Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:50:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Just When Did You Get Old?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 21, 2021, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Today, when I discovered Daft Punk were going for 28 YEARS.

Jasha

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 21, 2021, 10:00:07 PM
When Chart Music Podcast strays beyond 1988 and my heart sinks a bit as it's 'too modern'.

Friday night order a curry and settle down to TOTP2 on BBC 4, bollocks it's Betty Boo and Timmy Mallet

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: icehaven on February 22, 2021, 07:36:54 PM
Today, when I discovered Daft Punk were going for 28 YEARS.

Along those same lines, these comments posted on the "Get Lucky" (2013) YouTube video

QuoteThis song was such a big part of my childhood while I didn't even know they made it...

For real, waking up in summer going outside. Playing and gaming. Just enjoying life how it should be.

Tony Tony Tony

To paraphrase the late great Jeremy Hardy, the day I walked into Marks and Spencer, fondled a cardigan and thought hmmm good quality, I'll bet it's a nice fit, and such terrific value too.

dissolute ocelot

Some time around the age of 30 I started going to bed no later than midnight instead of staying up to 3 am for no reason.

Going on holiday by myself for the first time, having booked it all (27), and buying a Super Mop (early 30s).

Brian Freeze

To be honest, this thread isnt helping over much.

Ferris

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 22, 2021, 10:41:07 PM
Some time around the age of 30 I started going to bed no later than midnight instead of staying up to 3 am for no reason.

Going on holiday by myself for the first time, having booked it all (27), and buying a Super Mop (early 30s).

I've a super mop and a cracking vacuum as well. Really worth it.

Still struggling for a decent broom though.

Christ.

littlenell

When my 42nd birthday was a few days away, it struck me that I felt so much younger than 42 sounded. I had a good think about it, and realised, for the first time, that I've been here ages now.

Yussef Dent

The main sign for me is knowing that we're getting closer to every player that was in Championship Manager 97/98 being retired. Gigi Buffon is still going, I refuse to acknowledge Kazuyoshi Miura as I just think he's taking the piss a bit now.

Nobody Soup

In the past year I've consistently referred to

Miley cyrus as milly cyrus

Dua lipa as dewey leepy

Taylor swift as Taylor smith

So I'm guessing sometime around the last year.

Nobody Soup

Quote from: Yussef Dent on February 23, 2021, 03:28:38 AM
The main sign for me is knowing that we're getting closer to every player that was in Championship Manager 97/98 being retired. Gigi Buffon is still going, I refuse to acknowledge Kazuyoshi Miura as I just think he's taking the piss a bit now.

I used to put myself in champ as a player with my real age

Then I used to have to whack a few years off to make it realistic

Now I put myself in as a manager with my real age.

Mr Banlon

This year when I realised four of my six godchildren (who were born in the 2000s) are now adults. One of them is 'Drill' artist. A music genre I both hate, and don't understand.

Blinder Data

I'm 30 so I'm not old, but last summer I erroneously referred to peer-to-peer clothes-selling app Depop as 'bebop'. The youths around me squealed in delight.

Around the same time I met our new neighbours and realised I had more in common with and dressed similarly to their 50 year old selves instead of their early 20s children. Having a baby does add on the years, mind.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My friends' oldest kid can legally buy tobacco products. Not that they would, because stogies are for fogies, apparently.

Quote from: Nobody Soup on February 23, 2021, 03:58:47 AM

Dua lipa as dewey leepy

It's becoming increasingly common that I can't recall names at all. I am mildly worried about it, but it's yet to affect my quiz prowess.

Speaking of pop music and the like; I no longer fancy new singers and thespians, because they're all too young. Anyone under thirty is basically a child.

Alberon

One of our cats chased another of our cats in the garden this afternoon. I ran after the aggressor tripped and fell down a couple of steps to the patio.

So I've grazed both my knees, badly bruised my hand and my cheek and smashed my watch. Now I'm propped up in front of the telly in a dressing gown[nb]What my telly is doing in a dressing gown I don't know. Eyethankyow.[/nb].

If I wasn't old before I definitely am now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sorry to hear that, winced reading it. Buy an air horn for future convenience

And ear defenders

Jasha

Odd pleasure in calling anyone under 35 as "you kids" though

Jockice

A couple of people I know who are at least a decade younger than me and I knew as little kids because I was friends with their older siblings are now grandparents. I find that very strange.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Jockice on February 23, 2021, 08:27:31 PM
A couple of people I know who are at least a decade younger than me and I knew as little kids because I was friends with their older siblings are now grandparents. I find that very strange.

When 'old' women catch your eye and you realize they are assessing you as potential romantic interest.

ZoyzaSorris

I'm sure one day my hands looked normal and the next they looked like a pair of desiccated leather gloves stitched from the skin of Lonesome George's ballbag*. Amongst many other signs, that tipped me off about steadily impending grave.

*I feel duty-bound here to point out that testudines, despite sounding very testicular, do not have external balls and hence no bags to nestle them in either, mores the pity. Substitute L/George's cloaca chamois, if your mental image requires greater anatomical verisimilitude.

ElTwopo

I think I officially got old when I realised I had to actually look at the TV remote to press the buttons I wanted (and even then, only after looking over the top of my glasses whilst bringing it closer).

When I was a kid I knew where everything was on the remote without looking. Mute, Subtitles, 3 - all the buttons. Want the football scores on Ceefax? Chuck it over to little ElTopo and BANG! It's 1-0. Fancy a bit of Bamboozle? CRASH! Recipes, Mum? TWAT! There's your Delia shite. There are a lot more buttons now, obviously. And it's so big you can't even shove it up your arse.

flotemysost

Dua lipa as dewey leepy

Ah, these aren't too bad. The woman who managed the student union shop on campus when I was at uni (who seemed ancient to us at the time, but was probably only in her early fifties) thought Tinie Tempah was called Teenie Weenie.

And I remember my ninety-something granddad referring to the Red Hot Chili Peppers as (I think) the Black Magic Peppers, which was actually quite sweet and also surprising given his tastes chronologically stopped around Glenn Miller.

non capisco

My nan used to insist the lead singer of Queen was called Freddie Miracle.

Deliberately getting bands/singers' names wrong is a classic dad joke move and is a genuine sign you are definitely past it. Hence me driving my nephew into near fits of rage by calling her Billie Eyelash. I had to suffer 'The Manic Street Sweepers', after all.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Of course, her real name is Billie Piper.

checkoutgirl

Today I genuinely considered what the fuck I'm going to do about health insurance. The public service here isn't up to much and in the next decade or two odds on I'll contract, develop or fall prey to something. 42 years old.

About 5 years ago instead of enjoying scantily clad young women like any red blooded creepy perverted man worth his salt I remember disapproving and wishing they'd put some more clothes on ferchristsake. 37 years old.

Being around teenagers is very ageing as they usually think anyone over 30 is just a massive twat. So they're best avoided. 40 years old.

Realising if I ever go to a camping music festival live performance gig again it will probably feel like a big upheaval and then thinking I'll just have a cup o tea instead. 36 years old.

I've got drunk once this year so far, partly because it's getting more hassle than it's worth physically, mentally and medically. 42 years old.

Seeing telly and not even knowing who the singers are. Neo? Never heard of him. 20 years ago I still hated Britney Spears but at least I knew who she was. Such and such from JLS, I'll have to take your word for it. 30 years old.

Being the old prog head still playing 16B and Ed Rush and Optical tunes from 20 odd years ago because those genres peaked in the mid 90s to early 2000s. 37 to 42 years old.

On so on and so forth.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on February 22, 2021, 10:10:11 PM
To paraphrase the late great Jeremy Hardy, the day I walked into Marks and Spencer, fondled a cardigan and thought hmmm good quality, I'll bet it's a nice fit, and such terrific value too.
never quite got over him dying tbh. maybe that makes me old.

57. no age

jamiefairlie

Realising that hotel rooms are inferior, in every important way, to what you have in your own home, and you're paying for it too.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Jockice on February 21, 2021, 01:18:14 PM
And since then having a conversation with a woman in her early 20s who despite being born and brought up in Sheffield had never heard of Jarvis Cocker and only vaguely knew that there had been a band called Pulp.

Call me old fashioned but I think there's a difference between getting on and an individual young person's ignorance. If there was another kid standing beside them who said yeah I like Jarvis and listen to his radio show you'd be confused.

checkoutgirl

I remember being annoyed by my mother when she said I was middle aged when I turned 35 as that term had always meant 50ish to me.

checkoutgirl

Dua lipa as dewey leepy

When I was a kid and used to laugh at my mother mixing up my sister's names. Then I started doing it a couple of years ago.