Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:55:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"My bad"

Started by kalowski, February 20, 2021, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Quote from: Buelligan on February 21, 2021, 09:27:07 AM
Hate to invoke Godwin and so on but just thinking about Hitler and his bad.

I think the my bad thing was probably taken from a child's conversation, enjoyed, repeated and then carpet bombed across the anglosphere.  It infantilises evil.  Is that a good thing?  Sometimes, maybe?  All the time?  Absolutely not.

Yes I think this is what grates on so many people about "my bad", it's the slightly infantile aspect of reducing "bad thing I did/said/thought" to just "bad", essentially you might as well be saying "my boo boo, goo goo ga ga".

But as mentioned earlier I don't actually mind it too much and I generally try to be wary of suggesting there's a "correct" way to speak English, it's evolving constantly as it always has done and the people who get all up in arms about perceived transgressions often look like the bigger tits imo. I do also think it's natural and human to have your own hated pet phrases, though.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 21, 2021, 10:32:12 AM
imma right?

You're going to right?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: flotemysost on February 21, 2021, 10:59:39 AM
Yes I think this is what grates on so many people about "my bad", it's the slightly infantile aspect of reducing "bad thing I did/said/thought" to just "bad", essentially you might as well be saying "my boo boo, goo goo ga ga".

But as mentioned earlier I don't actually mind it too much and I generally try to be wary of suggesting there's a "correct" way to speak English, it's evolving constantly as it always has done and the people who get all up in arms about perceived transgressions often look like the bigger tits imo. I do also think it's natural and human to have your own hated pet phrases, though.

tl;dr? meh.

ersatz99

It sounds like more is being written off with 'my bad' instead of 'oops my mistake soz'.

Quote from: earl_sleek on February 21, 2021, 10:07:11 AM
I like "my bad". I like American English and most Americanisms (it's true some of them are fugly), largely for the sheer amount of unneeded petty annoyance they cause other English people.

Likewise.  Early 'annoyed of Tunbridge Wells' types didn't like the Americanism 'hello' as a greeting.  Coleridge whined about the Americans creating 'talented' as an adjective, given that 'talent' isn't a verb.  Most wouldn't blink an eye at their usage now.  I don't see any problem with americanisms.  Some will last, some won't - for all the complaints about the grammatical 'incorrectness' of 'my bad', everyone seems to understand the intention of the user - which is the purpose of language.  I don't use it myself, but I wouldn't get overly annoyed by it.

Buelligan

I don't think the problem (for most) is that the term exists, more that it's become so common.  Currently being used to replace all other expressions of culpability and regret.

I like it that I can still choose to have a car accident and call it a prang.  Or describe someone divinely attractive as perfectly wizard or wicked or peng but I'd hate it if I could only hear the one word echoing back.  And not because I couldn't think of others to replace it for myself but because how lonely that would be.

bgmnts

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on February 21, 2021, 08:41:41 AM
Yes.  'Americanism' for one. (Ok, it was coined by a Scot who was living in the US).  Or 'ok', an Americanism which has definitely improved the language.

Ok is one of the worst pairings except for maybe SS.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2021, 09:44:53 PM
Is there any americanism that has improved the english language?

Disoriented.

Disorientated is unnecessarily long.

Buelligan

I don't agree about that.  Disorientated is far superior.  It has music.

El Unicornio, mang

We stole it from your land and added a bit of rubbish to it, it's très horrible!

QuoteAs for the etymology, English borrowed the verb "disorient" in the mid-17th century from désorienter, a French verb

BlodwynPig

You are absolutement wrong

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 21, 2021, 02:44:38 PM
Disoriented.

Disorientated is unnecessarily long.

Oh, that's why I've developed the inability to use the word without trailing off in the middle, racked with self-doubt. Thanks a lot US English.

Note to self: it is disorientated, it is, it is, it is...

El Unicornio, mang

The average person spends the sum total of 7 hours saying disorientated in a lifetime, versus 5 hours for those who say disoriented. Think of all the things you could be doing with that extra time...

Given that it takes roughly a second to say 'my bad', that allows for 7,200 additional 'my bad's over the course of a human lifetime.  Which is exactly how I'd want to spend those two hours.

Buelligan

Well you'd better do something disgraceful then.  Or move in with someone.  That should do it.

Captain Z

Back when I were a lad, "bad" used to mean good. It were simpler times but you knew where you stood.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Captain Z on February 21, 2021, 09:52:46 PM
Back when I were a lad, "bad" used to mean good. It were simpler times but you knew where you stood.

...Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool. And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school.

Marner and Me

Quote from: Captain Z on February 21, 2021, 09:52:46 PM
Run DMC consider re-write

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Baby talk, like adults (actually let's include anyone aged over 3) who say 'poop'.

flotemysost

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 22, 2021, 12:32:23 PM
Baby talk, like adults (actually let's include anyone aged over 3) who say 'poop'.

My mate's dad used to refer to farting as "pooping" when his kids were very young. Cue plenty of confusion when they started school and loudly declared around their classmates that they'd just done a poop.

bomb_dog

touchingcloth

Ah, sorry, guys. "My bad" is my fault, I started saying it in school and it just caught on. This one's on me. My bad.