Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Just When Did You Get Old?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 21, 2021, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyfc

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 24, 2021, 10:53:25 AM
I could forgive Mansun but Suede? Come on man!

I'm a 30 year old man that has never heard of either of these bands.

El Unicornio, mang

I mentioned New Order to a friend not long ago and she said "who's that?". I was dumbfounded, but then thought "why should someone in their mid 20s know who New Order is?". They're just another band who I'm guessing has a fanbase largely consisting of people who got into them in the 80s and 90s. She likes stuff like Frank Zappa but only because her Dad played it, rather than being exposed via contemporary pop culture.

jamiefairlie

Another one - when I realised that, no matter how clear cut morally something seems, absolutely everything is more complicated than it appears.

Related to, never judge someone else's actions as you'll never know what you'd do if you'd experienced what they have.

Related to, every action has unintended consequences and some of them are 'good' (even from a 'bad' action) and some are 'bad' (even from a 'good' action).

Related to, doing nothing is a choice too and can be better than doing something.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 28, 2021, 10:43:41 PM

I mentioned New Order to a friend not long ago and she said "who's that?". I was dumbfounded, but then thought "why should someone in their mid 20s know who New Order is?". They're just another band who I'm guessing has a fanbase largely consisting of people who got into them in the 80s and 90s. She likes stuff like Frank Zappa but only because her Dad played it, rather than being exposed via contemporary pop culture.

Ironically, you'd maybe get more recognition these days (ha!) by saying they were Joy Division. Funny how that's turned around.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 28, 2021, 11:36:44 PM
Ironically, you'd maybe get more recognition these days (ha!) by saying they were Joy Division. Funny how that's turned around.
It is. I remember when I first got into Joy Division, aged 16 in 1997, and nobody I knew had heard of them. It being pre-internet and all that, they were just some band from what seemed years ago. But everyone knew New Order through 'World in Motion' and 'True Faith' (which had been a big hit again in 1994) at the least. My "in" to what Joy Division were/meant was a mention in Paul Morley's sleevenotes to a New Order 'Best Of' compilation and they seemed incredibly mysterious. I guess the films, numerous re-releases and the internet have helped make them the cultural touchstones they are now - perhaps at the cost, like you say, of New Order's contemporary profile. But then, I suppose the fact Ian Curtis is forever young looks better than a bunch of 60-somethings up on stage.

Quote from: Johnboy on February 25, 2021, 09:14:51 PM
I remember going to Wayne's World 2 in the cinema when it came out

and feeling like i wasn't  getting it at all while all around me younger viewers were laughing their heads off

I was 21

If it's any consolation, my grandmother offered to take me to the cinema one summer holiday and the only thing I wanted to see was Wayne's World. If you were baffled, imagine how a 75 year old woman felt.

poodlefaker

Had a craving for hot cross buns so decided to make some as we had ALL the ingredients in the kitchen cupboards. Yeast, flour, mixed spice, sultanas, candied peel, golden syrup, the lot. Some of it was a few years past its BBE date but still. Didn't have to buy a thing. Not only that but all the equipment: baking trays, greaseproof paper, cake rack, pastry brush. I am old.