Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:33:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Gorman's Wacky Youtube Life-Is-Goodish Upload Adventure (FOR CUNTS!)

Started by H-O-W-L, February 12, 2021, 04:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

So, Dave Gorman (or one of his associates?) has uploaded all of the Modern Life is Goodish show to Youtube. I've been watching through it the last week, having not encountered much Gorman in the past, and... it's pretty alright? Decent background noise for me second monitor, and quite tickling at times. I understand he's viewed of as quite a cunt and very repetitive here on CAB but I think this show is pretty alright. Didn't see a thread on it so I figured I'd bring it up.

Hand Solo

I saw one show he did where he revised the week and calendar to be more logical and obviously slapped his name all over it, but I had seen a years old presentation by another bloke online who was ostensibly not a comedian and the entire presentation was nicked hook, line and stinker.

Bit of a cunt.

Phil_A

Is he still doing the same shtick as he was twenty years ago? He seems like the literal definition of a one trick pony.

Magnum Valentino

turnstyle

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 12, 2021, 05:49:45 PM
Dave "Gimmicks" Gorman, is that unfair?

What came first, Power Point or Dave Gorman?

Spoiler alert
Dave Gorman. Power Point was invented in 1987, while Gormo was invented in 1971.
[close]

Rolf Lundgren

I like Dave, always good value. Always preferred his longer shows to Life is Goodish but has it's moments and is amusing enough. The spoken poetry bit is grim though and I hurt every time he does his fake corpsing but not the biggest crime in the world.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on February 12, 2021, 06:56:51 PM
I like Dave, always good value. Always preferred his longer shows to Life is Goodish but has it's moments and is amusing enough. The spoken poetry bit is grim though and I hurt every time he does his fake corpsing but not the biggest crime in the world.

Nor is shacking up with Danny Wallace the comedy reviewer as your flatmate then getting him to conveniently plug all your stuff, before both forging trailblazing careers based on fake wacky drunken comedy journey bets you spin-off into publishing deals.

The Lurker

The episodes about lookalikes and the one where he sets up that fake music quiz are particular gems

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Phil_A on February 12, 2021, 05:44:08 PM
Is he still doing the same shtick as he was twenty years ago? He seems like the literal definition of a one trick pony.

After Goodish he had another show on Dave, different format and it was so forgettable I can't remember how it went, he should have stuck to what he's good at and made some more Goodish because I liked that.

jimboslice

Goodish was great, you could tell a lot of effort went into it and I used to look forward to it. I agree that the spoken word poetry bit was shite though.

JamesTC

The episodes on Neil Sean's Doctor Who DVD and those shitty animated films were wonderful.

vainsharpdad

I like Dave Gorman - is that allowed here?

Yeah, some of his adventures were clearly contrived - but I doubt anyone would publish books about my wacky adventures.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Haven't read any of his books or seen him live but his TV shows are pretty amusing. I think his first project being Are You Dave Gorman? rubbed some people up the wrong way, thinking he was just an upstart egotist.

I still remember an eye-opening post he made on NOTBBC about a Bernard Manning gig he went to. He's setting some very good cryptic crosswords now for the Independent and the Telegraph - I think that's been mentioned here before.

I am not Dave Gorman.

Noticed that James Veitch creep who ripped Dave Gorman off completely for that viral TED Talk is back on social media after being cancelled...

Hand Solo

Quote from: thelittlemango on February 13, 2021, 02:04:45 PM
Noticed that James Veitch creep who ripped Dave Gorman off completely for that viral TED Talk is back on social media after being cancelled...

I don't think Dave Gorman invented replying to spam e-mails or doing slideshow presentations with jokes?

Also: Delete This At Your Peril

Quote from: Hand Solo on February 13, 2021, 02:47:51 PM
I don't think Dave Gorman invented replying to spam e-mails or doing slideshow presentations with jokes?

Also: Delete This At Your Peril

He didn't, but Veitch ripped off his style very closely even down to the same comedic beats on the reveals and the same general approach which is not just something Gorman has done but is the thing that famously defines his TV work.

olliebean

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 13, 2021, 12:37:25 PM
After Goodish he had another show on Dave, different format and it was so forgettable I can't remember how it went, he should have stuck to what he's good at and made some more Goodish because I liked that.

Terms and Conditions Apply (I had to look it up). It came across to me a bit like he'd not had time to come up with enough ideas for another full series of Goodish so had had to come up with a new format to pad out a couple of episodes' worth of ideas into a full series of 8.

H-O-W-L

I read somewhere that Goodish was "stopped" because it was incredibly work-intensive.

jaydee81

Quote from: Hand Solo on February 12, 2021, 07:03:17 PM
Nor is shacking up with Danny Wallace the comedy reviewer as your flatmate then getting him to conveniently plug all your stuff, before both forging trailblazing careers based on fake wacky drunken comedy journey bets you spin-off into publishing deals.

I'm oddly intrigued by this post. Wasn't Danny Wallace a radio producer? Didn't he produce Radio 4 fare like The Boosh and Ross Noble Goes Global?
As far as I'm aware, a comedy reviewer doesn't have the ability to catapult themselves and their friends into worldwide fame. OK, maybe not worldwide fame, but remember when Dave Gorman was on The Daily Show, shortly before John Oliver?

g0m

Quote from: H-O-W-L on February 13, 2021, 03:49:11 PM
I read somewhere that Goodish was "stopped" because it was incredibly work-intensive.

Yeah, I also remember reading this. For my part I liked Goodish too, I ran through it all in a few days and I'd happily watch another series.

Retinend

I just knew, while I was enjoying these last year, that it was the kind of thing CaB would deem Shit for Cunts... I was wrong, but all the compliments here seem somewhat "neggy". "yeah not bad, good try good shot, Davey, could've been worse"

Alberon

I did enjoy the show. Goodish was at least different compared to all the identikit panel shows Dave mostly produces, though I think it was pretty mined out by the end.

Hand Solo

Quote from: jaydee81 on February 13, 2021, 04:16:59 PM
I'm oddly intrigued by this post. Wasn't Danny Wallace a radio producer? Didn't he produce Radio 4 fare like The Boosh and Ross Noble Goes Global?
As far as I'm aware, a comedy reviewer doesn't have the ability to catapult themselves and their friends into worldwide fame. OK, maybe not worldwide fame, but remember when Dave Gorman was on The Daily Show, shortly before John Oliver?

But surely it is a bit incestuous to have a mate who writes columns and has a website critiquing comedy plug your shows and give you nepotistic reviews? I can't remember the details but it was a subject that was repeatedly referenced on the old SOTCAA website.

The topic has also come up on here in the distant paaaaaast..

petril

it's decent, but like a lot of Dave's home-grown stuff, it sits in my mind in a hotel room on a weekend night, playing in the background to sorting something or other out

Icehaven

Probably unfairly reductive but this always summed up Gorman and Wallace's shtick to me.
https://youtu.be/EC0TDci9hqg

The Lurker

Quote from: JamesTC on February 13, 2021, 01:09:13 PM
The episodes on Neil Sean's Doctor Who DVD and those shitty animated films were wonderful.

Oh yeah, that one was good too - forgot that one. I must've seen most (if not all) episodes but, as previously mentioned, it is a forgettable show so I'll probably check some out when I have spare time which I usually do nowadays...

Gregory Torso

I think some of the content here is pretty good but not a fan of his squeaky, slightly nervous first year lecturer showing his class a cool powerpoint he's been up all night making style of presenting.

olliebean

I think the thing that niggles me most about it is the way he introduces "what I like to call a found poem." Because that's the generally accepted term for a poem constructed from bits of text that you've found. It's that "I like to call," as if he's invented the term, that gets my goat.

Hand Solo

Quote from: olliebean on February 14, 2021, 10:11:57 PM
I think the thing that niggles me most about it is the way he introduces "what I like to call a found poem." Because that's the generally accepted term for a poem constructed from bits of text that you've found. It's that "I like to call," as if he's invented the term, that gets my goat.

This is exactly what is so fucking annoying about him. He researches a subject, for example like I described about there being a very similar presentation by a bloke who revised the calendar to be more logical, and then just cribs it all and delivers it to a naive audience acting as if he came up with it all himself. I wish I could find the presentation of the calendar reformation I originally saw for comparison but can't, but looking it up the idea of standardising the calendar has been done by many people for well over a century but Gorman won't mention any of this and act like the idea and format is something he came up with all by himself off the bat and call it the Gorman calendar because he likes his name slapped all over everything.

Andy147

FWIW Dave Gorman wrote in his blog the same idea about calendar reform years before talking about it on Modern Life is Goodish.

When someone commented that this is basically the International Fixed Calendar, his reply was "I honestly didn't know that something so similar had been proposed before - although it is so glaringly obvious I suppose it would have been odd if it hadn't."