Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Gorman's Wacky Youtube Life-Is-Goodish Upload Adventure (FOR CUNTS!)

Started by H-O-W-L, February 12, 2021, 04:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Quote from: Andy147 on February 15, 2021, 12:01:48 AM
FWIW Dave Gorman wrote in his blog the same idea about calendar reform years before talking about it on Modern Life is Goodish.

When someone commented that this is basically the International Fixed Calendar, his reply was "I honestly didn't know that something so similar had been proposed before - although it is so glaringly obvious I suppose it would have been odd if it hadn't."

Yes, I'm sure in all the preparation for his show about it, nobody googled about calendars at all and saw all the vast information about the same subject and exactly the same format Dave Gorman decided to use.

The other obvious thing about this format of cunt material, is they use a load of anonymous data as their jokes.. like spam emails or internet replies, it's almost as if they can write the hilarious reply themselves because it's allegedly from a Nigerian scammer or Quora reply merchant and fits the humour and format of their shit Power Point presentation.

Timothy

Modern Life is Goodish was a fun show and I enjoyed Dave's books and stand up shows.

If I remember correctly in the first book they (Gorman and Wallace) mention that they met at the Fringe when Wallace was still a reviewer but they didnt really talk back then. Wallace said it would be odd if a reviewer and comic became friends. They became friends a few years later. Not sure if Wallace was still a reviewer then.

Havent seen the new tv show but doesnt sound great.

gilbertharding

Quote from: olliebean on February 14, 2021, 10:11:57 PM
I think the thing that niggles me most about it is the way he introduces "what I like to call a found poem." Because that's the generally accepted term for a poem constructed from bits of text that you've found. It's that "I like to call," as if he's invented the term, that gets my goat.

Ironically (?) I think he does a bit about 'what *I* like to call'.

beanheadmcginty

I think the thing that niggles me most about it is the way he introduces "what I like to call a found poem." Because that's the generally accepted term for a poem constructed from bits of text that you've found. It's that "I like to call," as if he's invented the term, that gets my goat.

I bet you must be furious every time they bring out a new CD of Now That's What I Call Music.

olliebean

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 15, 2021, 05:02:50 PM
I bet you must be furious every time they bring out a new CD of Now That's What I Call Music.

No, and it wouldn't bother me if Gorman said "Now that's what I call a found poem," because that's an accepted idiom. I reckon it'd niggle me if he brought out a CD called "Now That's What I Like To Call Music," though.

St_Eddie

Utter Shit

Quote from: Hand Solo on February 15, 2021, 12:27:06 AM
Yes, I'm sure in all the preparation for his show about it, nobody googled about calendars at all and saw all the vast information about the same subject and exactly the same format Dave Gorman decided to use.

The other obvious thing about this format of cunt material, is they use a load of anonymous data as their jokes.. like spam emails or internet replies, it's almost as if they can write the hilarious reply themselves because it's allegedly from a Nigerian scammer or Quora reply merchant and fits the humour and format of their shit Power Point presentation.

This is the second time in this thread that you've presented an idea that only exists as a fact in your head, then got angry about it. Comes across, to me at least, like you've decided you hate him for whatever reason and are scrambling a bit to fill in the justification blanks.

Retinend

For balance, my impression of Dave Gorman is that he is someone, like Limmy, who notices the little things that escape most people's notice, but which are funny and relatable once presented in his amusing home-made style. I relate to someone like Gorman; to someone getting frustrated with a bad piece of journalism or comments section comment and going off down a little internet rabbit hole in order to prove a point of some sort to himself. He's not pretending to be cool, but I like how he takes apart stuff that is supposed to be cool, e.g. how silly "Top Tips" of the kind that were made fun of in Viz magazine are being jazzed up with disembodied hands and plinky plonky music as "Life Hacks".

Retinend

I think he's merely being modest - he's clarifying that he's not actually claiming it's a "poem" by anyone else's standards.

Rather than saying "I invented the whole idea and have christened it thus: "found poem"".

Endicott

I'm not a massive fan of these shows, they are just 'alright', but the 'I like to call' thing is definitely a joke. Perhaps not a very good one, but it's not some unselfaware attempt to appropriate something as described up thread.

Mr Trumpet

I like Dave Gorman. He's a standup I can take my mum to see and we both have a good time - that's not necessarily the easiest thing in the world.

DrGreggles

Gormo's fine by me.
He used to do some MLIG try-outs/run-throughs at Cambridge Junction a week or so before recording.
Very pleasant evenings/chap.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Hand Solo on February 12, 2021, 07:03:17 PM
Nor is shacking up with Danny Wallace the comedy reviewer as your flatmate then getting him to conveniently plug all your stuff, before both forging trailblazing careers based on fake wacky drunken comedy journey bets you spin-off into publishing deals.
Didn't Tony Hawks (not the skateboarder) invent the thing of doing stupid bets and turning them into books, films, etc. Or did someone else do it first?

olliebean

I do enjoy most of Dave Gorman's stuff, but he has turned padding into a bit of an artform. Terms and Conditions Apply was so heavily padded that it really strained my patience with him.

crankshaft

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 16, 2021, 04:48:42 PM
Didn't Tony Hawks (not the skateboarder) invent the thing of doing stupid bets and turning them into books, films, etc. Or did someone else do it first?

I think McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy was the one that opened the door to the Tony Hawks-type wacky shenanigans in book form.

petril

I liked the first series and book a lot. felt like a special secret club getting to see this weird kinda comedy on a Sunday night - a Sunday! and it's not even and ITV sort of thing! kinda reminded me of a teenage dream of what adult life should be, just pissing about on inane little thing adventures that become personal, and you get back home feeling things have changed. but they don't and somehow it funds itself.

Rolf Lundgren

I've never got the criticism of Tony Hawks and Dave Gorman's doing mad things for a bet. The Mitchell and Webb sketch is a fair satire of them and I can see that it's contrived but if the end result is a really good live show and book then good for them. Plus they were successful so I can't blame them for finding a niche that worked and ploughing it. I'm not sure what the alternative was supposed to be, go and write proper stand-up?

DrGreggles

Gorman did 2 stunt books - the 2nd of which was about him not wanting to do another stunt book (but then doing one anyway to cover the advance of the novel he hadn't written). That Googlewhack book is actually pretty good and is mostly about him wanting to be taken seriously and not being known as 'that stunt guy'.

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 16, 2021, 10:47:38 AM
This is the second time in this thread that you've presented an idea that only exists as a fact in your head, then got angry about it. Comes across, to me at least, like you've decided you hate him for whatever reason and are scrambling a bit to fill in the justification blanks.

I'm choosing Sue Pollard with "justification eggs", Les

Retinend

Did anyone else cry laughing at his review of the movie "Joy" starring Jennifer Lawrence? He makes a very convincing argument that the marketing for the film was done in order to disguise the nature of the plot: the inspiring story of a go-getting mop-inventor.

g0m

Quote from: Retinend on February 20, 2021, 07:11:43 PM
Did anyone else cry laughing at his review of the movie "Joy" starring Jennifer Lawrence? He makes a very convincing argument that the marketing for the film was done in order to disguise the nature of the plot: the inspiring story of a go-getting mop-inventor.

That one was a really good ep

Natnar

There's a vid of Gorman's appearance on Packet Of Three from 1991 on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIOAhRFSPc I hadn't realised he'd been doing stand up for that long.

olliebean

Quote from: Natnar on February 21, 2021, 09:15:43 AM
There's a vid of Gorman's appearance on Packet Of Three from 1991 on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIOAhRFSPc I hadn't realised he'd been doing stand up for that long.

Wow, hard to believe Michael Legge was ever that young.

Autopsy Turvey

He is good but there are odd gaps in the research, like when he was all "is it just me or is it disappointing that all Edward Lear's limericks just repeat the first line on the last line?" A cursory moment on his beloved google would reveal that Ronnie Barker not only agreed, he personally changed the last line of all Lear's limericks, in his own personal copy of an original collection, which sold at auction for way less than it deserved.

billyandthecloneasaurus

I know the wacky contrived adventure stuff is super hacky but i can't help but fucking love it.  It's exactly the kind of lolrandom shit i really enjoy. 

amateur

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 17, 2021, 12:05:41 AM
Gorman did 2 stunt books - the 2nd of which was about him not wanting to do another stunt book (but then doing one anyway to cover the advance of the novel he hadn't written). That Googlewhack book is actually pretty good and is mostly about him wanting to be taken seriously and not being known as 'that stunt guy'.

I loved the Googlewhack book so much I did a university presentation on it, which went down like a lead balloon, and my opinion of him has soured somewhat since then.

olliebean

The live version of Googlewhack, available on DVD for a few quid, is brilliant. Probably my favourite thing of his.

Retinend

Quote from: Retinend on February 20, 2021, 07:11:43 PM

watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhr-CSq1sx8&; (go to around 20 mins)