Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:06:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edgar Wright directing The Running Man remake

Started by surreal, February 21, 2021, 01:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

https://www.darkhorizons.com/edgar-wright-to-helm-new-running-man/

Excited for this, I think he'll be perfect to go back and work from the original material but still maintain enough humour and an edge to it.  Be interesting to follow the casting of this.  It's going to be difficult to get our of Arnie's shadow regardless of how good it is.

Trying to think of other examples of movies that have been remade after the original version was considered a campy joke of a film and actually got done right?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

surreal

Bazooka

I don't like anything he's ever done, personally. But always an open mind.

bgmnts

Love Edgar Wright's films personally, even the ones I dont like have something about them.

If he sticks to the source material and its not just another shit 80s nostalgia effort I'll definitely give it a watch. Would love to the full on depressing ending. Unsure if Wright can do that kind of film but I'll be happy to watch it.

El Unicornio, mang

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz never really clicked with me, not really my kind of humour/style, but I liked Baby Driver and I like his overall approach to filmmaking so I'm quite hopeful. I mean, the original isn't a masterpiece, it's just cheesy 80s Arnie nonsense that I love more for nostalgic reasons.

Sebastian Cobb

Much like Total Recall or the Pink Panther reboot, it just seems unnecessary as it was nailed the first time.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2021, 04:32:27 PM
Much like Total Recall or the Pink Panther reboot, it just seems unnecessary as it was nailed the first time.

For the reasons stated I actually think it would be good to have a remake that was faithful to the source material, and have a different kind of film.

PlanktonSideburns

love the miserable furious tone of the book. would love to see someone completley barking like craig zahler have a go on it

mel gibson actually, changed my mind

Goldentony

always wondered what Running Man would be like if it was complete fucking shit

mothman

Series 7: The Contenders but with more pop culture references.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Goldentony on February 21, 2021, 04:53:22 PM
always wondered what Running Man would be like if it was complete fucking shit

yup.. No need for a remake, especially from this has-been.

Gulftastic

Not a remake. It's another version of the source material.

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on February 21, 2021, 04:34:10 PM
For the reasons stated I actually think it would be good to have a remake that was faithful to the source material, and have a different kind of film.

So basically a more po-faced version that works as a moody scifi but is let down by being far less fun than the 80's one?

chveik

there really is a shortage in stephen king adaptations these days

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2021, 05:22:31 PM
So basically a more po-faced version that works as a moody scifi but is let down by being far less fun than the 80's one?

Well yeah would be nice to have a really depressing film to balance out the absurd Arnie vehicle.

I love Running Man and reference it at least once a week I'm sure, but would love a semi faithful adaptation.

Goldentony

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 21, 2021, 05:13:47 PM
Not a remake. It's another version of the source material.

really weird, short film about a cokehead crashing a helicopter might be alright to be fair

beanheadmcginty

I hope they get Mick Fleetwood back for it. And Jesse Ventura.

Goldentony

go deeper into the lore of Climbing For Dollars

dissolute ocelot

It's an idea that's been filmed lots of times, killing people for TV ratings, almost Battle Royale or Hunger Games with adults, it's misleading to consider it a remake. If it's better than Gamer, it's doing OK.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2021, 05:22:31 PM

Nah. Edgar Wright doesn't do po-faced. His films too frenetic and meta to be po-faced.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if, in a year or so, Wright leaves the project due to "creative differences".

greenman

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 23, 2021, 07:42:01 PM
Nah. Edgar Wright doesn't do po-faced. His films too frenetic and meta to be po-faced.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if, in a year or so, Wright leaves the project due to "creative differences".

It does seem a bit of an odd choice though as Wrights films are more towards "joyous" than cynical.

I would question the idea that "serious" films are politically more scathing though, the Robocop and Total Recall remakes for me example I think are much less critical of the established order than Verhoeven's originals and the Running Man is the same for me, its maybe a cartoonish world but where the US is a facist hell hole and the entertainment industry is full of evil sociopathic yuppies who Arnie teams up with a guy who looks like Che to defeat.

Those 80's films aren't really just based on "one bad egg" kind of villians but on pointing out the flaws in capitalist culture as a whole.

Retinend

The original is considered "a joke of a film" now? I loved it growing up - it was one of my favourite Schwarzenegger films. The notion of KILLING people for MONEY as an audience CLAPPED absolutely blew my teenaged mind. Obviously, with adult eyes it's very tongue-in-cheek, but, as Tim Heidecker said "teenagers need deep shit too".

Wright is a good action director, as well as having the comedy chops to pull off the combination of violence and satire. Wright up my alley.

phantom_power

His next film, One Night in SoHo, sounds a bit darker than his previous films, and he is still pretty early in his career to be pigeon-holed, despite his other films so far having a similar feel

Gulftastic

Quote from: Retinend on February 25, 2021, 11:08:25 AM
The original is considered "a joke of a film" now? I loved it growing up - it was one of my favourite Schwarzenegger films. The notion of KILLING people for MONEY as an audience CLAPPED absolutely blew my teenaged mind. Obviously, with adult eyes it's very tongue-in-cheek, but, as Tim Heidecker said "teenagers need deep shit too".

Not to me. It's part of Ahnuld's run of shit but brilliant films from that era. It was right at the end of that phase, before nearly every film had to have him as the hero chumming around with some yank brat (or brats).

Mr Trumpet

The way Fireball in the original says "last season's losers" is one of my favourite line readings in all of cinema. It's pretty much the only thing he says in the entire film as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQiNYtkwuyw

Blumf

Never 100% got on with any of Wright's stuff, so not looking forwards to this.

"That's the ticket! No pain, no gain"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazUZz3K6IY

Attila

Quote from: Retinend on February 25, 2021, 11:08:25 AM

Wright is a good action director, as well as having the comedy chops to pull off the combination of violence and satire. Wright up my alley.

I'm curious to see who would play the big television executive -- for American audiences, Richard Dawson was a great in-joke, as he was riding high at the time as a beloved game-show host (Family Feud). It would be the equivilent of casting Bruce Forsythe or Chris Tarrant (depending on your era) as the evil head of game-show programming.