Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:04:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

POLICE SQUAD (IN COLOR), THE NAKED GUN and other Zucker / Neilsen joy

Started by dr_christian_troy, February 12, 2021, 07:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

"I haven't laughed since my wife died"
"Why did you laugh when your wife died?"

That's a good one.

neveragain

It's an odd tonal mix between whimsical ZAZ gags and Brooker crudity/nastiness.

mobias

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 20, 2021, 03:30:24 PM
Indeed. If they'd just done one feature-length episode, or did it as a film, it would have been a lot tighter and better. Writing a trilogy of films as your first go at this kind of comedy was a bit too much.

I guess the British crime dramas the show was satirising are an hour long so that was the template. Police Squad was half an hour long though and was far tighter.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: mobias on February 21, 2021, 09:04:24 AM
I guess the British crime dramas the show was satirising are an hour long so that was the template. Police Squad was half an hour long though and was far tighter.

Yeah but I meant that if you took the content from the 3 episodes and condensed those scripts down to one feature length episode it would have been a lot better and tighter, higher gag rate and less filler bits. Even as a massive fan of this genre, which Brooker & co. obviously are, it must be a bit of a shock when you actually sit down to write and discover just how many gags you're going to need. Those films are so dense (well, the good ones are), so much going on, spoken gags, sight gags, foreground gag, background gags, prop gags, they're fucking everywhere. I think they even wrote all 3 scripts at time same time, they were certainly filmed long before they aired, they just spread themselves a tad too thin.

studpuppet

AToC is definitely an homage to ZAZ, but it has got this Jeremy Vine lookalike stealing everything with his small glance down as he delivers the "I mopped myself down" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4RKGels8Wo

Edit - not to mention the two background guys: the standby with the police line tape over his mouth and the forensic guy who looks like he's taking a slash behind Jeremy's head at the end.

Thursday

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 21, 2021, 09:53:47 AM
Yeah but I meant that if you took the content from the 3 episodes and condensed those scripts down to one feature length episode it would have been a lot better and tighter, higher gag rate and less filler bits. Even as a massive fan of this genre, which Brooker & co. obviously are, it must be a bit of a shock when you actually sit down to write and discover just how many gags you're going to need. Those films are so dense (well, the good ones are), so much going on, spoken gags, sight gags, foreground gag, background gags, prop gags, they're fucking everywhere. I think they even wrote all 3 scripts at time same time, they were certainly filmed long before they aired, they just spread themselves a tad too thin.

Yeah, wasn't there some odd structure, because it seems it was 3 series of 2, but they were all split up even though they'd already been made? And they had the thing of showing them on subsequent days. Just a bit odd. Can't remember exactly what was going on, but yeah the format added to it's problems.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Thursday on February 21, 2021, 05:53:08 PM
Yeah, wasn't there some odd structure, because it seems it was 3 series of 2, but they were all split up even though they'd already been made? And they had the thing of showing them on subsequent days. Just a bit odd. Can't remember exactly what was going on, but yeah the format added to it's problems.

That might be right, I seem to remember that series 3 was ready to be shown right after series 2 but it was held back for a year, so they may well have been filmed at the same time.

Edit - apparently all 3 series were ready to go at once but for some reason Sky decided to show them 1 series per year.

Thursday

I suppose the logic was you get more a "promotion cycle" if you stretch it out to 3 years, as opposed to putting out all 6 and being done, but it wasn't to be that format, and having only 2 episodes means it builds up absolutely no momentum.

famethrowa

It's occurred to me that the only "funny" person in all these movies is Johnny from Airplane. Am I correct? Everyone else is deadly serious, surely

Egyptian Feast

DrGreggles

Quote from: famethrowa on February 21, 2021, 10:07:14 PM
It's occurred to me that the only "funny" person in all these movies is Johnny from Airplane. Am I correct? Everyone else is deadly serious, surely

"And Leon's getting laaarger!"