Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fashion items/clothes you're surprised haven't made a come-back yet

Started by MoonDust, February 16, 2021, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 16, 2021, 08:40:01 PM
Bootcut bootcut and thrice bootcut.  Let John Cooper Clarke get on with his own thing and the rest of us can enjoy the breeze.

I keep reading stuff at the moment about how Gen Z are now mocking millennials for our love of skinny jeans and side-parted hair. The skinny jeans I can sort of understand, as they're definitely synonymous with a particular generation and they did become a bit of a uniform (though apparently the rationale behind the scorn is that they're not inclusive of diverse body shapes - whereas I'd argue that fitted, stretchy jeans can actually be quite flattering on fuller figures).

But side partings? That seems like such an inoffensive thing to target, it's just quite a universally flattering hairstyle on most face shapes and hair types. I guess all the kids have centre parts these days then? Hard to pull off unless you've got very symmetrical features.

Pretty much anything which was fashionable in the 90s-to-early-00s has been having a resurgence for some time now, though (the majority of listings on fashion reseller site Depop seem to have #Y2K hashtags) - the cynical view would be that's because the people now in charge of dictating trends are of a generation where that's what was trendy when they were young, but I dunno, I guess everything just goes in circles inevitably.

Marner and Me

Skinny jeans, chequered shirts and a tie, tie with jeans, christ was crap at the time, leave that one where it is!

flotemysost

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 19, 2021, 08:50:10 PM
christ was crap at the time

No need to bring Him into this. Far too hot in Jerusalem for skinny jeans anyway.

thenoise

Adult nappy and beard is a strong look,tbf,although the crown of thorns was an accessory too far.

PlanktonSideburns

Cuntbeaks

Marner and Me

Quote from: flotemysost on February 19, 2021, 09:13:02 PM
No need to bring Him into this. Far too hot in Jerusalem for skinny jeans anyway.
Na he's cool, he wouldn't wear skinny jeans and sandals

buttgammon

I think it's fair to say a charismatic Palestinian man from the first century was probably extremely attractive, albeit not very in tune with Gen Z tastes.

Marner and Me

No wonder he got crucified, stepping out in sandals and a toga, that was soooo Old Testament

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 19, 2021, 08:50:10 PM
Skinny jeans, chequered shirts and a tie, tie with jeans, christ was crap at the time, leave that one where it is!
Skinny jeans with long pointy shoes (on men) was the other awful 00s fashion. Also, early skinny jeans weren't made of super-stretchy fabric, you had to wrestle them on and then they fell down in five minutes. I have bizarrely seen an attempt at reviving these, because people like to suffer for fashion.

Marner and Me

As bad as tight suit trousers, tight t shirt and stupid chunky orthopaedic looking trainers, with no socks. 

Dex Sawash

Gradual Decline

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 20, 2021, 03:07:01 PM
1970's snake belts.

I found one of these in my dads wardrobe and accidentally twatted my sister in the eye with it...She couldn't see out that eye for a fortnight, hospital job...memories. 

Jockice

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 20, 2021, 03:07:01 PM
1970's snake belts.

I have one. i only bought it about three years ago. In a great shop called Rowells in Long Eaton. Which has now sadly shut. A bit tight but it fits. Edwyn and Jarvis have been seen wearing them in the past. I had one in my 20s as well. I'm a fan. Think they're dead cool.

How about star jumpers? I really wanted one as a kid but didn't get one until they'd been out of fashion for at least a year. That was my mum's way. If I wanted a specific item of clothing she would wait until the sales. Not the first sales, when the trendy kids had stopped wearing them and the less cool kids had them bought by their mums, but the second sales when even the uncool kids had stopped wearing them. On the exact day when nobody was wearing something, my mum would buy me it. You could time it to the second.

Well either that, or she would buy me something that looked vaguely like what I wanted but wasn't. And then say 'nobody will notice' if I complained. Which made me wonder if she'd actually experienced childhood herself. Like my faux-Adidas t-shirt with two stripes, a v-neck and no badge. I mean, I liked that t-shirt but...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The concept of stuff going out of fashion annoys me, because the people who decide it's shit are the same ones who said it was good in the first place.

petril

the only difference is time. and I honestly never got to be specifically arsed, but I know there are phases where I'll wear sorts of stuff then get bored/not arsed and fancy a change

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gradual Decline on February 20, 2021, 02:27:47 PM
Comfy trousers definitely due a comeback.

I was going to post a pic of Bill Oddie wearing wide trousers from an episode of The Goodies but the only image I could source was low quality and looked like ass, so here's this instead...

Icehaven

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 20, 2021, 06:20:18 PM
I was going to post a pic of Bill Oddie wearing wide trousers from an episode of The Goodies but the only image I could source was low quality and looked like ass, so here's this instead...

The doors in Bowie's house must have been a strange shape.

Oz Oz Alice

At some point in the 70s he caught an unusual form of crabs from one of his teenage groupies that made him walk like one. It's a little known fact that Bowie could only walk sideways from this point on. Any footage showing him walking conventionally (i.e. frontways) was doctored.

Gulftastic

Quote from: The Dog on February 18, 2021, 11:18:49 AM
Brown shirts

The colour brown in general. All over the place in the 70's. Cars, suits, shirts, ties, trousers.

bgmnts

I wear brown. The neutral colours I quite enjoy for clothing.

Jockice

I have a brown shirt, brown trousers and a brown zip-up jacket. I did have a brown t-shirt too but it got ripped.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Jockice on February 20, 2021, 08:56:04 PM
I have a brown shirt, brown trousers and a brown zip-up jacket. I did have a brown t-shirt too but it got ripped.

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on March 17, 2011, 01:46:34 PM
I barely had any energy left, but joined in with their protestations, naked at that point, save for the one good sock.

flotemysost

Quote from: buttgammon on February 20, 2021, 10:37:32 AM
I think it's fair to say a charismatic Palestinian man from the first century was probably extremely attractive, albeit not very in tune with Gen Z tastes.

This reminds me of the Saatchi & Saatchi campaign for Sagatiba featuring LEGEND JESUS

The Dog

Quote from: The Dog on February 18, 2021, 11:18:49 AM
Brown shirts

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 20, 2021, 06:53:12 PM
The colour brown in general. All over the place in the 70's. Cars, suits, shirts, ties, trousers.

Was thinking more about the 1930's to be honest.

pigamus

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on February 20, 2021, 12:30:43 AM
Turn-ups

A fashion that's still waiting to be "in".

I remember in about 1989 my mom couldn't be bothered turning up my far-too-long jeans so she simply told me it was fashionable to turn them up. I went round looking like I was in Slade. I was an incredibly stupid child.

Mr Banlon

I thought turn-ups were back. Seen plenty of turned-up jeans to show off the selvedge.