Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,405
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Paranoia Agent (Satoshi Kon)

Started by Chedney Honks, February 15, 2021, 03:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I've never seen this but it's coming to Blu-ray in April and there's a 40% discount on pre-orders (works out at £29.99):

https://www.anime-on-line.com/Paranoia-Agent/31079-paranoia-agent-collection-collector-s-edition-18-blu-ray.html

I love everything else I've seen from Satoshi Kon and meant to get round to this for ages.

Consignia

It's a great series, as one would expect from Kon. However, that's the UK release, which was and I believe still will be cut by the BBFC. I've never seen that version, but it's something to bear in mind especially as it's quite integral to the themes of the episode it's cut from.

I won't spoil it, and even with the cut I believe the context is clear.

chveik

never watched it but Hirasawa's soundtrack is magnificent

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Consignia on February 15, 2021, 03:43:47 PM
It's a great series, as one would expect from Kon. However, that's the UK release, which was and I believe still will be cut by the BBFC. I've never seen that version, but it's something to bear in mind especially as it's quite integral to the themes of the episode it's cut from.

I won't spoil it, and even with the cut I believe the context is clear.

Thanks for the info. I read that there's not been confirmation yet on the BBFC cuts (I've no idea what it may be for, and I appreciate the light touch with your comments, cheers). Hopefully it's still worth picking up because I've already pre-ordered!

Consignia

I mean the series is great, even with the cut. As a whole it's absolutely brilliant satire that anime rarely touches upon.

I can totally understand the reasoning behind the cut, it's not just arbitrary "this is too violent" or "this is too sexy" thing. However, it does absolutely make sense it context and I think whilst you can live without it, it does rob some of the power of the episode in question.

Sorry for skirting round the actual cut; the series takes so many twists and turns I really don't want to spoil any of it for anyone.

rue the polywhirl

petercussing

Oooh, i've got this dl'd to watch, too. Am looking fwd to it but have delayed it for no real reason for about 3 or 4 weeks. I kept called it Paranoid Agent when looking for it and was annoyed about not being able to find it like some sort of fabulous idiot.

Consignia

Interesting news today; I've heard it on the grape vine today that it's been re-submitted for certificate: https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/1361286639180541955  It maybe possibly uncut and I've wasted everyone's time 😅.

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on February 15, 2021, 05:19:39 PM
But that's what spoilers are for!

Yeah, but I was trying to dance round for the sake of explaining the situation to some one who hasn't seen it yet but might be interested in there's a cut. The content is kinda of irrelevant, but it's difficult to completely avoid the content.

Midas

Yesss, I love this series - hope the new release is nice. Still listen to Paranoia Agent's lush soundtrack now and again and if you like that I'd reccomend checking out Hirasawa's unused outtakes from the series if you haven't already. Has some nice lil' tunes.

Mister Six

Paranoia Agent is incredible. Everything Satoshi Kon made is incredible. What a fucking loss he was to cinema. Honestly, if I could magically give one artist a stay of death, it would be him. What wonders might he have already concocted by now?

Anyway, enjoy it - cuts or no. Be a shame if they did cut it though.

petercussing

I've now watched up to ep 7 and this rates as 100% Jammin'!!!!! Kinda Lynchy (in a filmic rather than in gallowsy sense). I'd seen Perfect Blue but nothing else by dude kon.

The animation is insanely good.

Shall watch the rest today.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Mister Six on February 16, 2021, 12:17:02 AM
Paranoia Agent is incredible. Everything Satoshi Kon made is incredible. What a fucking loss he was to cinema. Honestly, if I could magically give one artist a stay of death, it would be him. What wonders might he have already concocted by now?

You're not wrong. I think of Kon relatively often as an incredible talent that passed way too soon. Loved all of his films and Paranoia Agent and there was no sign his work was looking to decline in any way.

petercussing

Holy shit, this was unbelievably fantastic. It was beautiful, hopeful and miserable all at once, like being a human, i'm kinda lot for words.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Crikey, this takes me back. I watched it ages ago, in 2005, or thereabouts. I ought to give it another viewing, but my hazy memory has it seeming very relevant to now,
Spoiler alert
with misinformation leading to rising hysteria that threatens society
[close]
- although that is a universal theme, I guess.

I also remember it looking really good, with a lot of distinct visual styles for the different protagonists.

petercussing

Yeah, the animation is so good. They way it uses multiple different styles to represent different stuff was amazing.

Oh yeah, Ep 8
Spoiler alert
is crazy, but so good. I like how much they are enjoying the process leading up to and including killing themselves, just really savouring life in a way that they just could if they wanted to, really living in the moment. They create such a sweet family bond that's juxtaposed by their ultimate goal of killing themselves and the two guys not wanting the kid to die. That bit where they are hanging themselves was darklolz.
[close]

Consignia

Quote from: petercussing on February 20, 2021, 04:18:25 PM
Yeah, the animation is so good. They way it uses multiple different styles to represent different stuff was amazing.

Oh yeah, Ep 8
Spoiler alert
is crazy, but so good. I like how much they are enjoying the process leading up to and including killing themselves, just really savouring life in a way that they just could if they wanted to, really living in the moment. They create such a sweet family bond that's juxtaposed by their ultimate goal of killing themselves and the two guys not wanting the kid to die. That bit where they are hanging themselves was darklolz.
[close]

Yup, that's the episode that's cut.
Spoiler alert
When the girl is joyfully playing in the noose, the BBFC didn't want any kid to see that an imitate it. Despite the 18 certificate, they really didn't want any kid who might someone how get access to it as a cartoon. I see their point, but I think any risk would be minimal it being a niche and having a honking great certificate on the front.
[close]

It's been a long time since I've watched the whole thing (I think I watched the first couple of episodes again in the last decade), but even then the "Happy Family Planning" episode was my favourite amongst a great selection. The dark comedy but still colourful vibe was a brilliant contrast to the other episodes.

Consignia

Good news:
Quote from: MVMWe're happy to announce our upcoming Collector's Edition Blu-Ray release of Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent will be fully uncut!

https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/1366679246379302917

Glebe

I only ever saw the first episode I think, came free with some magazine. According to Blu-ray.com, the image had to be upscaled:

QuoteArriving on Blu-ray from Funimation Entertainment, Paranoia Agent is presented in 1080i upscaled high-definition in the original television broadcast aspect ratio of 1.78:1 widescreen. To say that the presentation is lackluster is to put things mildly: the standard-definition source-material (produced during anime's strange transition years between cell-based anime and computer-drawn productions) leaves the art-work in a lower-resolution for the rest of eternity – this masterpiece anime series will never look as good as a naturally filmic production or as sharp as a modern anime finished with our latest technological advances.

As a result, the best that could be done is to upscale the standard-definition source – and give it a bit of a boost in regards to color reproduction and compression. The best thing about the presentation is the evocative colors and the depth exhibited in the vivid reds, blacks, and grays. For those who own the previous DVD editions from Geneon, the uptick in color is likely the most impressive aspect of the entire set. The compression is moderately more impressive as well – although, the fact that the video comes from a standard-definition source is never forgotten. There are many instances throughout the transfers that the interlacing is obvious and a bit of an eye-sore. The art work is never as crisp, clear, or well-defined as a modern high-definition production. Nonetheless, Paranoia Agent is such a unique and compelling visual creation that these high-definition-upscaled encodes manage to preserve the colorful and iconic style of the series nonetheless.

Chedney Honks

Great. Thirty quid down the fuckin John.

Glebe

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 03, 2021, 02:05:24 PMGreat. Thirty quid down the fuckin John.

According to that article that's the best they could do.

Consignia

Yeah tons of series produced from the late 90s to the early 2010s were made for SD tvs only. Which means they only have masters of around 480i. Earlier was on painted cells, recently is more likely to be rendered at 1080 upwards. The art direction is ace, so you probably won't notice any problems.

Chedney Honks

OK, fair enough. Just scooped it all out the pan.

Why did I use small change? What a divvy.

Consignia

Wash your hands though, you don't want to get toilet AIDs.