Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Jeff

Started by sardines, February 18, 2021, 08:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sardines

Suddenly getting a shit load of publicity for some bog standard art.
Whats the view here?
Generally I find gig regulars to be the biggest cunts of all. Nobody needs a local celebrity, I'm here to watch the band thanks.

the

visual equivalent of a catchphrase

The Mollusk

The Mollusk

Hey you're that big guy who goes to gigs right

Yeah I am

Big Jeff yeah?

Yeah lol

Legend mate

Imagine that being your existence. Imagine it. Except you can't imagine it because it's so void of substance it is impossible to envision.

Legend though, big fella loves his gigs lol, more power to him I say. Give him a statue. He pretty much already is a statue haha! Except when you get him on the dance floor! Mad guy, love it

The Mollusk

Christ I miss gigs so much. Fuck you jeff for reminding me of that. You ruin everything

the

I wish the bloke no ill at all (although I haven't seen his art yet), but yeah, it's that gum-chewing 'legend mate!' mythos that grates.

Sonny_Jim

Is this big Jeff from Bristol?  Yeah he's fairly recognisable.  Bristol really isn't that big a city so it's fairly common to bump into the same people over and over.

On the topic of 'people you don't really know but notice them around', there was this guy who used to go to raves on Bristol with a milky eye.  Don't know him, never met him but I'd see him around.

Anyway, was at a rave and spotted him, went up to him and said 'alright mate, saw you at such-and-such rave but we left early, was it a good one?'.  He instantly got pissy with me so I left him alone.  Thinking about it later, it must be really fucking annoying to have people recognise you because of a milky eye.

Pink Gregory

YOU LEAVE BIG JEFF ALONE

I think most of his publicity is built by other people; there was at least one thing people did that made him feel uncomfortable so they withdrew it.  I think he's autistic or has learning difficulties, he's been doing art for a long time, Ms Gregory used to volunteer at an art workshop thing years ago that he was at.

It's nice that he can get some interest in his art.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 19, 2021, 06:32:36 AM
I think most of his publicity is built by other people
Quite.  When I used to see him out in Bristol it was pre-social media, I can totally see him being meme material in this day and age.
it's that gum-chewing 'legend mate!' mythos that grates
He always seemed to be more 'Wurzel' party guy than 'Jersey Shore' party guy, if that makes sense.

Pranet

Yeah I've seen him around at a few things and I don't remember him being particularly objectionable. He comes across ok on his twitter feed.

The Mollusk

Stop lying. You all wish he was dead. Even I don't want that but that's what the rest of you are thinking.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 19, 2021, 06:32:36 AM
YOU LEAVE BIG JEFF ALONE

I think most of his publicity is built by other people; there was at least one thing people did that made him feel uncomfortable so they withdrew it.  I think he's autistic or has learning difficulties, he's been doing art for a long time, Ms Gregory used to volunteer at an art workshop thing years ago that he was at.

It's nice that he can get some interest in his art.

He has aspergers.

Agree on his publicity being built by other people, saw him at a bunch of shows in Bristol and just seems like a nice enough guy who is obsessed with gigs that people noticed because he's tall, has big hair and dances enthusiastically, rather than a self proclaimed 'legend' type.

sweeper

He's kind of the patron saint of the Bristol live music scene. Goes out every night (in normal times), enjoys himself, seems like a nice enough guy and has a thing or two to say about social anxiety. Bristol famous - not sure why his name has spread further than that, however.

Kind of depressing to see the spite aimed at him in this thread, to be honest. But then this is the internet, I suppose, and cowardly swipes at soft targets is the name of the game.

The Mollusk

Was obviously a joke mate

sweeper

Is it obvious though, mate? Or do you need to work on your material?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: the on February 18, 2021, 11:53:45 PM
I wish the bloke no ill at all (although I haven't seen his art yet), but yeah, it's that gum-chewing 'legend mate!' mythos that grates.

I fucking do cos he don't fucking pay to get in!  But I agree it's typical Bristol, you can't possibly criticize something that's a bit shit  or limp or wanky because people are so desperate to believe their little corner of the country is so cute and unique and uh-mazing.  See also knitted sheaths for lampposts and hilarious 'jobs not bombs' stickers on adverts.  Don't miss it at all. 

sweeper

Yeah, people who want to live somewhere good are the fucking worst, aren't they?

The Mollusk

Yeah soz but I refuse to accept this level of openhearted embrace from the same person scoffing their Go Betweens snobbery in the King Rocker thread. I hope you're obliterated by the same Gyarados hyperbeam I've summoned to destroy Oversized Geoff and the rest of Bristol.

That was also a joke!!!

sweeper

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 19, 2021, 03:01:11 PM
Yeah soz but I refuse to accept this level of openhearted embrace from the same person scoffing their Go Betweens snobbery in the King Rocker thread.

What does 'scoffing Go-Betweens snobbery' mean? I'm not a snob about the Go-Betweens. Presumably you just skim read the argument I was making in that thread, and misunderstood it.

All the same - you refuse to accept that a person likes the town they live in?

spaghetamine

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 19, 2021, 01:00:04 PM
I fucking do cos he don't fucking pay to get in!  But I agree it's typical Bristol, you can't possibly criticize something that's a bit shit  or limp or wanky because people are so desperate to believe their little corner of the country is so cute and unique and uh-mazing.  See also knitted sheaths for lampposts and hilarious 'jobs not bombs' stickers on adverts.  Don't miss it at all.

these are such inoffensive things to get mad about though

also jeff is a nice bloke with encyclopedic music knowledge, people just vibe with him because of his enthusiasm

the

All the pretend Bristolians wave your poi in the air, ho-ohhh

Pink Gregory

The city that paints over a mural of the 1831 reform riots with a picture of a pug on a skateboard.

ArtParrott

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 19, 2021, 03:59:40 PM
The city that paints over a mural of the 1831 reform riots with a picture of a pug on a skateboard.

Ha, believe it or not, there's a painting of Big Jeff in the same area

sweeper

I live near that dog and it's a great thing

The Mollusk

Quote from: sweeper on February 19, 2021, 03:08:47 PM
What does 'scoffing Go-Betweens snobbery' mean? I'm not a snob about the Go-Betweens. Presumably you just skim read the argument I was making in that thread, and misunderstood it.

All the same - you refuse to accept that a person likes the town they live in?

You misread the tone of the film entirely and made a daft tangential and almost gatekeepy judgement/argument against it after switching it off at the start. And now you're misreading my tone in this thread which is fair enough I guess but I was genuinely only arsing about.

My honest opinion of Bristol however is that it's a beautiful and vibrant city but absolutely unequivocally everyone who lives there bar none should be bolt gunned in the face. And that includes the very many friends I know who live there. And then me and everyone else who lives in my city, which is London.

sweeper

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 19, 2021, 04:16:15 PM
You misread the tone of the film entirely and made a daft tangential and almost gatekeepy judgement/argument against it after switching it off at the start.

None of that is true. I made no judgement of the film. I made a tangental point about the rationale given for the film, by the maker of the film, in the film's introduction. I have no opinion of the film. I didn't watch it.

I like London.

I don't understand what bit of your earlier posts about Bristol is the joke bit. Recommend redrafting.

sardines

Quote from: sweeper on February 19, 2021, 11:30:26 AM

Kind of depressing to see the spite aimed at him in this thread, to be honest. But then this is the internet, I suppose, and cowardly swipes at soft targets is the name of the game.

Nah it was the hope of cheap laughs and spite that led to me creating the thread.

The Mollusk

Quote from: sweeper on February 19, 2021, 04:32:57 PM
I don't understand what bit of your earlier posts about Bristol is the joke bit. Recommend redrafting.

I guess only people from Bristol would struggle to see the funny side of someone saying Bristol should be nuked off the face of the planet.

sweeper

This thread is amazing. It's like a short cut to the beating heart of the internet.

I actually think it might be demolishing brain cells and cauterising synaptic nerves as I read it.

The Mollusk

Well at least you'll always have your skateboarding dog and abundance of ketamine to keep your senses stimulated