Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:22:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley Series Two

Started by jutl, June 30, 2005, 12:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jutl

TJ

If there is a second series, I say we bar all mention of it from this site.

Paul Dee

At least Peter Kay's stopped milking Phoenix Nights.

Although what's the betting that Tony Christie makes an appearance somewhere?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Chortle stretching 0.01 of a fact into ten paragraphs, there.

slim

Perhaps this will be an opportunity to redeem the show and move on from series one. Positivity is the name of the...

#Zzzzzz#

Paul Dee

Actually, what would a second series of Nathan Barley even involve? Surely it'd just be more of the same: Dan Vs Nathan x 6 more episodes?

Lee

Quote from: "Paul Dee"Actually, what would a second series of Nathan Barley even involve? Surely it'd just be more of the same: Dan Vs Nathan x 6 more episodes?
Well at the end of series 1, Dan signed a contract to work for Nathan, so I suppose there could be some steam in that. If it weren't for the fact Nathan Barley was a pile of shit with almost* no merit for a second series.

* The bit with the cat and the scissors was quite good.

Paul Dee

Quote from: "Lee"
Well at the end of series 1, Dan signed a contract to work for Nathan, so I suppose there could be some steam in that.

Oh yes, I forgot about that.

QuoteIf it weren't for the fact Nathan Barley was a pile of shit with almost* no merit for a second series.

Oh yes, I remembered that.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Just don't do it Mr Morris.

Paaaaul

To all the people who slag NB and think that the concensus on this board is that it was a flop, the poll in this thread had 58% of voters saying that Nathan Barley was OK or better. That was from 257 votes which is a pretty good survey size.

If you thought it was crap, you are in a minority, and that is a scientific fact.

TJ

Quote from: "Paaaaul"To all the people who slag NB and think that the concensus on this board is that it was a flop, the poll in this thread had 58% of voters saying that Nathan Barley was OK or better. That was from 257 votes which is a pretty good survey size.

'OK' doesn't count, as it could equally be bracketed with the negative votes too. Plus there was good reason to believe that people were attempting to rig the polls.

23 Daves

Here we go again... I mean, I agree with you and everything, but I'm just saying... here we bloody well go again...

Paaaaul

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Paaaaul"To all the people who slag NB and think that the concensus on this board is that it was a flop, the poll in this thread had 58% of voters saying that Nathan Barley was OK or better. That was from 257 votes which is a pretty good survey size.

'OK' doesn't count, as it could equally be bracketed with the negative votes too. Plus there was good reason to believe that people were attempting to rig the polls.
I was including OK, because I would imagine those that thought it was OK would be interested in a second series (although I imagine that ELW10, Jon Norton and the other neighsayers who over-analysed every second of the series while calling it appalling would probably be more excited by the chance of more cannon-fodder).

Why do you believe that the poll was rigged? Do you believe that Richard Ayaode has signed up to CaB with multiple accounts?

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

It's takes the fucking piss how much leniancy Talkback gives Morris. 'We'll always be there if he wants to do something.' And when he does come around and decide to do something, he arses it up. Morris has turned into that annoying boy at school who does really badly at everything but is still the teacher's pet. 'More port, Morris?'

chimpoo

Sometimes I forget that if it wasn't for him then there wouldn't be all this Nathan Bollocks swingball.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Paaaaul"I was including OK, because I would imagine those that thought it was OK would be interested in a second series (although I imagine that ELW10, Jon Norton and the other neighsayers who over-analysed every second of the series while calling it appalling would probably be more excited by the chance of more cannon-fodder).

I thought Goodbye Mr Kent was "OK". I've given up expecting a 2nd series.

Nathan Barley was nowhere near as good a sitcom.

Paaaaul

Quote from: "Jon_Norton"
Quote from: "Paaaaul"I was including OK, because I would imagine those that thought it was OK would be interested in a second series (although I imagine that ELW10, Jon Norton and the other neighsayers who over-analysed every second of the series while calling it appalling would probably be more excited by the chance of more cannon-fodder).

I thought Goodbye Mr Kent was "OK". I've given up expecting a 2nd series.

Nathan Barley was nowhere near as good a sitcom.

I've given up hope of another series of Flying Circus.  I don't see your point.

I'm not wetting myself in anticipation of another series of Nathan Barley, but I would watch it.
I do think that those on this board who tend to make themselves most heard on the subject, are those who disliked it, yourself included which is why I initiated that poll, because most people I talked to about NB didn't hate it, and I thought the weekly threads were not doing justice to how the board actually felt. I for one couldn't be bother arguing in those threads, because that's all those threads ending up being, arguments.
I just wanted to stick my oar in here before all the "we all hated Nathan Barley " shite came out again, because we didn't hate it.

Jon_Norton

Let's do a deal: if Chris Morris makes a good TV show, I'll say it's a good TV show. Is that fair? Or unfair?

Godzilla Bankrolls

So Paaaaul, you're saying the reaction to Barley was largely one of indifference? Isn't that reason enough to hate it further, what with it being Chris Morris' first big shiny new project proper since the BES?

Pinball

I reckon Nathan Barley is a deliberate attempt at satire from The Morris. This week he's doing "talentless fcuk".

Mister Six

If you thought it was crap, you are in a minority, and that is a scientific fact.

A minority on these boards, but judging by the audience figures a majority out there in the real world. And that is a scientific fact.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Paaaaul"
I for one couldn't be bother arguing in those threads, because that's all those threads ending up being, arguments.

What's wrong with arguments?

Paaaaul

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"So Paaaaul, you're saying the reaction to Barley was largely one of indifference? Isn't that reason enough to hate it further, what with it being Chris Morris' first big shiny new project proper since the BES?

I'd rather watch a relatively poor Morris project than most of the Jimmy Carr/Johnny Vegas shite churned out in the name of comedy by Channel 4.

Quote from: "Mister Six"A minority on these boards, but judging by the audience figures a majority out there in the real world. And that is a scientific fact.
Other facts - most people in the UK didn't watch Charles and Diana's wedding on TV. Coronation Street and Eastenders never have the majority of the country watching them.

Help and The Thick Of It have been two of the best shows on TV this year, which I think the majority of those who saw them will agree, yet both had fairly crap viewing figures. Viewing figures don't equal quality.  Again, I'm not saying NB was a classic work of art, it just needs to be put in perspective. It wasn't Two Pints Of Lager, irrelevant of who was behind it and what their track records have been.

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Paaaaul"I'd rather watch a relatively poor Morris project than most of the Jimmy Carr/Johnny Vegas shite churned out in the name of comedy by Channel 4.

I'd rather not watch any of them. I only persevered with NB because I could see that any negative comments I made after watching 1 episode would be dismissed with "aaah, you didn't see all of it, you missed the context..." So in the event I saw all of it, commented on all of it, and now I get dismissed as some obsessive Morris-hater who loves to watch shows just so he can say he hates them etc. can't win etc.

Like I said Paul: if Morris made a good show, I'd say it was good.

I can't prove this to you, but there have been many, many instances in my life when I sat down to see/read a novel/film/TV show with low expectations, maybe even with a ready-made negative comment that just needed filling out with some details... and then completely changed my mind and ditched the negativity, when I found out I really liked it. If NB had got good after 1, 2 episodes I'd say so. It just didn't.

Peking O

I'm hoping that series two will star Ricky Gervais in some capacity - his ubiquity in every Comedy Chat thread should be mirrored by his TV work.

The Mumbler

The Thick of It, in case anyone's interested, increased its audience when premiered on BBC4.  First episode was watched by 217,000, rising to 350,000 for episode 3.  Which, although it sounds bugger all, is not bad at all for BBC4 - enough to be in its top 10 most watched programmes so far.  And the fact it increased its audience is very interesting.  Audiences for most comedy shows diminish after the first one these days.

Paaaaul

Quote from: "Peking O"Ricky Gervais

Godzilla Bankrolls

Two Pints was a million miles better than Nathan Barley, and Max & Paddy too.

Key

I hope he does just another series of Barley as I loved it. It wasn't really a hit or that popular which would perhaps be precidents for a show to succeed, but personally I really enjoyed it and wouldn't mind seeing where else he can go with those characters.

Mr. Analytical

I thought that Nathan Barley was under-rated.

Its main problem was its directorial voice.  Endless reaction shots and a vibe that slid uneasily from gurning campness to po-faced seriousness, leaving you annoyed at the gurning if you were enjoying it played straight and annoyed at the knowing smugness if you enjoyed the broader humour.

I think there were a number of excellent ideas in the series and you have to admit that its choice of targets was certainly far from easy.  Basically it's written by a bloke who used to run a production company making occasionally rude and occasionally childish online content about a bloke that runs a production company making occasionally rude and occasionally childish online content.  

A lot of the gags failed, a lot of the gags were screwed by poor acting and poor direction but there were some very funny and apt jokes in there too.

It's not Brasseye or People like us but it certainly compares favourably with something like Season 2 of I'm alan Partridge or Season 3 of Black Books and it's streets ahead of something like the Kumars or  Keeping Up Appearances.

If they got a new director and tempered the writing style somewhat I think a second series would be most welcome.