Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:14:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing 'wrong' artist reviews

Started by BlodwynPig, February 17, 2021, 06:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Solstice, UK new age progress from the 80s have a new album out called Sia, cue hilarious confused reviews (the artwork alone should give it away)

QuoteI think Sia could have done better with this album. Not bad, but not what I expected. I love Sia, but I did not find her normal* 'avant-garde' sensibility here. Just my opinion, I still love her music and voice.
* Footnote: I am not sure that I I would describe Sia as an avant-garde musician, but she is without a doubt a cutting-edge performer at the top of her artistic craft. I look forward to her next endeavor.

Quotei made a big mistake in thinking this was Sia the Australian singers new cd ,so very disappointed to find out it isn't .Its a bunch of hippies , still i might give it a listen it might be ok

Any other good examples?

popcorn

Thought this thread was going to be about negative reviews for albums that went on to become classics, which is always interesting reading.

Er... sorry. Got nothing else to say.

Bye,

BlodwynPig

Quote from: popcorn on February 17, 2021, 06:46:01 PM
Thought this thread was going to be about negative reviews for albums that went on to become classics, which is always interesting reading.

Er... sorry. Got nothing else to say.

Bye,

good idea. Please continue. First ever 'normal' post from you?

popcorn

A lot of the confused reviews for Kid A are quite interesting:

Quote from: Alexis Petridis, Guardian self-consciously awkward and bloody-minded, the noise made by a band trying so hard to make a 'difficult' album that they felt it beneath them to write any songs

Quote from: Melody Maker, Mark BeaumontTubby, ostentatious, self-congratulatory, look-ma-I-can-suck-my-own-cock whiny old rubbish ... about 60 songs were started that no one had a bloody clue how to finish.

Quote from: MojoUpon first listen, Kid A is just awful ... Too often it sounds like the fragments that they began the writing process with – a loop, a riff, a mumbled line of text, have been set in concrete and had other, lesser ideas piled on top.

Quote from: Nick Hornby, for some reasonThe album is morbid proof that this sort of self-indulgence results in a weird kind of anonymity rather than something distinctive and original.

What I find fun about this is just how frightened and baffled these geezers were by rock music that wasn't made with guitars - Kid A is really a lot of fairly conventional melodic songs, just with sounds stolen from Aphex Twin, and that seems fairly apparent these days. There are lots of ways you might bash it but "it's weird!" seems so quaint today.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 17, 2021, 06:40:57 PM
Solstice, UK new age progress from the 80s have a new album out called Sia, cue hilarious confused reviews (the artwork alone should give it away)

QuoteIts a bunch of hippies

I feel the reviewer's pain.

Phil_A

Quote from: popcorn on February 17, 2021, 07:00:18 PM

What I find fun about this is just how frightened and baffled these geezers were by rock music that wasn't made with guitars - Kid A is really a lot of fairly conventional melodic songs, just with sounds stolen from Aphex Twin, and that seems fairly apparent these days. There are lots of ways you might bash it but "it's weird!" seems so quaint today.

God, I remember the reviews at the time took "not getting it" to absurd extremes. One prick in Select (not long before it vanished down the shitter) complaining that it "sounded like a fridge" and Radiohead should try writing some real tunes like U2.

Mark Beaumont really was the worst, smug and thick.

markburgle

Quote from: popcorn on February 17, 2021, 07:00:18 PM

Disagree, it's about 50/50 between melodic songs and tuneless shite (or "progressive"/"experimental" according to taste).

The title track is warbly bollocks, National Anthem has a my-first-bass-guitar riff and Thom half-assing it on vox... I mean I know loads of people love the album (weirdly a mate of mine at the time loved it, when normally I was the one wierding him out with anything slightly unusual and he was Mr Trad with his Stereophonics albums) but there's plenty to criticise about it.

sevendaughters

I also like the Oxes/Arab on Radar split where the Arab on Radar side was actually Oxes pretending to be them and ripping off their song title style and musical approach.

BlodwynPig

QuoteBought this for my Grandma's 90th. She died that evening and I am minded to think it was Billy Ray Cyrix rendition of Achy Breaky Hard Drive that sealed the deal.

Phil_A

Quote from: markburgle on February 17, 2021, 08:04:54 PM
Disagree, it's about 50/50 between melodic songs and tuneless shite (or "progressive"/"experimental" according to taste).

The title track is warbly bollocks, National Anthem has a my-first-bass-guitar riff and Thom half-assing it on vox... I mean I know loads of people love the album (weirdly a mate of mine at the time loved it, when normally I was the one wierding him out with anything slightly unusual and he was Mr Trad with his Stereophonics albums) but there's plenty to criticise about it.

Well, he probably liked it because with the exception of Treefingers, it's all recognisably song-based. It's not like they put a triple length recording of the band throwing different sized pieces of meat down Johnny's stairs, unlike what the reviews at the time would have you believe. I'm sure I remember being mildly disappointed at the time it hadn't gone much further.

Oz Oz Alice

Unfortunately The Quietus have removed their comments section but I remember one outraged commenter slagging off Scott Walker's Bisch Bosch on the grounds that "You fawn over this kind of thing when Scott Walker does it but if it was, say, Eric Cantona your response would be very different!". That really stuck with me.

Brundle-Fly

I might have got this wrong but isn't there an old story abput a music journalist slagging off Side 1 of an album for being too conventional but he wrote up a glowing report on the challenging Musique concrète electronic noise stylings of Side 2? Unfortunately, his review copy was a one-sided acetate. The blank side probably would sound pretty avant-garde. It was published and he became a laughing stock. Was it Double Fantasy?

Egyptian Feast

It was John & Yoko's The Wedding Album. The album was split over 2 discs with a test signal on the other sides.

Quote from: John & YokoDEAR RICHARD THANK YOU FOR YOUR FANTASTIC REVIEW ON OUR WEDDING ALBUM INCLUDING C-AND-D SIDES. WE ARE CONSIDERING IT FOR OUR NEXT RELEASE. MAYBE YOU ARE RIGHT IN SAYING THAT THEY ARE THE BEST SIDES STOP WE BOTH FEEL THAT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME A CRITIC TOPPED THE ARTIST. WE ARE NOT JOKING. LOVE AND PEACE STOP JOHN AND YOKO LENNON.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 17, 2021, 09:02:39 PM
It was John & Yoko's The Wedding Album. The album was split over 2 discs with a test signal on the other sides.

Ha! That's the one.