Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Living off grid, building cabins, maximising being outdoors etc. [split topic]

Started by Twit 2, February 15, 2021, 07:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 15, 2021, 06:05:39 PM
Marvellous work, Twit2. Your cabin project and an overall praise of cabins and the great outdoors culture deserves a thread on its own.

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 15, 2021, 11:13:21 AM
To steer this to the positive, let's celebrate off-grid living. I think it's cool that Buelligan has done a gaff up with some TLC. It's wholesome. I have been helping a mate build a cabin in his woods. Yes, you need to afford the land (4.5 acres, 50 grand). But the timber for this is a couple of grand. Then it's good old hammer, saw, electric drill and screws.

Gonna head down there now and put a roof on the cunt.

Alright cheers.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 15, 2021, 11:47:18 AM
Cabin looks fuckin sweet. If it wasn't for my family I'd love to completely jilt this shitty society.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 15, 2021, 12:18:19 PM
I would be well up for living in the woods but what's to stop someone burning my cabin down when I'm asleep and skulling my crispy corpse?

I have a mate in Colorado who basically went to his cabin when Corono first popped off and he just drank beers, played Nintendo and fished. He also had a shitload of guns which he fired around the place which is probably off-putting for would-be necros.

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 15, 2021, 05:58:02 PM

Today's progress. There's more trusses out of shot, so whole roof frame is there. Plywood on the roof next, some decent felt on top of that. Lino floor and skirtings. There'll be a couple of partition walls, so 2 bedrooms and a living room. He already has a separate eco-toilet building. There is an outdoor fire and cooking area. Gazebo thing for storage and kitchen stuff. No shortage of fire wood.

It's not a primary residence; he's still got his house. Eventuality he could move out there permanently and build something bigger I guess or make what's there even more off-griddy. For now, it's just an awesome place to hang out for a few days when you want to fuck off civilisation. I'm jealous of him, but I do get to go down there and chill so that's cool.

Can't wait to burn it down with tealights.

BlodwynPig

You've fucked up by using egg boxes for foundations, otherwise good stuff.

Norton Canes

BlodwynPig

Noodle Lizard

I get very into this idea on-and-off, and still look into it occasionally for daydreams. There are some truly incredible things people have done with little other than hard work and a boatload of passion (Twit 2's one looks lovely). It's not at all realistic in my circumstances, but I think if I were single and had no "real" responsibilities I'd look quite seriously into it.

I started camping last year and absolutely love it. It's surprising how quickly you realise all the things you don't need, and how relaxing it is to be without them - for a while, at least. Time moves so much slower in the outside. I wish I'd taken more advantage of it when I was younger.

Twit 2

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 15, 2021, 07:36:14 PM
(Twit 2's one looks lovely).

It's my friend's. I'm just helping. We do hang out in the woods a lot though. Camp overnight sometimes, make a fire, cook off it. Bliss.

QuoteI started camping last year and absolutely love it. It's surprising how quickly you realise all the things you don't need, and how relaxing it is to be without them - for a while, at least. Time moves so much slower in the outside. I wish I'd taken more advantage of it when I was younger.

I started wild/stealth camping last year. It's incredible. There's a massive YouTube sub-culture for this. Lots of people doing some incredible stuff, both sides of the Atlantic. Great for getting tips. My friends and I make it less wholesome by combining with drugs and booze but we genuinely love the bushcraft side of it too and the main reason for doing it is the wide open spaces, the views and fresh air and being away from bullshit 21st century life. Need a separate camping thread.

Icehaven

I have a burning, desperate need to live as far away from people as I can possibly get, but I have no money and have to get to work. What's the cheapest way to realistically do something like this? The closest we've come is considering taking out a loan to buy a cheap barge and doing it up, but lack of savings to fall back on makes it a massive risk, and boats come with a whole lot of their own considerations. I'd seriously live in a garden shed right now if it meant I didn't have to hear other people slamming doors or playing music or have their rubbish piling up outside the front door. Is this really only something the rich can do or is there any way normal people ever manage it? (I already know the answer to this.)

Twit 2

Buelligan

I know a fair few people who aren't rich and who do live like this (in different ways) but it does come with its own issues that you have to be prepared to put up with obvs.  I've done a few fairly intense house things and I'd say, you definitely have to have true grit and be determined to make it work (if you can't pay people to make it work for you), especially if you're doing it as your only home.  And I think it can be quite hard on relationships.  IMO, easier alone, but then, I find everything easier alone. 

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 15, 2021, 07:45:44 PM
It's my friend's. I'm just helping. We do hang out in the woods a lot though. Camp overnight sometimes, make a fire, cook off it. Bliss.

I started wild/stealth camping last year. It's incredible. There's a massive YouTube sub-culture for this. Lots of people doing some incredible stuff, both sides of the Atlantic. Great for getting tips. My friends and I make it less wholesome by combining with drugs and booze but we genuinely love the bushcraft side of it too and the main reason for doing it is the wide open spaces, the views and fresh air and being away from bullshit 21st century life. Need a separate camping thread.

Absolutely. I've never been "good with my hands", partly because DIY and construction type stuff never really appealed to me, but there's something different about doing it in that kind of setting. The feeling that it's somewhat "essential", I guess.

I like to camp with as little as possible. Out here, it's all about RVs and huge propane grills and all sorts of gimmicks, but the idea of bringing the equivalent of a small house with you seems to be missing the point. If I've got a tent, a hatchet and knife, a lighter/firesteel and some food and drink (it's beer, let's be honest), I'm a happy camper. I can sit and stare at a fire at night for hours on end. I really, really love being out there.

Have you watched the History Channel show Alone yet? I know there are a couple of fans on here, but I'd recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone even slightly into this stuff (or who's just into good reality TV). It's astonishing what some of these people are able to do with what's around them, and how comfortable they're able to make themselves in incredibly harsh conditions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_(TV_series)

Marner and Me

Quote from: icehaven on February 15, 2021, 07:47:28 PM
I have a burning, desperate need to live as far away from people as I can possibly get, but I have no money and have to get to work. What's the cheapest way to realistically do something like this? The closest we've come is considering taking out a loan to buy a cheap barge and doing it up, but lack of savings to fall back on makes it a massive risk, and boats come with a whole lot of their own considerations. I'd seriously live in a garden shed right now if it meant I didn't have to hear other people slamming doors or playing music or have their rubbish piling up outside the front door. Is this really only something the rich can do or is there any way normal people ever manage it? (I already know the answer to this.)
My parents have a barge, they brought their first one in the mid 90s as a shell for 5 grand, my dad did it up and it eventually sold for 15, which then went into their next one, again brought the shell and built it from scratch. They did have plans to permanently move onto it however I think they have been shelved for now. He now makes cratches (a wooden structure for the front that a tarp is placed over and can be removed) for other canalists.

Twit 2

Quote from: icehaven on February 15, 2021, 07:47:28 PM
buy a cheap barge and doing it up

Mate also has a boat.

Couple of grand. It's the moorings that cost. But yeah, can't wait to be allowed on the river again. I've seen otters, kingfishers, glorious sunsets. Total peace and quiet. Even do it in the winter, moor up at a riverside pub, couple of pints and cheesy chips, game of backgammon by the fire, head back.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I have concerns about waste (effluent, "grey water", rubbish).

I've never been camping and I'd love to try it at least once. Proper camping in a tent, possibly with dog.

Icehaven

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 15, 2021, 08:11:24 PM
Mate also has a boat.

Couple of grand. It's the moorings that cost. But yeah, can't wait to be allowed on the river again. I've seen otters, kingfishers, glorious sunsets. Total peace and quiet. Even do it in the winter, moor up at a riverside pub, couple of pints and cheesy chips, game of backgammon by the fire, head back.

That's beautiful, a couple couldn't live on it but something a little bigger maybe. Mooring costs aren't a huge concern as they're still a lot less than the rent on a poky flat. Given the current basic outgoings (rent, council tax, energy) on said poky flat are about £650-700pcm, and repayments on a loan to buy one is basically the same as having a mortgage only possibly much cheaper, it's increasingly looking like the sensible option.

Icehaven

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

How do you pipe internets into a barge so you can get a decent wank on in it?

Icehaven

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 15, 2021, 09:36:08 PM

I'd have thought it'd have to be mobile, but I may be wrong.

touchingcloth

You can't get internet on barges. It's the information super highway, not the information super canal, geniuses.

Hand Solo

I can recommend Josie & Rim II: Canal Duck Fest

Pijlstaart

Think people aren't very good at making things. Take for example ditches, they're great, you can skitter down them, get flung in them, be preyed upon in them, they potentiate juxtaposition, cracking stuff, but they're only good because we didn't make them. A man-made ditch would have stairs built in and it'd go the wrong way, can imagine no-nothing wideboy builders pointing at ditches between cups of oversugared tea[nb]Another thing they've "made" >:([/nb] and saying, "Let's do one of those", and they'd get it wrong wouldn't they, a ditch in name only.

When Mother went through her new-age phase she "made" christmas decorations by spray-painting pine-cones, ruining more than making, I think, a squirrel could have eaten those but guess not now. We make our clothes polar along an axis for no discernible reason, we make willy be sick, we make Pijlstaart wash off his beautiful crumb patina, and things aren't improving. If we hadn't made walls, treasured woodland friends could have dragged us off into the gloom ages ago, that's the style in poorer countries like Bhutan, and they're happier for it.

Ray Travez

Me and ChrissieBRMC stayed on a barge in Hackney Marshes a few years back; it was wonderful, could definitely live like that. The answer to your question is large solar panels + wifi.

Ferris

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 15, 2021, 11:42:22 PM
Me and ChrissieBRMC stayed on a barge in Hackney Marshes a few years back; it was wonderful, could definitely live like that. The answer to your question is large solar panels + wifi.

I've stayed on a friends boat (in Hackney Wick as it happens), and it's fine. It feels a lot like camping - everything's just a bit more difficult than it would usually be (boiling all your water, making toast using a frying pan, running the engine if you want to watch telly in the evening etc).

My "bed" was the kitchen table with a roll of foam you had to do every night. It was v damp and you're up against a window with no insulation so you're 2 ft and a sheet of glass away from sleeping on the towpath.

It was alright for me for a week, but unsustainable long term. My buddy had to go to friends flats in Walthamstow every couple of days to borrow their shower (and the unwritten rule was to save jobbies for when you go to the pub to reduce sewage pump costs).

Would fucking love a cabin though. Place in the middle of nowhere to get plastered and go fishing. Magic.

Retinend