Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Oh look, rocks" (Perseverance rover thread)

Started by Norton Canes, February 20, 2021, 11:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Right what I don't get is, they land this tiny little trolley that goes at about five miles an hour flat out on its pissy little wheels, but they've got those massive fuck-off DARPA robots that can jump and do somersaults and shit, why not send one of those bad boys instead? Or one of the creepy dog type ones that can run faster than a cheetah for six days? "Hello creepy dog Mars robot this is NASA control, just get up Olympus Mons and grab us a rock sample huh?" "AFFIRMATIVE" (paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf-paf) "OK DONE THAT"

Srsly tho how cool is this?

Marner and Me

I have no idea what the gravity on Mars is like but I assume to more sturdy and stable the robot is, the less likely it is to fall over and not be able to self right itself, did you not watch Robot Wars.

Dex Sawash

Sebastian Cobb

Pfft Mars? In Milton Keynes they've got one delivering takeaways.

Captain Z

The coolest picture is the one taken from the flying crane as it lowers the rover down onto the surface:

idunnosomename

Mars is the dullest planet. start chucking shit at venus again for christsake

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Captain Z on February 20, 2021, 12:25:14 PM
The coolest picture is the one taken from the flying crane as it lowers the rover down onto the surface:

They've got video of the lowering down, and WITH SOUND. but it'll take them a while to receive all the data.

I don't understand why they don't send one of those little rovers to the moon.  I know people have already been and all, but it'd be cool to have one pootle around taking pictures of stuff.  The mars one took 8 months to get there, a moon one would only take a couple of days.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 20, 2021, 02:46:51 PM
They've got video of the lowering down, and WITH SOUND. but it'll take them a while to receive all the data.

I don't understand why they don't send one of those little rovers to the moon.  I know people have already been and all, but it'd be cool to have one pootle around taking pictures of stuff.  The mars one took 8 months to get there, a moon one would only take a couple of days.
"It'd be cool" yes but also incredibly expensive for no real scientific purpose, basically (unlike answering the question of life on mars). the chinese sent one few years ago though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutu_(rover)

Pinball

In the era of VR, we need rovers pootling around properly mapping the moon and Mars in 3D- and 4K res with sound please (not the moon for sound, obviously). A shame that 3D TVs and broadcasting largely died out, because we need it now.

poo

Rizla

Quote from: poo on February 20, 2021, 05:14:50 PM
It's just about the coolest thing there is
Space-cynic cunts are wank. I remember describing seeing the ISS do a textbook overhead pass the night before to the daft old twats at the bar in my local and getting the "hah imagine being impressed by that" from a few of them. Then one bloke, 60s, goose green veteran, tells me he doesn't believe we landed on the moon. I was at a loss for words.

The Russian one that went to Venus is way cooler. Mars is low energy.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 20, 2021, 01:36:25 PM
Mars is the dullest planet. start chucking shit at venus again for christsake

Well given the recent discovery of phosphine in the Venusian atmosphere its very likely that a new satellite will be sent there soon.

bgmnts

Can we at least fully render this planet fully uninhabitable before we start wrecking others please?

Bence Fekete

I yam big space fan but pointing out how rad these pics are to a non-believer is an exercise in cosmic futility.

Captain Z

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 20, 2021, 02:46:51 PM

Cannot wait for this.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

The Dog

So amazing that those NASA men were able to launch a robot into orbit, navigate it through millions of miles of deep space and land it safely on another planet, without any help at all from their mums.

Quote from: Rizla on February 20, 2021, 05:25:59 PM
Space-cynic cunts are wank. I remember describing seeing the ISS do a textbook overhead pass the night before to the daft old twats at the bar in my local and getting the "hah imagine being impressed by that" from a few of them. Then one bloke, 60s, goose green veteran, tells me he doesn't believe we landed on the moon. I was at a loss for words.

Should've told him you thought that the Falklands War was faked by Thatcher to win an election.  That the 'squaddies' were paid actors, and the ones the reckon died are actually living a life of Riley in a tax haven paid for by the govt.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Get it back here at once, cunt Rover cunt. Get back here and shut up
Back in the fucking box

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Rizla on February 20, 2021, 05:25:59 PM
Then one bloke, 60s, goose green veteran, tells me he doesn't believe we landed on the moon. I was at a loss for words.

It's well known that Argentinians have a very cynical nature.

sirhenry

Alberon

I would never have thought I'd see video from Mars. And yet it comes.

Looks fantastic.

Mobius

Imagine if about 30 seconds after it landed, some alien just walked up and cunted the fucker.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Mobius on February 22, 2021, 08:35:47 PM
Imagine if about 30 seconds after it landed, some alien just walked up and cunted the fucker into a canal

Bence Fekete

Now we're cooking.

Reminded me of that movie. You know, the one about Mars.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Mobius on February 22, 2021, 08:35:47 PM
Imagine if about 30 seconds after it landed, some alien just walked up and cunted the fucker.

There was a Russian probe to Mars or Venus years ago (70's?) where exactly that happened.  It sent picures back for about 30 seconds and then cut off.  People jokingly speculated that a Martian or Venutian (delete as applicable) had cunted the fucker with a sledgehammer.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 20, 2021, 12:01:54 PM
I have no idea what the gravity on Mars is like but I assume to more sturdy and stable the robot is, the less likely it is to fall over and not be able to self right itself, did you not watch Robot Wars.

I'm sure the scientists at NASA have put a srimech on it.