Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:52:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Portal/2 appreciation thread

Started by Blue Jam, February 12, 2021, 08:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Fuuuuuck I love Portal/2. Who's with me?

bgmnts

Yeah can't argue with Portal. All female cast as well can you believe that? I know there's like the weird Rat man but its just just Chell and Glados really. That's genuinely rare.

Blue Jam

I should have stressed that I'm including Portal 2 in this. Gotta love Cave Johnson. Hell, I even enjoy Wheatley.

Blue Jam

Just edited the OP.

Also just finished another playthrough of Portal and started a new playthrough of Portal 2. Love this witty nerdtastic game.

purlieu

I feel like the second game is maybe a touch too long, and in the same way, the first a touch too short.
They're both really bloody good, though and exceptionally difficult to stop playing once you've started. "Ohhh, just another room..."

St_Eddie

Yeah, man!  I too love Postal 2.  I liked the bit where you pissed in Gary Coleman's face!

...oh, Portal 2?  Yeah, I like that too.  Could have used more Gary Coleman and a piss mechanic though.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Let's all piss in Gary Oldman's face.

Moribunderast

I'm not the type to re-play a game once I've "beaten" it once but I tend to go back to the Portal games every 2-3 years and play through them again. It's such a simple idea, executed brilliantly and it's very compelling once you get into it.

madhair60

I think the end of Portal 2 (everything from The Part Where He Kills You to the credits) is up there with the best things ever in any medium.

I will never forget how I felt when the roof collapsed and revealed the moon. That feeling of "no. Surely not. Surely no-"

Garam

Played Portal 2 co-op for the first time lately with a friend and it was one of the best multiplayer experiences i've ever had, maybe better than the single player campaign. Highly recommended.

I really want Valve to make a Portal 3 in VR but maybe it would make you sick. Regardless i really want it.

St_Eddie

If I took a moment to be serious for a change, I would say that Portal 2 is one of the best games ever made and that it represents the pinnacle of gaming as an art form, but that's not happening any time soon so instead I shall merely say sploog and call it a day.

Sploog.

popcorn

Quote from: Garam on February 13, 2021, 11:10:22 AM
I really want Valve to make a Portal 3 in VR but maybe it would make you sick. Regardless i really want it.

Yeah apparently it was one of the first things they tried doing in VR but found it was just too disorienting and orrible and Half-Life was a better fit.

purlieu

Christ, I would not want to do Portal in VR. Not until they've perfected some kind of total immersion version in 50 years.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I haven't played Portal 2 since it came out. That was *checks* 10 years ago. Oh lordy. Time for a replay at some point soon methinks. Still got the 360 hooked up and the game on disc.
Don't even remember anything about it. Wasn't there different coloured slime or paint that had unique properties? Shillinger from Oz was in it too.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 16, 2021, 07:14:21 AM
Shillinger from Oz was in it too.

Love Cave Johnson. I've seen it pointed out many times that it's a role that Bob Odenkirk would also be good in that role if a Portal film was ever made, which of course should never happen because that would just be daft, but just imagine what The Lemons Speech would be like.

I think GLaDOS may be my favourite video game character full stop, never mind just my favourite villain. I could listen to GLaDOS being coldly snide all day and Still Alive is a Belle and Sebastian-esque passive aggressive delight. It was a bit of a thrill hearing Ellen McLain voicing a couple of the AI constructs in the Pacific Rim films too.

Loads and loads of unused GLaDOS lines- knock yourself out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3HeXxMGJvM

I even like Stephen Merchant as Wheatley, though I'm guessing that may be against the CaB concensus. Today I learned that he got the part because some of Valve's developers liked him in Extras- good thing it wasn't Gervais eh? Although their second choice was apparently Richard Ayoade, who I think would have been better.

As I've mentioned before, Mike Patton's cameo as The Anger Core, just growling angrily, is also pretty funny.

Blue Jam

Quote from: purlieu on February 13, 2021, 06:07:17 PM
Christ, I would not want to do Portal in VR. Not until they've perfected some kind of total immersion version in 50 years.

I would pay good money for the VR experience of being verbally abused by GLaDOS for a few hours. Not sure falling from a great height and landing on my heel springs would be pleasant though. Nor standing in a torrent of repulsion gel. Not sure how the effect of going through a portal could be replicated either, could be jarring in a good or bad way.

One (extremely minor, nitpicky) thing that bothered me about Portal 2 was the portals themselves. They looked worse than in the original, with fewer particle effects and such, which was bizarre given the overall graphical improvement. Did anyone else notice that, or did I just need to change some setting?
That aside, it was probably as good a sequel as could be expected. It was unfortunate timing that it was released after Fallout 3 and Bioshock though, as the section in the retro test chambers felt a bit derivative.

popcorn

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 17, 2021, 03:04:35 PM
One (extremely minor, nitpicky) thing that bothered me about Portal 2 was the portals themselves. They looked worse than in the original, with fewer particle effects and such, which was bizarre given the overall graphical improvement. Did anyone else notice that, or did I just need to change some setting?

Didn't notice that myself but wouldn't be surprised - just speculation but it might have been to reduce visual noise, perhaps portals needed to be more visible across the denser environments or something.

Ferris

Must play these games again. They're dead good.

Non Stop Dancer

That bit in the first Portal when you realise you're not actually at the end. So fucking good.

There's a VR game called Esper 2, featuring a character voiced by Nick Frost, which feels very influenced by Portal 2 in particular, which I enjoyed quite a bit and would recommend checking out.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 17, 2021, 03:10:22 PM
Never played it, never gonna

More quality, contributive and insightful posts like this one please, folks.  Ta.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 17, 2021, 03:10:22 PM
Never played it, never gonna

Good to see we still have opposite tastes in games, that's surprisingly handy.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 17, 2021, 11:08:28 PM
More quality, contributive and insightful posts like this one please, folks.  Ta.

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 13, 2021, 01:16:26 AM
Yeah, man!  I too love Postal 2.  I liked the bit where you pissed in Gary Coleman's face!

...oh, Portal 2?  Yeah, I like that too.  Could have used more Gary Coleman and a piss mechanic though.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 17, 2021, 11:10:45 PM
Good to see we still have opposite tastes in games, that's surprisingly handy.

I have played it, I'm just being daft, very good game, but I prefer the 'purity' of the original. I didn't really like Steve Merchant at the time so that made it a bit less appealing, as well.

It's rather good how the sequel adds more stuff, without changing the core mechanic from the first. Compare it to Doom Eternal, which takes the streamlined controls from the previous one and piles a bunch of new buttons on top, to annoying effect.