Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brett Anderson - Coal Black Mornings

Started by Seedsy, February 14, 2021, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seedsy

I was almost disappointed when brett said this isn't a autobiography of gold discs and cocaine.
But fuck a duck, I think this is the best memoir from a rock star ever. Its beautiful.

Watched the "insatiable ones" documentary as well.
Because of my age my favourite album is coming up. I was born in 1981, trash hooked me at the right time.

sweeper

It's outstanding.

Slightly more drugs and rock n roll in volume 2.

Chicory

It's a joy. 'Afternoons With The Blinds Drawn' is also highly recommended.

He really should've titled it 'Effete Southern Wankers' though.

Johnboy

One of the best accounts of childhood and adolescence i've read.

badaids

Coal Black Mornings is very good.  If I recall, it's a document for his children, more than anything else.

The next one, Afternoons With the Blinds Drawn is terrible.  He doesn't go very far into any of the part of his life that would have been most interesting, only alludes to the drugs and, I think, massively overinflates his own importance.  I was staggered by his assessment of the Suede back catalogue.

sweeper

I like how critical he is of his work. I don't entirely agree with him, Stay Together remains a firm favourite, but he seems to really enjoy tearing it down.

I though his aim was to slightly avoid the obvious route and try and provide a portrait of his day to day life at the time.

If nothing else, it's a very Suede thing to do. I love his evocation of the London now lost to estate agents.