Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League 2021

Started by dr beat, February 19, 2021, 05:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Its hard to believe, even eighteen months ago, where we would be now. 

Yes of course I'm talking about Widnes playing Gavin Henson live on BBC.

Schrodingers Cat

And yet, at Cas, something's never change. Long old season for us I think. We look in the early stages of a rebuild to me. The spine of Evalds, Richardson, Trueman and McShane looks strong (even if I'm not a fan of Richardson), the pack looks light on impact and power and the backline looks slow. Realistically, I am hoping for a top 6 finish and a cup run if we can get decent draws. Don't expect to enjoy watching much of it though...

More generally, expecting Saints and Wigan top 2, HKR, Leigh and Wakey bottom 3 - everyone else could pretty much finish anywhere depending on injuries.

dr beat

Always been a fan of McShane.  He had a good spell with us when we went up in 2012 and played a big part in getting us some wins in what was a bit of a crazy season - mostly got nobbed by 60+ points, the odd 40-point win, and beating Wigan 37-36, our first win that season in fact, after going 18 points behind twice in that game.

Gulftastic

McShane played in what may be my favourite game ever when Leeds beat Manly in 2012 to win the World Club Challenge. He's become a bit of shithouse recently though. Still a cracking player, mind.

Schrodingers Cat

Powell announced as leaving Cas at end of the season. Expected to be Wire bound. Lots of players also out of contract/retiring at the end of the year as well. Hopefully can have one last big season with the squad he's built before a complete changing of the guard next year. Though I do worry we won't replace him well. Playing in the Championship within 3 years of we don't.

dr beat

Anyone see the games on Sunday? I thought Henson made a few errors but kicked well, and generally looked in pretty good shape.  Widnes did ok but felt we allowed too many yards in defence.  Whitehaven next week will be a more realistic test.

Very impressed with Fev as well.

Gulftastic

I totally forgot to watch. Very annoyed when I realised. I've taken time off this weekend, so won't be making that mistake again.

Sad to hear of the passing of Jeff Grayshon. He was right at the end of his playing career when I started watching in '86, but I enjoyed what I saw. RIP Jeffasaurus.

dr beat

BBC iPlayer coverage wasn't great, to put it mildly.  In both games they messed up the on-screen clock (admittedly there was a long stoppage due to injury in the Widnes game), but they couldn't get the Widnes score right either.  And then the feed totally went for a while in the Fev-Bradford game.  Dave Woods was doing his best to hide his annoyance, but it was obvious he was livid.

Might try some other sources next week.  I've heard the Widnes game is on Youtube, also I've heard OurLeague covers a lot but never tried it.

Gulftastic

Quote from: dr beat on March 23, 2021, 06:17:12 PM
BBC iPlayer coverage wasn't great, to put it mildly.  In both games they messed up the on-screen clock (admittedly there was a long stoppage due to injury in the Widnes game), but they couldn't get the Widnes score right either.  And then the feed totally went for a while in the Fev-Bradford game.  Dave Woods was doing his best to hide his annoyance, but it was obvious he was livid.

Might try some other sources next week.  I've heard the Widnes game is on Youtube, also I've heard OurLeague covers a lot but never tried it.

I've had mixed results with ourleague. Some games, no problems, but the Huddersfield - Leeds friendly a week back was unwatchable for the first half.

Mr Eggs

Poor Leigh. Imagine them back in the grounds having voted Tory.
And MP James Grundy is only famous for getting his cock out in a pub in Lowton.

Raiders v Warriors was a banger. Raiders all out on their arse after putting the points on the board.

Greg Inglis not fit for round one. Imagine.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/19184317.greg-inglis-miss-opening-super-league-game-2021/

mikeyg27

Who else knew Wigan were going to come back as soon as Phil Clarke opened his mouth about Leigh not having the resources of Toronto?

Gulftastic

I like that Leigh's coach looks like Smeagel pre-ring possession.

Gulftastic

A bit messy from Leeds but we got the points. Can't wait till we get some players back.

Absolute belter of a second game. Wish HKR could have finished the job.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 19, 2021, 08:10:13 PM
McShane played in what may be my favourite game ever when Leeds beat Manly in 2012 to win the World Club Challenge. He's become a bit of shithouse recently though. Still a cracking player, mind.

I used to know him as a youngster socially, his family were shithouses but lad can ball.  Loads of that Parkside lot were. Chev walker included.

Mr Eggs

Poor Leigh.

Nah. Fuck 'em.

Gulftastic

Now Luke Gale is injured. I don't know what's going on at Leeds but it's looking like the season is a write off just 2 games in. Saints will massacre us on Saturday.

dr beat

Nice to see Clive Sullivan currently being honoured on the Google homepage.

Mr Eggs

Gulftastic

Without the deserved sending off, I reckon we'd have taken Saints. Ah well. Much better viewing than I feared.

Mr Eggs

If Jake Connor wasn't a dick head, could Hull win the Grand Final this year?

Old Thrashbarg

They could. But I don't think Connor being a dick changes that much. As frustrating as it is when he gives away unnecessary penalities, his annoyingness is part of what makes him so good.

Old Thrashbarg

It'll be interesting to see what the RFL do with Clubb. Given the specificity of what he's alleged to have said and Savelio being a quiet, unassuming player, it's hard to imagine it being a false allegation.

Mr Eggs

Jake Connor is a dick head.

Schrodingers Cat

Think we may be seeing the beginning of the end of Castleford as a Super League team. :(

Lost our academy, no new stadium coming, playing terrible under our current coach, piss poor new coach for next year... worrying times.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on May 28, 2021, 10:43:45 PM
Think we may be seeing the beginning of the end of Castleford as a Super League team. :(

Lost our academy, no new stadium coming, playing terrible under our current coach, piss poor new coach for next year... worrying times.

What's happening with the stadium? I thought they'd broken ground near Xscape?

dr beat

What do we think of the Challenge Cup semis? Hull FC v Saints looks tasty, and might Cas have something to prove?

In other news, Fev I reckon will be too good for Widnes :(

Gulftastic

Cas did one of my least favourite things last week and rested a load of players before a big game. I think a team needs to stay sharp, and weeks off don't help. Still, for the sake of my mate Mick, I hope they win.

And I'd like Hull to win, because I'm sick of the Saints' hype.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 29, 2021, 09:44:31 AM
What's happening with the stadium? I thought they'd broken ground near Xscape?

Nothing been announced yet, but the general assumption is it's dead in the water. Brexit didn't help, and COVID has been the final nail in the coffin. It looks like they didn't get enough interest from stores to buy in to the shopping centre, and no-one will risk that sort of investment in a shopping centre now. There was a thing a little while ago about their construction plans changing to include more recreation nearby and a smaller shopping district, but been no announcements it movement since. Cas fans have pretty much all assumed it's a bust, and just waiting for that to be formally admitted to. And as much as I love Wheldon Road, it isn't up to standard. We've now had at least 3 separate stadium plans be given planning permission and then fall through due to lack of funds. And whilst that has mostly been out of our control and it does annoy me when opposition fans suggest Cas have just been dragging our feet over it or not trying hard enough, I don't think we can continue that much longer as we are and still be a top flight enterprise.

Quote from: dr beat on June 03, 2021, 03:36:37 PM
What do we think of the Challenge Cup semis? Hull FC v Saints looks tasty, and might Cas have something to prove?

In other news, Fev I reckon will be too good for Widnes :(

Cas might have something to prove, but don't have the quality to compete if Warrington play well. I think we'll put up more of a fight against Wire than we did against Leeds, but still expect to lose comfortably. Wire by about 20 I reckon. Not a pasting, but just never really in doubt.

And then I fancy Saints to edge Hull, but by less than 10.

Old Thrashbarg

Saints couldn't have been much more dominant last week, right from the opening kick off, but Hull managed to stay just about in touch for most of the game. And it didn't help that the previous game 5 days before was 60 minutes of defending our own line against Leeds. I'm hoping if we can get a better start on Saturday we can at least cause Saints some problems.

Old Thrashbarg