Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:08:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Country, New Road

Started by danwho9, February 11, 2021, 04:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 13, 2021, 01:23:23 PMSometimes this place is a bit like the balcony in The Muppets.

At least people are replying to this thread, something increasingly rare on this forum with regards to music which is less than two decades old.

holyzombiejesus

That's true. For me, there's not that much new stuff out that I'm interested in, certainly not new bands anyway. Not sure if it's because of lockdown and labels holding on to stuff until bands can tour but I really struggled with finding anything new to listen to last year.

Chicory

Not sure why it takes seven of them but they're a bit more interesting than the current crop of 'angular' Lamacq Rock bands fronted by some berk doing a bad Mark E Smith impression.

wosl

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 13, 2021, 01:23:23 PMI'm giving the album a first listen right now and I quite like it, it's fun. It's not earth shattering or anything but I'm glad some kids not long out of their teens are making music like this.

Really like the instrumental opener, as a track and as a sequencing decision. Knees-up-at-a-Jewish-wedding-reception sort of thing, combined with some nifty, limber drumming and a touch of squall here and there.  A spirited performance and a neat 'firecracker' to lob in at the outset. And then ole rattletrap-voice comes in with his tribulations for track two. Hmm.

purlieu

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 12, 2021, 01:45:42 PMI blame Mogwai for taking the dynamics of bands like Slint and Rodan and simplifying them into "quiet bit... quiet bit building... LOUD BIT... quiet again... building... LOUD CRESCENDO feel emotions now" leading to all those shite bands with names like And So I Exploded From Afar Like A Glittering Dog Poo In The Sky.
Well, it's mostly Godspeed, isn't it? Mogwai had some following, but the hype that got behind Godspeed really helped make that sound a genre. There's 'post-rock' and there's 'post-Godspeed'. It's a shame, really, because I actually enjoy that structure when it's employed well. To return to my earlier post in this thread, Karl Hyde's solo album is very post-rock in the mid-'90s definition of the term, in the unusual instrumentation and song structures, then the penultimate track is a ten minuter that builds as it goes along, to a genuinely emotional climax. When I first heard it it was a wonderful reminder of how effective that kind of track can really be when utilised sparingly.
Instead, the term post-rock has almost become synonymous with 'repeats and gets louder until it reaches a climax', which is just depressing, because the idea of a (very limited) song structure as a genre is really grim.

Black Country New Road clearly have good musicianship and a certain amount of creativity behind them, and I'm hopeful they'll move beyond the fairly tame blending of post-Godspeed and post-punk that they're working with at the moment.

Head Gardener

Quote from: wosl on February 13, 2021, 06:07:10 PM
Really like the instrumental opener, as a track and as a sequencing decision. Knees-up-at-a-Jewish-wedding-reception sort of thing, combined with some nifty, limber drumming and a touch of squall here and there.  A spirited performance and a neat 'firecracker' to lob in at the outset. And then ole rattletrap-voice comes in with his tribulations for track two. Hmm.

that's my fave track too, am opening this weeks mix with it on Friday night, it's a great tune to kick off with

phantom_power

Their music Festival appearance is on iPlayer at the moment and they do seem like a decent live act, even given the sterile atmosphere of paying to no-one. You do not expect that voice to come out of that face though