Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:34:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Diablo 2:Resurrected

Started by Bazooka, February 20, 2021, 01:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Need to recoup that goodwill after Diablo III presumably?

Famous Mortimer

I played Diablo 3 on the Switch and it was decent enough.

But I have played D2 more than anything else, just about, so I'm looking forward to this.

Bazooka

Diablo 3 is absolutely fine,I've played many clones and only a few hold up as a complete package, the purists wanted Diablo 3 to be Diablo 2 again.

Cuellar

I only got into these games with diablo 3, so I didn't really know any better, but I really enjoyed it.

Always online was a pain in the chuff and the balancing and loot drops during the auction house days were, with hindsight, hateful.

Looking forward to trying this! I like playing as a glass cannon and kiting enemies. I like being a witch. I hate melee characters. I don't like games where you have to get hit and soak up damage and fights are a level/gear check all the time, I like it when you can survive with a bit of skill and dodge stuff to a certain degree.
Do you think I'll like this one? It looks fun!

I've been pining for a new ARPG to play. I don't really have lots of time to play games so I won't be able to devote my life to it, which it sometimes feels like these games want, but I'm sometimes too tired to shmup, so it's nice winding down of an evening with something like this.

Wolcen is the last game I really enjoyed. Lots of people didn't like it. I think I got lucky with the class and build I played. It wasn't too buggy and the combat was really good fun!

Bazooka

Yes the sorcerer and druid can be glass cannons, it's been years since I played 2, but I remember it being harder than 3 in general.

nice one! I'll go with one those.
You can sign up for the alpha here - https://diablo2.blizzard.com/en-gb/

Alberon

Diablo 3 is good now, though it was a dog's dinner at launch as the auction house totally unbalanced things. Though I think I made back what I'd spent on the game and expansion on it by the time it was shut down.

I remember taking the leap from Windows 3.1 to 95 just to be able to play the original Diablo.

The remastered graphics of D2 look nice but I played it to death back in the day so I don't have much interest.

And Diablo 4 is at least eighteen months away so there's little point bothering about it now.

St_Eddie

Nice!  Now I can bum cows in the gob... in HD!

I tried playing the OG game today and realised that you can't use skills with hotkeys.

You have to use the keys to equip the skills and then use mouse 1 or 2 to use them?

That seems really dated and clunky. Doesn't look like they're modernising that for the remake, unless someone knows otherwise.
I think that'll be a deal breaker for me.

Combat seems pretty slow so far, looks like you just have to just soak up damage as well, not much chance to dodge or avoid things, just chug a potion.

druss

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on February 21, 2021, 10:50:17 PM
I tried playing the OG game today and realised that you can't use skills with hotkeys.

You have to use the keys to equip the skills and then use mouse 1 or 2 to use them?

That seems really dated and clunky. Doesn't look like they're modernising that for the remake, unless someone knows otherwise.
I think that'll be a deal breaker for me.

Combat seems pretty slow so far, looks like you just have to just soak up damage as well, not much chance to dodge or avoid things, just chug a potion.
I would think they'd have to modernise it for the remastered in order for it to be playable on consoles.

I'm well excited about this, Diablo 3 was eventually pretty fun on the PS4 but didn't have the atmosphere of Diablo 1 or 2. The 20 odd difficulty levels also felt a bit odd with Diablo 3, hoping with this that it's just normal, nightmare and hell or whatever the original 3 were.

Played a lot of Diablo 2 but this is going back over 15 years so I've forgotten enough that I'll enjoy this when it comes out, it looks absolutely great and I can't wait to play it again, be great to play it with the girlfriend on a couch which wasn't an option back in the day due to it not being on consoles (or having a girlfriend).

From what I've heard in videos, they will be adding pad support to the pc version (and console, obviously), but that control scheme will come with it's own sack of issues.
I'd rather play mousey keyboard, but it doesn't sound like they'll be updating it :( - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfPRTJZHQw0&t=164s

Had a sniff around the blizzard forums and a lot of people are talking about it in various threads, so hopefully the devs see sense and allow skill hotkey bindings on keyboard, and not just six, I have loads of keys, may as well use them.

example - https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/d2r-wait-what-xd/27499
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/diablo-2-resurrected-hotkeys/27521
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/d2-skill-hotkey-system-and-right-click-only-casting-is-outdated/27192

druss

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on February 23, 2021, 10:28:51 AM
From what I've heard in videos, they will be adding pad support to the pc version (and console, obviously), but that control scheme will come with it's own sack of issues.
I'd rather play mousey keyboard, but it doesn't sound like they'll be updating it :( - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfPRTJZHQw0&t=164s
PC Gamer reported "There are new hotkeys. " but didn't go into more detail.

badaids

Can't believe that I paid like 50 sheets back when Diablo III came out and it was BOLLOCKS and now it's free and it's apparently good.

Quote from: druss on February 23, 2021, 10:30:58 AM
PC Gamer reported "There are new hotkeys. " but didn't go into more detail.

Oh, right. Thanks man. Hopefully they'll pipe up and confirm, or I'll see for myself when the alpha comes.

druss

Quote from: badaids on February 23, 2021, 10:33:02 AM
Can't believe that I paid like 50 sheets back when Diablo III came out and it was BOLLOCKS and now it's free and it's apparently good.
It's still not as good as Diablo 2, unless I'm looking back through rose tinted specs. The difficulty levels are all over the place, you can blast through the main story two shotting every boss and then in the "endgame" you basically just run through these things called rifts which have hundreds of different difficulty levels and depending on how powerful your character is depends on what level rift you can complete. There's no real sense of achievement as how high a rift level you can complete is entirely dependent on how much time you've invested and whatever build is most powerful in the current update.

The gameplay is still fun but I would have liked there to have been some sort of challenge to the main game. Doesn't need to be Sekiro level hard but at least some challenge would have been nice.

There's nothing similar to getting wrecked by Duriel in Diablo 2, if anything you are Duriel in every encounter.

Yeah, I can remember before they scrapped the auction house, some of the harder difficulties were really good fun, you had to really concentrate during some of the fights.
I got to the stage where the game was getting too hard and I wasn't willing to spend money in the auction house so I had to just leave it there.

I came back to try it again once the balancing was supposedly fixed and they'd made it all too easy, I was keep bumping the difficulty up further and further trying to find the biting point between the challenge and my build/skill and could just never find it.

Still fun, but it always felt like that first relaxing run where you're just beating normal, going through the motions, which is a nice thing to do when you're tired, but you want the game to fight back eventually because that does get old quickly.

druss

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on February 23, 2021, 11:36:12 AM
Yeah, I can remember before they scrapped the auction house, some of the harder difficulties were really good fun, you had to really concentrate during some of the fights.
I got to the stage where the game was getting too hard and I wasn't willing to spend money in the auction house so I had to just leave it there.

I came back to try it again once the balancing was supposedly fixed and they'd made it all too easy, I was keep bumping the difficulty up further and further trying to find the biting point between the challenge and my build/skill and could just never find it.

Still fun, but it always felt like that first relaxing run where you're just beating normal, going through the motions, which is a nice thing to do when you're tired, but you want the game to fight back eventually because that does get old quickly.
I never played it when it came out, I'd read so much negativity about it that even being a big Diablo 2 fan wasn't enough. It was one of the first games that cost a lot more as well so I didn't want to shell out on it.

Had a lot of fun when I eventually bought the PS4 version with Reaper of Souls, the gameplay is fantastic, but as you say having to keep changing the difficulty is very silly. I can't think of any other game that has such a weird difficulty curve that you have to constantly fine tune. I believe there are 20 difficulty levels which is just ridiculous.

Alberon

The endgame in D3, such as it is, was cobbled together after launch. The devs were widely criticised for thinking they knew better than the fans with the initial game design. Not that fans are always right by a long shot, but you do have to consider their concerns.

D4 is still a long way out, but I do hope they have learnt. I do think Blizzard's glory days are long gone, but there's a chance they can produce something really good.

badaids

Quote from: druss on February 23, 2021, 11:08:20 AM
It's still not as good as Diablo 2, unless I'm looking back through rose tinted specs. The difficulty levels are all over the place, you can blast through the main story two shotting every boss and then in the "endgame" you basically just run through these things called rifts which have hundreds of different difficulty levels and depending on how powerful your character is depends on what level rift you can complete. There's no real sense of achievement as how high a rift level you can complete is entirely dependent on how much time you've invested and whatever build is most powerful in the current update.

The gameplay is still fun but I would have liked there to have been some sort of challenge to the main game. Doesn't need to be Sekiro level hard but at least some challenge would have been nice.

There's nothing similar to getting wrecked by Duriel in Diablo 2, if anything you are Duriel in every encounter.

Yes that is spot on. 

I downloaded Diablo III again yesterday, got to the end of the 1st chapter and apparently I have to pay again to get more content.  Battle.net have cancelled my previous account too.  Blizzard can get fucked - I'll never pay for any of their content again.  It doesn't play any different, there are any number of free to play games that are similar to it. 

Alberon

I've been playing D3 again after a couple of years away. The power creep is ridiculous. I've got five pieces of one of the newer sets for my class and on Torment 4 I just have to push three buttons to make Diablo explode.

Famous Mortimer

MrLlamaSC, D2 speedrunner par excellence, has just - after 4 years of grinding - got the last unique item he was looking for, Mang Song's Lesson. So now he has one of everything in the game, and will hopefully have a rest before Resurrected comes out. I like popping him on from time to time, and he even did a D2 rap a while ago which wasn't as terrible as it could have been.

Famous Mortimer

It's out properly...this weekend, I think? Anyone going to have a bash? I wonder if my decades-old BattleNet account is still working.

Alberon

I tried to run Resurrected during the open beta a few weeks back. Fucking thing wouldn't even load! It's a sad state of affairs when I can't even trust Blizzard to release something that isn't fucked at launch.

The way things are going I wonder if D4 will ever get released.

druss

A few months ago this was an instant buy from me but I don't think Blizzard deserve my money and I'll only be missing out on essentially the exact same experience I had 20 years ago.

Famous Mortimer

While I also hate giving Blizzard my money, I also really wanted to play this.

It's the same game as it was in 2000. The graphics look nicer, obviously, and there's been some tweaks to the menus, but other than that the experience is pretty much identical. I presume the online version will be fun, and I've got a few friends lined up to play it with, but if you're thinking of buying this for any reason other than nostalgia, you might as well not bother.

Famous Mortimer

After a few more hours playing it at the weekend, I'm beginning to regret the decision. Not just for giving Blizzard more money, but because the clunkiness of the original game comes front and centre now. The Kotaku review of it summed up my feelings pretty well.

Yeah, I tried the pc beta when it came out and the QOL improvements just weren't there.

druss

I caved and I'm really enjoying it. Act IV cut-scene was a bit off though, didn't feel as scary as in the original and Mephisto didn't look right.