Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:40:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Collaborative CaB, a loose band of baldness / or remixes

Started by RenegadeScrew, February 16, 2021, 02:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenegadeScrew

Apologies if such a thread has been done before.  But at least a few people around here play instruments and are amateur music makers.

I always have lots of bits and bobs lying around that I don't use but which are of some sort interest on their own.  I suppose other people have the same.  What might be a rubbish song for one person might be interesting to me, even if I have to reverse it and slow it down.

Would anyone be interested in some sort of loose collaboration, whether it be collective chucking stuff into this thread, or something more conventional like people looking for vocals, something extra on a track, remixes, lyrics without music, etc?

I suppose the thread could serve for either purpose, or be a complete waste of time.

the

Great thread idea, a shame no-one's picked up on it.

Don't know if this is something you envisaged, but I quite like the idea of throwing some orphaned excerpts and samples in here, and seeing if anyone wants to pick them up and do anything with them. The results could be posted back in here.

I'm currently thinking about trying to deal with my 20-year backlog of unused bits and pieces, and seeing if I can turn them into something releasable (just to set them free and get them out of the way more than anything). As I go along it might throw up some odds and ends for a sample pool.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: the on February 17, 2021, 12:52:45 PM
Don't know if this is something you envisaged, but I quite like the idea of throwing some orphaned excerpts and samples in here, and seeing if anyone wants to pick them up and do anything with them. The results could be posted back in here.

Yes! This is pretty much exactly what I envisage.  I think there will be enough variety of throw-away stuff among people who just use DAW/samples.  But if anyone plays stuff, raps or sings, it becomes really very interesting I think.

I think results should definitely be posted back here.  It is an easy way to listen to other people and hear what they can do.  If you take an idea of mine, you can be sure that at least one person (me) will be listening to what you post with interest.

I'll maybe get a couple things up later myself too.

Some of the other stuff I mentioned (like looking for vocals,etc) could hopefully follow.  More direct forms of collaboration would require knowing people to some extent I suppose.

Ferris

Would be well up for this. I have loads of little bits I don't know what to do with. No electronic beats or anything though, all guitars and piano/keyboard mainly.

Nagsworth/Mollusk mentioned he wanted to do something like this (I think?) so might be worth shooting him a PM.

The Mollusk

Yeah I'm deffo into this vibe. Especially loving the noncommittal do whatever you want approach which means I won't beat myself up for potentially never doing anything!

Petey Pate

Ferris

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 17, 2021, 02:01:33 PM
Especially loving the noncommittal do whatever you want approach which means I won't beat myself up for potentially never doing anything!

Yeah and me.

What is a good hosting platform for putting little ideas and bits onto? Something fairly straightforward. SoundCloud? Is that what people use?

earl_sleek

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 17, 2021, 02:01:33 PM
Yeah I'm deffo into this vibe. Especially loving the noncommittal do whatever you want approach which means I won't beat myself up for potentially never doing anything!

Yep, me too!

The Mollusk

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 17, 2021, 02:14:18 PM
Yeah and me.

What is a good hosting platform for putting little ideas and bits onto? Something fairly straightforward. SoundCloud? Is that what people use?

I think Dropbox or Google Drive would be good. Both of mine full of shite though so not sure if anyone else has one with a decent whack of free space? Probably only needs to be something like 1GB right?

Typically links through sites like Sendspace etc tend to expire fairly quickly.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 17, 2021, 05:58:38 PM
I think Dropbox or Google Drive would be good. Both of mine full of shite though so not sure if anyone else has one with a decent whack of free space? Probably only needs to be something like 1GB right?

I think whatever is easiest for people.  Something specifically designed for audio like Soundcloud or Audius (which seems to have no limits) might be better for people trying to preview links.

Wonderful to see a few people up for whatever this is or may turn out to be.

the

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on February 17, 2021, 08:04:26 PMSomething specifically designed for audio like Soundcloud or Audius (which seems to have no limits) might be better for people trying to preview links.

If you share a link to an audio file that's on Dropbox, when people follow the link there should be an audio player for them to play the audio on the page, alongside the button to download it.

An alternative free thing I've been using (to share tracks, although you could also use it for audio snippets) is Chirbit. I like it because it's neat and tidy and not connected to anything else (other social media profiles etc)*. You have the option to make each audio file downloadable or not.

* And TBH it'd be best to not get into excessive linking to our existing musical profiles on here

RenegadeScrew

Chirbit seems cool.  I've signed up to set the ball rolling, and to set the bar low to encourage others to participate!

Weird sax interlude thing that's really Ableton's operator (and stuff) - https://chirb.it/CrKO4D

Long Meandering Piano Chord Loop thing- https://chirb.it/FhN4sg

Piano/Bass/Drum Loop - https://chirb.it/A8cmcF

Drum loop with&without bass - https://chirb.it/3nv9GP

Weird African Dilla Drum loop in various states - https://chirb.it/hd3Eea

I've made everything downloadable.  For the drum loops I wasn't sure whether to include anything else or not.  Some of the beats are in 4/4 but are kinda secretely in something weird too (like 4/7) as thats where all the swung/offbeats are.

earl_sleek

I can't get the download links to work in Firefox or Safari, whether I'm signed into Chirbit or not. It's not an insurmountable problem as I can record the audio directly into Ableton using Soundflower, but wondering if anyone else has the same problem?

RenegadeScrew

Thanks for letting me know.  The download doesn't work in Chrome or Firefox based browsers for me as well.

Not ideal to record it as I presume they are streaming it compressed whereas it is uploaded in WAV.

I've uploaded to a google drive folder which quite frankly was easier and quicker anyway.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ku_NXNp5RfyKFT5INPyVt4NBYmzhJN4h?usp=sharing

Petey Pate

I was going to say, at least with Google Drive you can batch upload files, whereas in Chirbit you can only upload files one at a time.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 18, 2021, 11:56:29 AM
I was going to say, at least with Google Drive you can batch upload files, whereas in Chirbit you can only upload files one at a time.

Yeah, and you need to go and edit each track to make it downloadable.  Which in hindsight was a waste of time.

BeardFaceMan

Funny, I was just looking at BeatConnect recently for doing something similar to this, that's more for people collaborating on a track though. It's a plug-in you use in you DAW that allows everyone added to access the workflow. It was also free when I was looking at it but now it's been properly launched you have to pay for it. It's interesting to me how easy it is now for total strangers to make beautiful music together.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 18, 2021, 12:46:51 PM
Funny, I was just looking at BeatConnect recently for doing something similar to this, that's more for people collaborating on a track though. It's a plug-in you use in you DAW that allows everyone added to access the workflow. It was also free when I was looking at it but now it's been properly launched you have to pay for it. It's interesting to me how easy it is now for total strangers to make beautiful music together.

Yeah them sort of things are interesting, although in the case of a plug-in I keep my music laptop offline at all times and presume some other people do the same.

Doing it here works well compared to those sites because anyone can do whatever they want.  And also because CaB has users that are brought together through comedy but it kinda extends in an interesting way to politics/music/etc. 

the

Sorry about Chirbit's download mechanism not working - I haven't used it for making files downloadable myself, so took it in good faith that it would work.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 17, 2021, 05:58:38 PM

I can give you some space on my google drive if you want.  If you PM me your gmail then I can give you access to a folder on it.

Or anyone else I suppose.