Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAAT

Started by madhair60, February 18, 2021, 06:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Wow, the CG'd Goro looks shiiiiiiiiit. That can't be the final version they're going with can it? It's Scorpion King level.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 19, 2021, 12:04:32 AM
Why not just watch a good film with tons of gore though?  Such as Peter Jackson's Braindead.  That way you get amazing practical gore effects by the bucket load and a tight, entertaining script with engaging characters and dialogue.  Really can't see what's to be gained by watching a shitty adaptation of a fighting game with crap CG blood that's been added in post-production.

I've already seen Brain Dead!

I don't think anyone thinks this is gonna be as good as that but for me as a fan of daft shite and particularly of Mortal Kombat this is a bit of a must-see

bgmnts

Quote from: Phil_A on February 19, 2021, 12:06:26 AM
Wow, the CG'd Goro looks shiiiiiiiiit. That can't be the final version they're going with can it? It's Scorpion King level.

No joke, the crap 1995 effort looks better.

Blumf

When's Hollywood going to make a Ninja Hamster film, eh!?

Also, no Christopher Lambert being Christopher Lambert, and no Musetta Vander chewing the scenery. This film can get to fuck.

Butchers Blind

Still waiting on a Jet Set Willy film.

Magnum Valentino

Love the first film, wouldn't change a thing about it. This looks a lot more serious and bound to suffer comparison on that basis, much as I try to resist it.

Mister Six

Quote from: Phil_A on February 19, 2021, 12:06:26 AM
Wow, the CG'd Goro looks shiiiiiiiiit. That can't be the final version they're going with can it?

Probably not. These trailers often use pre-finalised renders, before fancy lighting and effects have been added. See also: the first Jurassic World trailer (or possibly teaser, I forget) which had terrible, fake-looking CGI gates.

Anyway, the film looks annoyingly po-faced, but I liked it when Sub-Zero turned that blood spurt into an ice-pick dagger. If the violence is creative and fun, it might be semi-watchable, although as mentioned above, it'll probably be best to just wait till all the fights are on YouTube and watch them individually without any of that plot nonsense getting in the way.

Bazooka

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 19, 2021, 12:18:55 PM
Still waiting on a Jet Set Willy film.

The technology just isn't there yet.

Bazooka

Quote from: Kelvin on February 18, 2021, 06:13:44 PM
Looks like a film that's too po-faced to be entertaining, but you'll love watching the fights on youtube.

Yeah I'll just watch the fights in 4 years time, with Evanescence - Bring Me To Life slapped over the top.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 19, 2021, 02:52:36 PM
Love the first film, wouldn't change a thing about it. This looks a lot more serious and bound to suffer comparison on that basis, much as I try to resist it.
Agreed. The sequel is kinda fun too.

Anyone remember the TV series? Where they knew they were getting cancelled, so the bad guys won and enslaved humanity? That was a heck of an ending.

I also watched most of the web series, "Legacy". It looked good, and the fights were decent, but it had a bad case of blue balls in that it kept not being about the actual tournament but was all buildup (it may have got to the point a bit after I stopped watching, but I'd stopped caring by then).

Magnum Valentino

Wasn't Legacy designed as a primer for a film that was never made? Or is THIS that film?

BeardFaceMan

Wasn't there another short before the web series that was made as a showreel for what the guy could do for a film which led to the web series?

Magnum Valentino

Yeah, it was the best of the lot to be honest.

The cartoon version, for children, was pointless and pleased exactly zero people.

AsparagusTrevor

The animated WB film from last year, Scorpion's Revenge, was pretty decent and authentically gory too.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 20, 2021, 03:56:56 PM
The cartoon version, for children, was pointless and pleased exactly zero people.

I have two DVDs of it and haven't watched either of them.

druss

Not being funny but without the "TEST YOUR MIGHT" song then there's no point in this existing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Just fucking listen to that. How can you not want to rip off someone's head with your bare hands after listening to that?

druss

Ahhh someone has already fixed the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7ju8iqF9Y

Now that's a film I'd see. Will miss it in the cinema and wait until someone has edited the film to play the GOAT song during every fight scene.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: druss on February 20, 2021, 09:29:45 PM
Just fucking listen to that. How can you not want to rip off someone's head with your bare hands after listening to that?
That applies just as much to the music of Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, etc.

idunnosomename

lol the teases of the techno theme. they should've just played some notes on a piano

Quote from: druss on February 20, 2021, 09:31:28 PM
Ahhh someone has already fixed the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7ju8iqF9Y

Now that's a film I'd see. Will miss it in the cinema and wait until someone has edited the film to play the GOAT song during every fight scene.

edit oh whoops. looks way better with the full TEST YOUR MIGHT

they also are clearly appealing to nostalgia with the voiceover of the character names from that

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on February 19, 2021, 05:18:49 PM
Probably not. These trailers often use pre-finalised renders, before fancy lighting and effects have been added. See also: the first Jurassic World trailer (or possibly teaser, I forget) which had terrible, fake-looking CGI gates.

Yes, I'm sure the final version will look amazing.

*cough*

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on February 20, 2021, 06:31:35 PM
I have two DVDs of it and haven't watched either of them.

A couple of nice additions to your tea coaster collection.

St_Eddie

Quote from: druss on February 20, 2021, 09:29:45 PM
Not being funny but without the "TEST YOUR MIGHT" song then there's no point in this existing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Binman Vs Sub-Zero.

druss

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 21, 2021, 03:16:24 AM
Binman Vs Sub-Zero.
Without the theme, it's just a bloke kicking a snowman.

With the theme, an epic battle for the ages.

Goldentony

Anyone give this a go then?

Watched it last night
Spoiler alert
whoever decided that they should abandon things like resolve and whatever else to have Shang Tsung basically act as a fucking billboard for a potential sequel
[close]
needs to be put in prison, but that aside I sort of enjoyed it entirely for the part in the middle where people are killing each other and insulting one another. Everything else was a tad bit shit, Kano goes from funny to insufferable and the Cyrax or whoever it was being like a shock jock morning show sidekick is mad. But honestly, the actual MORTAL KOMBAT stuff was enjoyable, gore was outrageous too.

Malcy

Yeah thought it was alright. Quite funny in parts and cheesy in others. Enjoyed all the little game soundbites but I thought it was really lacking in plot. Kano was a highlight for me.

Spoiler alert
Raiden just zapped Tsung away at the end. Could he not have just done that to any of them at any time? I was pissed when I watched it so might have missed something.
[close]

Spiteface

It was alright, but not Mortal Kombat.

Remaking Enter the Dragon with supernatural powers, monsters and gods shouldn't be that hard. Yet somehow it is.

And the new guy? He has literal plot armour. At best, he is to this movie, what Sawada was to the Street Fighter movie.

Ludi Lin was alright as Liu Kang, always good when an ex-Power Ranger (he was the black Ranger in the 2017 movie)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on April 25, 2021, 11:33:47 AM
Kano was a highlight for me.

It's interesting to note that the actor who played Kano, Josh Lawson, improvised a great deal of his dialogue, which explains why his character is significantly more engaging than all the other characters with their cookie cutter, lifeless dialogue.

Goldentony

also really liked how Raiden was a total prick to everyone, Kung Lao
Spoiler alert
pushing the vapire woman kite first into his spinning hat
[close]
was ALSO a winner

AsparagusTrevor

I watched it yesterday, it certainly had its problems but I must admit it was quite a mindlessly enjoyable couple of hours. As others have said, amongst the pretty bland bunch of Earthrealm heroes Kano is the definite highlight, along with
Spoiler alert
Kung Lao's hat fatality.
[close]
and the Scorpion & Sub Zero opening.