Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:10:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Singing Mogwai!?

Started by lazyhour, February 13, 2021, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Excellent post, seven daughters.

I'm instantly thrown back to the me of twenty years ago who was annoyed at the creeping change in the meaning of the genre.

I liked weird Chicago indie musicians joining up with jazzers and making strange adventurous music that goes beyond 'rock' trappings. Then it all went epic. :-(

jobotic

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 25, 2021, 02:29:23 PM
think there's 4! I've got Day and Night which is their best imo. Some of that Bristol/SW stuff is very satisfying late night music.

That's the one!. Also got three singles - all songs from Day and Night!

Glyn

Would Public Service Broadcasting count for this ? I think Every Valley was the first album to use lead vocalists and have some songs with lyrics instead of samples ?

lazyhour

No, they fall under the umbrella of "6music shite".

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: imitationleather on February 13, 2021, 01:55:23 PM
I can think of a few featuring vocoder vocals, but none that have full-on crooning.

Squarepusher did do a cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart with regular, non-vocoded vocals on the Do You Know Squarepusher EP, but he sang it all quiet and breathy and the whole thing was pretty dull. I think I read it was something he was talked into doing by someone else which would explain its mediocrity on a release that otherwise has some amazing tracks.

PaulTMA

Mogwai just tweeted Ricky Gervais asking to plug their album then deleted it

Glyn

Quote from: lazyhour on February 25, 2021, 04:59:48 PM
No, they fall under the umbrella of "6music shite".

Mogwai consider t-shirt rewrite

sevendaughters

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on February 25, 2021, 02:21:42 PM
I'm getting 'Kranky Records catalogue inserts for goalposts' levels of nostalgia after that last post.

That's a good thing.

absolutely dying for them to get on and reissue more Labradford.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: PaulTMA on February 25, 2021, 06:00:05 PM
Mogwai just tweeted Ricky Gervais asking to plug their album then deleted it

There's something really depressing about this. I know that their ambition was one of their reasons they were still going, but this is just, undignified.

Jockice

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on February 26, 2021, 10:29:56 AM

There's something really depressing about this. I know that their ambition was one of their reasons they were still going, but this is just, undignified.

As far as I'm concerned they've been a mainstream rock act for at least a decade. I mean they're quite good and all that, but...

Pauline Walnuts

Well, yeah, but they're now a desperate mainstream rock act.

JaDanketies

They should've asked Corbs to like and retweet instead.

Goldentony

QuoteAre they no longer the cool outsiders

this hasn't been the case since about 1999

lipsink

Aw, give them a break would ya?

Goldentony

Quote from: lipsink on February 26, 2021, 05:15:39 PM
Aw, give them a break would ya?

sorry but they've talked shit too much through the years to not deserve this, this is our moment

imitationleather

Blur just released a "Mogwai: Are Shite" t-shirt.

Joy Nktonga

Very interesting post from sevendaughers, and I just learned more from that than I have in the 20 years I've been aware of post-rock. Could anyone expand a bit on/recommend examples of the bands/albums "in tune with dub" please?

lankyguy95

Quote from: druss on February 26, 2021, 05:31:13 PM
Poor man's Mono.
I barely listen to Mono on record anymore but I've seen them live twice and they were majestic.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on February 26, 2021, 08:16:56 PM
Very interesting post from sevendaughers, and I just learned more from that than I have in the 20 years I've been aware of post-rock. Could anyone expand a bit on/recommend examples of the bands/albums "in tune with dub" please?

Bark Psychosis not a bad place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtFgAisNn1A
and definitely in Crescent / Third Eye Foundation stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTAvABy5pjk

Quote from: druss on February 26, 2021, 05:31:13 PM
Poor man's Mono.

I love both bands but this is a really shit opinion you have. Sorry to have to break this to you.

MrMrs

aye not even the same ballpark

PaulTMA

Christ it's like 1966 for Mogwai at the moment, well done to them for getting the number 1 they begged for but will we ever hear the end of it

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on February 13, 2021, 11:04:17 AM
Venetian Snares did an album he sings on but it was long after I'd stopped having an interest in listening to his new releases so I've got no idea if it's shit or not.

Similarly, Dykehouse with Midrange.

JaDanketies

Mono are stunning and crushing live and I recommend everyone goes to see them and eats some acid beforehand

The Mollusk

We get it, you like taking drugs

druss

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on February 26, 2021, 11:07:41 PM
I love both bands but this is a really shit opinion you have. Sorry to have to break this to you.
So do I, I was being mischievous.

I do prefer Mono though.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 25, 2021, 01:46:59 PMiii. crescendocore. some of the bands from ii. like Mogwai and GYBE lean into their maximalist secular hallelujah and the only think left for bands to do is either be prettier (Explosions), louder (Jesu, Red Sparowes), return the dynamics to songs (Hope of the States) or attempt to be more intelligent (65DOS) by grafting IDM and math-rock time signatures onto otherwise twinkling guitars. You also see emo gain a lot from post-rock - The Appleseed Cast and This Town Needs Guns pretty much could only exist after post-rock.

I know they get very short shrift on here but Red Sparowes were always my favourite.  Live they just nailed it so perfectly with having that rock-solid basis but then the sense to stretch and play with the songs on top.  Plus those amazing visuals, it all fitted together so well.  That Scala show was probably in my top ten gigs of all time, just amazing. 

JaDanketies

Nordic Giants are a relatively new post-rock band (formed in 2010) who are innovative. Lots of focus on visual elements. Definitely a band to see live.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 28, 2021, 12:18:59 PM
I know they get very short shrift on here but Red Sparowes were always my favourite.  Live they just nailed it so perfectly with having that rock-solid basis but then the sense to stretch and play with the songs on top.  Plus those amazing visuals, it all fitted together so well.  That Scala show was probably in my top ten gigs of all time, just amazing.

yeah I kept my description mostly to bands I like, I liked some crescendocore, and RS verged more toward the "cinematic" in my mind.