Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Are we really on the home stretch?

Started by Chedney Honks, February 21, 2021, 01:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

I fear people are jumping the gun a bit, quite a few mates of mine are having people over for pissups and posting pics on Facebook/instagram - traffic apoears to be almost back to normal - it was a nice sunny day yesterday and there was loads of people milling about

SpiderChrist

Got a lot of mates and acquaintances that work in entertainment/events/music and there's loads of them getting well giddy about a return to live music. I understand their enthusiasm, cos it's their living, but none of them appear to think that opening all the schools up (without compulsory testing and masks) will have the outcome it had previously. Isn't the definition of insanity repeating the same actions but expecting different results? I'm an old bastard now (55 next birthday, if you must know) and have long felt out of step with whom I share this island, but I have never felt so out of place (or out of touch) with these people than I do now. It's like the whole country has gone stark staring batshit.

Got an email yesterday telling me that the gig I was originally booked to play at in October 2020 (and subsequently shifted to April 2021) has now been rescheduled for this October instead. I'm not convinced it'll happen, and I'm even less convinced I want to do it.

tl/dr: doesn't feel like the home stretch to me

Pranet

I go back and forth quite sharply between optimism and pessimism. But if what wooders said above is being repeated more generally then we have an opportunity for plenty more disease and death.

And that's without the possibility of mutations or the fact that we don't know how long protection via the vaccine will last.

Chedney Honks

Reassuring that at some point there'll be no human race left so it'll be on the way out then at the very least.

Bazooka

It's getting warmer and we don't live in a predominantly collectivist society, not wasting what brain cells I have left to be optimistic, as those two factors make it fighting fire with fire.

Fambo Number Mive

It's good that it's so sunny this weekend as it allows people to get more Vitamin D and I wonder if some of these gatherings outside would have just taken place inside if it hadn't been so nice and sunny.

On the other hand I went out for a long walk yesterday to get some exercise and Vitamin D and barely anyone was adhering to the 2 metre distancing rule (I was as much as I could). And I saw the bus go past my window just now and it was half full, with everyone bunching up rather than spreading out and someone at the back of the bus with their mask down over their chin.

Who knows, but I don't feel very positive given Johnson is still in charge.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: SpiderChrist on February 28, 2021, 10:41:21 AM
Got a lot of mates and acquaintances that work in entertainment/events/music and there's loads of them getting well giddy about a return to live music. I understand their enthusiasm, cos it's their living, but none of them appear to think that opening all the schools up (without compulsory testing and masks) will have the outcome it had previously. Isn't the definition of insanity repeating the same actions but expecting different results? I'm an old bastard now (55 next birthday, if you must know) and have long felt out of step with whom I share this island, but I have never felt so out of place (or out of touch) with these people than I do now. It's like the whole country has gone stark staring batshit.

Got an email yesterday telling me that the gig I was originally booked to play at in October 2020 (and subsequently shifted to April 2021) has now been rescheduled for this October instead. I'm not convinced it'll happen, and I'm even less convinced I want to do it.

Is it all that Doomlines / Sheffield stuff?  Good for you if so there's some cracking top excellent stuff coming out of there.

I'm seeing similar; September seems to be the line in the sand with just a few booking in for August but then a surge for September and beyond. 

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 28, 2021, 01:06:19 PM
Is it all that Doomlines / Sheffield stuff?  Good for you if so there's some cracking top excellent stuff coming out of there.

Nah it's a smaller scale thing - album launch for a Cambridge band.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 21, 2021, 01:03:17 PM
Dealing with people who think that the scientists are cunts who stopped them going the pub

As a scientist who really loves going to the pub this upsets me too.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 28, 2021, 12:53:35 PM
It's good that it's so sunny this weekend as it allows people to get more Vitamin D and I wonder if some of these gatherings outside would have just taken place inside if it hadn't been so nice and sunny.

On the other hand I went out for a long walk yesterday to get some exercise and Vitamin D and barely anyone was adhering to the 2 metre distancing rule (I was as much as I could). And I saw the bus go past my window just now and it was half full, with everyone bunching up rather than spreading out and someone at the back of the bus with their mask down over their chin.

Who knows, but I don't feel very positive given Johnson is still in charge.

You won't produce any vitamin d at this time of year in England no matter how sunny it is.

mobias

I'm heading back to work tomorrow having been furloughed since the start of January. Mixed feelings about it. I went out for a walk earlier here in Edinburgh and it was so busy everywhere. It reminds me of the start of last July when
we all came out of lockdown and it was almost as if nothing had ever happened and we seemed to go back to normality all too quickly. Thats what worries me. So many scientists I follow on Twitter are saying they're optimistic now, which of course is a good thing. I'm not sure why I'm so pessimistic. I suppose because this country is expert in screwing things up. Also, this whole situation seems like its all too keen to throw a curveball just when you think its going one way.

I'll allow myself to be optimistic later in Spring I think.   

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on February 28, 2021, 04:33:35 PM
You won't produce any vitamin d at this time of year in England no matter how sunny it is.

Just tilt your head back to get the 45 degree angle

George Oscar Bluth II

Schools back on Monday, if this was a terrible idea when would the data start showing us it was a terrible fucking idea?

Couple of weeks time maybe?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on March 06, 2021, 02:16:42 PM
Schools back on Monday, if this was a terrible idea when would the data start showing us it was a terrible fucking idea?

We need a lost generation just to make the future exciting.

wooders1978

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on March 06, 2021, 02:16:42 PM

I'd give it a fortnight, good that they didn't let the fact this sparked the last sharp rise in cases put them off

Bence Fekete

I'll sleep better knowing the state indoctrination programs are reactivated

The Mollusk

The overarching sentiment nudged in by the government and then waved about like a mad fucking huge flag by everycunt is "things are starting to look positive now and that basically means we've fixed it so let's get back to absolute normal this very instant". People don't give a fuck. Vaccines starting to roll out and the weather's getting nice? You know what that means lads, FESTIVALS.

Pinball

As young people will be the last to get vaccinated, and are the ones who (mostly) go to festivals, we'll be cutting it a bit fine, I reckon.

More broadly, I'm optimistic. The curves are heading in the right direction, and even if mutations occur and spread, the updated vaccines can be quickly tested (antibody response only) and approved (according to MHRA). Everything crossed.

My main worry is a too-quick reversal of lockdown...

jamiefairlie

It's not over til the fat lady sings, it's a game of 90 minutes Clive, Keep going right through the tape.....have they zero knowledge of these common pearls of wisdom?

votestuffer

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 08, 2021, 05:11:41 AM
It's not over til the fat lady sings, it's a game of 90 minutes Clive, Keep going right through the tape.....have they zero knowledge of these common pearls of wisdom?
The only 'sport' Johnson and his cronies know is British Bulldog, and none of those apply.

olliebean

Quote from: votestuffer on March 08, 2021, 07:05:28 AM
The only 'sport' Johnson and his cronies know is British Bulldog, and none of those apply.

That, Whiff Whaff, and the Biscuit Game.

Some cunt on the radio asking people how they are doing "in this post-COVID world".

I'm sure this rush to pretend everything is just fine isn't going to backfire horribly.

MrMrs

Norton Canes

Quote from: Pinball on March 07, 2021, 09:17:30 PM
As young people will be the last to get vaccinated, and are the ones who (mostly) go to festivals, we'll be cutting it a bit fine, I reckon

This. Both Canes progeny have already planned festival visits over the summer so I reckon it'll be a case of "Oh, sorry Norton, made it through 18 months of this shit but got caught by the third wave"

shiftwork2

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 09, 2021, 09:24:26 AM
Some cunt on the radio asking people how they are doing "in this post-COVID world".

Hey the boomers are safe so it's all over, buster.

El Unicornio, mang

I've only just realised that it's called Covid-19 because the variant started in 2019 and not because it's the 19th variant. *dons dunce cap*

Drygate

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 09, 2021, 09:24:26 AM

I'm sure this rush to pretend everything is just fine isn't going to backfire horribly.

To be fair, unless the government decide to do another lock down or anything like that, it is over.

Sure people might be dying, but if Boris decides the matters closed, then for all intents and purposes, it is.

Pinball

Personally, I'll wait to be vaccinated and have a positive home antibody test before sallying forth.