Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:12:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the 'punk' of video games?

Started by Chedney Honks, February 11, 2021, 09:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 13, 2021, 02:31:15 AM
Shirley the Prog of games would be one of Hideo Kojima's absurd works.

Good call. What would the Jazz of games be? No Man's Sky?

PlanktonSideburns

NoSleep

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 13, 2021, 10:23:38 PM
Good call. What would the Jazz of games be? No Man's Sky?

Civilisation III as played by this guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvJNJ8HF5BWrErL-RpvqbYQ/videos

Or Age Of Empires II in standard or multiplayer modes.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Not about to get into a discussion of what is or isn't good art so i'll not be derailing this here thread x

Zetetic

I don't think that's what I was aiming at. Rather, I wasn't sure that you'd be able to point to anyone with zero experience of whatever medium they were involved in producing art in or zero time spent producing it.

Blue Jam

Is speedrunning the Yngwie Malmsteen of video games?

Lungpuddle

Huh, I thought the answer was Doom (1993). Or anything by the Oliver twins, although I've never played any of their games. The way they made games struck me as at least sort-of-punk(ish)? Am I way off the mark?

Cold Meat Platter

What is the 'first person shooter' of ballet?

greenman

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on February 11, 2021, 10:56:54 AM
70's punk was in part about re-capturing the speed and energy of earlier rock and roll, and shunning the progressive, literary, high art tendencies that had crept into rock since the late 60's. So my suggestion for a games analogy (despite it's creator's hippy persona) would probably be Jeff Minter's Lllamatron (1992), in that it's the first game I know about that was self-consciously a throwback to the simple and immediate pleasures of the earliest arcade games, in the face of an increasingly games sophisticated scene. And like punk rock, it had a home-made/DIY way of being distributed, you had to write to Minter himself if I recall.

By that measure perhaps you could argue the real divide was between gaming that focused on graphics and grand narratives and gaming that focused on mechanics? By that standard maybe Nintendos fall and rise in the 90's and 00's fits most closely to punk?

Chedney Honks

I wish my serious threads got this much interest.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Assume we have had HOW TO BE A COMPLETE BASTARD by now.

NoSleep

Sonny_Jim

Put me down for Minter//Llamasoft as well.  Punk songs (to me) are simple, repetitive, catchy, not overly polished.  Just like Llamasoft games.  Also Moose Life is due out for PSVR on Tuesday.  Woo.

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2021, 09:44:13 AM
Tetris on a Gameboy set to 9.
Put the Gameboy flat on the table and use your fingers rather than your thumb, means you can stab at the buttons quicker.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: bgmnts on February 12, 2021, 06:55:17 PM
There was a game called State of Emergency where you literally join a riot and start fucking up shops and kicking the shit out of everyone for no discernible reason I can remember. Is that punk or just criminal?

Quote from: WikipediaIn 2023, the United States government was weakened by an economic crisis. In response, the American Trade Organization, most commonly known as "The Corporation", builds a para-militaristic force and overthrows the government, taking over the United States of America and establishing a corporatised totalitarian police state.

"Ha ha, such a thing could never happen as soon as 2023!" the makers giggled to themselves.

beanheadmcginty

That game where you had to try and not shit your pants. I think it was called "Don't Shit Your Pants".

Blue Jam

What about the anti-establishment aspect of punk?

The world of Crackdown 3 has neon signs advertising "Theresa's Food Banks", and it's a 2019 game about taking down a corrupt government. Untitled Goose Game has
Spoiler alert
that little message about the Kulin Nation
[close]
in the credits and the developers have supported and publicised the Pay The Rent movement.

I still think Untitled Goose Game wins this.

Zetetic

Quote from: Lungpuddle on February 14, 2021, 02:31:09 AM
Or anything by the Oliver twins, although I've never played any of their games. The way they made games struck me as at least sort-of-punk(ish)?
I'll admit that Dizzy as a concept strikes me as something that might well have been shat out fairly instantaneously without any prior contact with humanity, so I might have to revise my views on some of GoblinAhFuckScary's points...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 14, 2021, 12:28:20 PM

The world of Crackdown 3 has neon signs advertising "Theresa's Food Banks", and it's a 2019 game about taking down a corrupt government.

I think that's more like a big-budget high-production-values rock band taking a similar political stance. e.g. "Animals" by Pink Floyd or "Hail to the Thief"by Radiohead.

GoblinAhFuckScary

NoSleep

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 14, 2021, 12:28:20 PM

Elite probably fits the bill there, as the game isn't linear, so you can be a pirate or a bounty hunter, have shootouts with police or bounty hunters and then capture them when they use their escape pod and sell them into slavery for profit, trade in narcotics, etc. Choose to visit systems whose government is anarchist.

Or you could be an honest trader or miner fending off all the above in your travels.

Although the fact that you can pretty much follow any path that catches your fancy along the way probably qualifies it as a jazz game.

Blue Jam

On second thoughts I think No Man's Sky might be the Brian Eno of video games.

evilcommiedictator

What is the music version of Football Manager 2021

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 14, 2021, 08:23:16 AM
I wish my serious threads got this much interest.

Yea but this threads really good tho

Johnny Textface

This is exact thread title also appears on another forum I occasionally frequent.

I got confused.

Thursday

Lol, you're finished Chedney. Dox him Johnny Textface.