence" is going to be the public pronouncements we get which I don't deem as automatically trustworthy, especially in this situation were they are very heavily geared to shorter term PR, I mean what we know about the making of Blade Runner for example really only came out slowly over a number of years didn't it? even then only because the film was so loved and suspect because the producers were oddballs outside the regular studio system and arguably PR culture wasn't enforced as heavily in Hollywood.

Honestly though even if you think it was Scott's design alone to hire Llindelof and the studio played no part on his script its still a very Lindelof like script isn't it? very similar to something like Cowboys and Aliens, basically the idea that latter day Scott seems more at the mercy of his script writters than he was in his earlier years. I think you'd have a tougher time identifying a "Ridley Scott film" as time goes on, there are still similarities(especially his love of the burnt out look of the early 00's) but not to the degree of films like The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner and Legend.

I don't think Ridley's career is really one of slow decline but quite an abrupt switch in the kind of director he is, if anything he's been impressively consistant in his latter day work with the quality of the script being the biggest factor.

notjosh

Watched Unstoppable recently; a great throwback disaster thriller. Really wish there were more films like it nowadays.

The Culture Bunker

I've not seen 'The Last Boy Scout' in 25 years or so - I did like it, but wonder if it'd be better with someone else than Bruce Willis, as my memory is that he plays his character a bit too alike to John McClane. But then, that may be more down to the similarities in character and perhaps the reason he got the gig.

greenman

Quote from: notjosh on February 12, 2021, 11:37:35 AM
Watched Unstoppable recently; a great throwback disaster thriller. Really wish there were more films like it nowadays.

Yeah might well be my favourite of his since the 90's and I can imagine him sticking with that kind of formula for awhile. I spose the Pelham remake was somewhat along those lines as well and whilst maybe not as good as the original certainly no disgrace to it IMHO.

Only semi on topic perhaps but rewatching Top Gun recently for the first time in probably 15 years or more was a bit of a surprise, how much my view of it had been influenced by the "boys own militaristic/homoerotic fantasy" hype. There is some of that and I spose it was one of the early examples of blockbusters working with the US military but really the bulk of the film feels less Rambo sequels and more like a romance novel of said era, bad boy Cruise revealing his troubled soul to a good woman.

You could argue that Four Rooms moniolog from Tarantino wasn't intended seriously I spose(although I'm not so sure) but the degree it was taken up on does really seem pretty dated now doesn't it? that basically having a male character to appeal to a female audience in that fashion is equated with only homosexuality

dissolute ocelot

I definitely feel Ridley Scott is vastly overrated. Not wishing to insult anyone, maybe it's just something I'm not getting. At best, he's skilled at undemanding middle-brow entertainment that throws in a few talking points so it's not completely mindless, but his skill is good management of resources. The result is impressive in the way a big statue of someone on a horse is impressive, but soulless and empty and just a bit dull. Maybe it's just that men shouting a lot and waving weapons really isn't my thing.

Even Blade Runner is (whisper it) overrated. There are great scenes, mainly those with Hauer, but the middle is a boring slog. Brilliant production design, a generally good cast, but the screenplay is half-arsed with very little to say about the difference between robots and humans, and it's no wonder Ridley's spent most of his life tinkering with it.

Thelma and Louise is fine; it came at the right time and had a great cast and a solid screenplay (despite the end), but beyond the image of two women getting in a fast car, what did it really say about feminism?

The Duellists is fucking boring. If I wanted to look at people doing nothing in pretty fields, there are other options.

Most of his later films are totally soulless and efficient.

You would have to be perverse to argue most of Tony Scott's films are good in any high-art sense, but he consistently made entertaining, fast-moving action films that catch up the viewer's most basic emotions in their excitement and flashing lights. He is terrible with female characters and seems to have no idea of how human beings behave, think or talk. But if you're in the mood for some fun, Tony's the go-to guy.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 12, 2021, 02:11:42 AM

- Blade Runner (not a big fan, but it looks great)

Although I also ranked Blade Runner in second place, it belongs there purely on the visuals alone. It's one of those films I admire more than like. If I'm ever in the mood for watching a film about robots going haywire, it's Westworld or Hardware for me every time.

mothman

I'm just going to cop out and put my top ten in chronological order.

The Duellists
Blade Runner
Legend
Black Rain
The Last Boy Scout
True Romance
Gladiator
Spy Game
Man On Fire
The Martian

A 60-40 Ridley/Tony split.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 12, 2021, 09:23:35 PM
Although I also ranked Blade Runner in second place, it belongs there purely on the visuals alone. It's one of those films I admire more than like. If I'm ever in the mood for watching a film about robots going haywire, it's Short Circuit 2 or Batteries Not Included for me every time.
Fixed.

greenman

Personally if anything I think Blade Runner is still a bit underrated in terms of being considered only "good looking", I actually think it manages to make its atmosphere/tone suit its drama very well.