Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:32:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Stand (miniseries 2020)

Started by surreal, February 14, 2021, 12:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Just finished watching this yesterday.  I know it's had quite a few poor reviews but I actually quite enjoyed it, thought it had a nice creepy atmosphere and the Captain Trips effects were nicely gooey.  They have updated the setting and shoe-horned a bit of more modern social commentary in there, changed a couple of the characters around a bit, but really I can't remember enough of the book to get annoyed about any of it. 

There's a decent cast - Whoopi Goldberg is spot on for Mother Abigail, Alexander Skarsgård is pretty decent as Flagg, and the rest are people I half-recognise from other things (apart from James Marsden who is in everything).  The 9 episodes (well, 8 and a new Coda written specifically for this by Stephen King) allow the story to breathe but it does feel a bit stretched at times and considering all the time they had there seems to be an over-reliance on flashbacks

7.5/10 - would catch super-flu again

Anyone else caught up with this?

EDIT - arse, just spotted the original thread here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,80371.0.html

mjwilson

I disagreed with you over on the other thread.