Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the 'punk' of video games?

Started by Chedney Honks, February 11, 2021, 09:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Chedney Honks

Best possible answer. Please delete the thread, mods.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Sonic? Spikey hair, speeds around everywhere.

Jerzy Bondov

Probably some fucking mad as fuck game that's buried in the BLM bundle

samadriel

Quote from: Bazooka on February 11, 2021, 10:29:12 AM

Y. Signal and the Joseph lads.
Joseph? That's Galsia where I'm from. Actually, tell me, where are they called Joseph?

I don't think the art of game-making is spontaneous enough to be punk. Curious to hear otherwise though.

70's punk was in part about re-capturing the speed and energy of earlier rock and roll, and shunning the progressive, literary, high art tendencies that had crept into rock since the late 60's. So my suggestion for a games analogy (despite it's creator's hippy persona) would probably be Jeff Minter's Lllamatron (1992), in that it's the first game I know about that was self-consciously a throwback to the simple and immediate pleasures of the earliest arcade games, in the face of an increasingly games sophisticated scene. And like punk rock, it had a home-made/DIY way of being distributed, you had to write to Minter himself if I recall.

Blue Jam

Quote from: samadriel on February 11, 2021, 10:45:19 AM
Joseph? That's Galsia where I'm from. Actually, tell me, where are they called Joseph?

Joseph is a more aggressive version of Galsia with more health. You get Josephs later on in the game.

Operty1

How to be a complete bastard on the Spectrum.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mortal Kombat. The extreme content caused a massive moral panic, with pearl-clutching parent groups and conservative media forces calling for it to be banned. Rebellious youths wanted it even more.

You know the rest, with age ratings being introduced for games. Plus blood cheats on "censored" home versions of the first MK, that grown ups didn't know about.

Hand Solo

It would represent the push back against the bloated prog-rock wankery of the 70s back to simple 3 chord stompers etc so very much like the retro game explosion after all the successful titles were expensive 3d affairs from large teams, the return to pixel art and one man or very small teams putting together commercially successful games entirely on their own like the old bedroom coder spectrum days. So I'd go with something like Cave Story, or maybe Super Meat Boy.

More recently there was Baba Is You which is basically almost like coding the dynamics of the game as you play as the actual dynamic.

NoSleep

I think Aqua Teen Hunger Force's Zombie Ninja Pro-Am probably qualifies here. I wonder sometimes if the glitchiness of the game is intentional. It's kinda punk like Sam Raimi's films are, where you see past the set in some scenes but it doesn't matter. Not a great game but I enjoyed it enough to play to the end and then tried to improve my score on individual levels.

NoSleep

And all of Jeff Minter's games, of course; especially Llamatron. He was an early proponent of shareware, too, trying to bypass the games publishers to maintain his independence.

lazarou

Chris Sievey pouring his years of bitter music industry experience into The Biz then putting a bunch of his own songs on the b-side for me.

kittens

i regret to this very day thinking of, then deciding against, posting 'Cyberpunk 2077' back when this thread had zero replies. it took someone with huge balls to get in here and post that and get all the deserved plaudits and that someone was not me. congratulations mad hair 60 the better man won.

Bazooka

Probably the first Punk hate crime series.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on February 12, 2021, 09:41:04 AM

Probably the first Punk hate crime series.

And after all the good work the first game did for positive sailor representation :(

Chedney Honks

Apologies for the typo in the thread title.

I meant what is the 'point' of video games?

The Mollusk

Something chaotic and stupid and looks like trash and is loads of mindless fun despite being annoyingly antagonistic.

So, Realistic Summer Sports Simulator.