Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Festival of Funny

Started by bomb_dog, February 15, 2021, 12:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bomb_dog

Grauniad timed press release / article

A few standup shows that may be worth a watch, and some pilots on Radio 4. Not watched a Bill Bailey standup since Tinselworm left me disappointed so may give Limboland a go, and Merchant's 'Hello Ladies' I think was well received around these parts.

Full lineup to come obvs.

sheddyian

I'm enthusiastic about a comedy cross promotion : Radio 2 has dwindled it's comedy output down over many decades, which is a shame. Do they think spoken word comedy is above them?

"Crews are being tested and film in bubbles, copying techniques used in the Christmas specials of BBC shows such as Not Going Out and Upstart Crow. The shows are performed to the crew to give the performers reactions, then laughter mixed in from previous episodes. The process will be explained in the programme's credits."

Uneasy about the "canned" laughter idea being suggested here.

Curious to know others thoughts as to comedy audience during pestilence :

No audience : Ala Unbelievable truth : kinda sucks the life out of it

cyber : Ala Im Sorry I Haven't A Clue : Small audience on Zoom forcing laughs at every line delivered

and now artificially created laughs based on how funny the crew found it?

There are legit things going on right now that create such measures,  but which or what audience option is best/least worse?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bomb_dog on February 15, 2021, 12:47:49 AM
Grauniad timed press release / article

A few standup shows that may be worth a watch, and some pilots on Radio 4. Not watched a Bill Bailey standup since Tinselworm left me disappointed so may give Limboland a go, and Merchant's 'Hello Ladies' I think was well received around these parts.

Full lineup to come obvs.

See, I really enjoyed Tinselworm; it was his next show that disappointed me (Dandelion Mind), because it just sort of felt like a series of disconnected 'ooh look at this funny instrument'.  Which to be fair is something he made work in his Guide to the Orchestra show.

I think I saw a heavily edited version of Qualmpeddler on TV and enjoyed it but dear god it was heavily (and badly) edited for some reason.

amateur

Quote from: sheddyian on February 15, 2021, 01:46:13 AM
I'm enthusiastic about a comedy cross promotion : Radio 2 has dwindled it's comedy output down over many decades, which is a shame. Do they think spoken word comedy is above them?

It's pricier than playing records, and budgets have been significantly cut since the days of The Mighty Boosh etc.

Consignia

Quote from: sheddyian on February 15, 2021, 01:46:13 AM

No audience : Ala Unbelievable truth : kinda sucks the life out of it

cyber : Ala Im Sorry I Haven't A Clue : Small audience on Zoom forcing laughs at every line delivered

Definitely prefer cyber to no audience for panel shows. The Unbelievable Truth feels like a shell of it's former self without an audience to play to. I was hoping that the most recent series would have followed suit with it's stable mates, but it's as lifeless as ever.