Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:53:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is anyone else finding they are spending more than ever in lockdown?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 21, 2021, 03:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I'm fortunate enough to still have a job so doing better than many but I'm still concerned at how much I'm spending in lockdown.

Part of is that everything seems to be going up in price, aside from my wages. Food seems to be more expensive than before and I'm trying to make sure I eat healthier which costs more money. Also, the only walkable grocery store is a small independent which charges more than major supermarkets (and has no loyalty card) but I haven't been to the big supermarkets since last March as I don't want to get the bus there and back.

Secondly, there is so little to do and most of the means of filling time cost money. I buy a lot of books but with the charity shops closed I'm paying full price online. I have a Netflix and Prime subscription and am running out of things to watch on both of them (and a lot of the good stuff on Prime still costs money). Did have a Britbox subscription but I've cancelled that to save money and because there isn't much new on there.

As I live on my own I can't play board games or anything like that and while I do go out for a walk sometimes it can't fill more than a few hours. If I don't spend money on books and Tv shows to distract myself, I'm alone with my anxious and negative thoughts. UBI would help everyone as as well as helping keep those who are struggling to afford essentials going those who can afford essentials would have more money to buy things to do while inside. But we don't even get a one-off stimulus cheque here.

I've probably posted this thread before but I can barely remember what day it is some days. As I say I know I am doing a lot better than many people but it is concerning how money seems to be going out faster than ever.

bgmnts

Yeah I have a real problem with saving money as it is but covid really hit me for six.

We are bred to be consumers and to spend spend spend to stimulate the economy or whatever the fuck. One can at least take solace in the fact that its society poison that makes it hard to save.

And I also understand not even noting time, chronic unemployment does that to you too, days become meaningless. Its a grim life. Enjoy the little things.

El Unicornio, mang

I've spent quite a bit but it's almost all things which have resale value (electronics, camera lens, guitar etc) and have kept me sane/busy in lockdown. I've saved well over a grand that I would have spent on alcohol, taxis etc on nights out and however much I would have spent on a holiday as well, none of which would leave me with anything to show for it, so it probably evens out.

chveik

buying second hand books online could save you some money. for films you could try mubi, the first 3 months are pretty cheap iirc

Pranet

To be honest I've been saving money. Not going anywhere, not doing anything. Not even browsing in shops at the moment.

Ref books- don't know how it is where you are, but can still arrange to pick up books from the library here. Limited times though so maybe not much good if you are working (I work just round the corner so suits me).

DrGreggles

I'm spending about a grand a month less than normal, which probably just indicates that I usually spend too much on pubs and gigs.

Pranet

If I spent £1000 a month less than normal I would very nearly be spending a negative amount of money. God I get paid fuck all.

Dex Sawash

Income off 30ish% which offsets any lower spending. Started working on VW/Audi (in addition to Volvo and Saab been doing since 1987) and that is like printing your own money. Should be good once cunts are driving again.

Johnny Yesno

Fambo Number Mive

Nice one, thank you! I'll check that out.

Hope it's got Cum: The Board Game on there (see HS Art)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 21, 2021, 04:38:50 PM
I'm spending about a grand a month less than normal, which probably just indicates that I usually spend too much on pubs and gigs.

About the same for me but because of no trips or commuting to work.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI'm trying to make sure I eat healthier which costs more money

If you're prepared to batch cook and freeze stuff and have the time, this really shouldn't be the case.

If you're on a really tight budget I recommend tooling up with a comprehensive range of spices and herbs (Probably £20 initial outlay if you know where to look) that give you a bit of versatility, then getting keeping these in on rotation from which you can make cheap nutritious meals. This is just for example:

Bag of carrots: 35p
Bag of potatoes: 80p
Bag of brown onions: 45p
Celery: £1
3 x bell peppers: £1
Spinach: £1
Canned tomatoes x 3: £1
Tomato puree tube: 40p
Vegetable stock cubes x 12 = £1
Can of chickpeas: 35p
3 x garlic cloves: 60p
Can of kidney beans/alternative bean of your choice: 35p
Garlic bread stick: 35p
Chickpea flour 1kg (trust me on this one, one of the best bang for buck purchases you can make and lasts ages): £1.30
Pitta breads: 35p
Pasta: 20p
Lentils: £1

(Obviously this is just a base of supplies that act as a platform for constructing many savoury dishes from which you can add whatever else you like, meat, cheese, olives, pesto, meat substitutes, etc and I appreciate you also need to buy fruit, yoghurt, juice, cereal, milk, etc)

Average spend is £15 a week on food, cooking up a storm.

To answer the wider topic, no, I have been saving several hundred pounds a month more during lockdown. There are pointless luxuries I could buy but I have plenty to listen to, read, watch. Don't need new clothes, don't need any new electronics or games, and don't see that they would make lockdown any less shit. So it's just a question of doing laundry, buying groceries and paying the bills. Been seeing numbers in my bank account that I haven't ever seen before. Almost paralysed by choice fatigue which actually focuses my mind to understand that I clearly don't need to spend it, helps keep the pile growing.

Billy

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 21, 2021, 10:39:02 PM
To answer the wider topic, no, I have been saving several hundred pounds a month more during lockdown. There are pointless luxuries I could buy but I have plenty to listen to, read, watch. Don't need new clothes, don't need any new electronics or games, and don't see that they would make lockdown any less shit. So it's just a question of doing laundry, buying groceries and paying the bills. Been seeing numbers in my bank account that I haven't ever seen before. Almost paralysed by choice fatigue which actually focuses my mind to understand that I clearly don't need to spend it, helps keep the pile growing.

This is the same for me. A couple days before charity shops closed I found one selling DVDs for 25p each - almost all Oscar winners/famous ones I hadn't seen before - and bought almost the lot of them, and I still haven't got through them all several months later. I'm not a Netflix/streaming user so they've been really helpful.

I live in an area usually populated by offices and tourists, so the several Tesco Express/Sainsbury Locals all over the place have had tons of discounted foodstuff I've been enjoying and have helped me cut down on the fast food I was downing to/from work this time last year. I'm still on 80% furlough from my job so hoping that lasts until it returns.

peanutbutter

I've spent a lot but it was mostly stuff I was gonna buy regardless. The bulk of the more expensive purchases were bought used and will have massive resale value for a while yet. The more disposable purchases have been offset (for now) by the crypto bubble.
Biggest drain has been wacky side project bullshit; for example, they didn't cost much but did I really need 2 Kinects?

As someone who totally evaded buying lunches at work and using the commute as an excuse to walk a load I didn't make the obvious gains loads did from working at home.

SteveDave

I stopped drinking on January the 1st because a) I was getting fatter b) was spending £15 a day on cans from the corner shop and c) I was buying too many records/books when I was in drink from said cans (including one record that came from America but was free postage...I presumed I'd be hit with a massive customs charge but when it arrived a month after I bought it, there was nothing extra. In fairness their eBay handle included UK and I didn't check to see where they were based- North Carolina).

I was hoping the booze was what was causing my massive weight gain but it turns out it was my gluttony mixed with my refusal to do any exercise. 

imitationleather

Blue Jam

I paid off a credit card and have managed to save up £2000. Saving's getting boring though, fuckit, been buying stuff instead now:

Bought loads of bike stuff but probably saved more than I've spent by not getting the bus to work.

Right now I've just bought some running gear. Bought a few things from the Adidas outlet store, all reduced but still not really cheap. TK Maxx is usually much cheaper for that sort of thing but the last time I ordered from them the Hermes courier left the parcel "in the porch" and it got nicked, and Adidas deliver via Royal Mail which is reassuring. I could also have saved money by buying from Sports Direct but fuck that, I'm not giving my money to Mike Ashley. As with the cycling, the cost of buying new running gear is probably more than offset by no longer paying for a gym membership. Whatever, I'm looking forward to a nice new bundle of scally clothes.

Thinking of getting an Oculus Rift too but will really have to see what the situation with my job is. My contract might be getting renewed, it might not. Meh, I'm sure it will be fine.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 21, 2021, 10:39:02 PMAlmost paralysed by choice fatigue which actually focuses my mind to understand that I clearly don't need to spend it, helps keep the pile growing.

My Mum and some of my friends are always complaining that there's "nothing to watch" and that they can't find anything to do. I have the opposite problem, so many things to watch, read, listen to, play, do, and I probably spend as much time trying to decide as I do actually doing the things. I mean, if I only had Google street view or access to wikipedia and nothing else I could probably keep myself happily occupied for weeks. So I have bought stuff in lockdown but I already have so many films, albums, TV shows (not to mention all the stuff that's on YouTube, etc) that I can't imagine spending any of the money I'm saving on more of it.

Blue Jam

I'm finding I have too little to do but far too much to watch. I've watched a lot of TV over lockdown, including all 86 episodes of The Sopranos, and there is still too much left.

Running out of games to play though, and would really like to get out and do outdoorsy stuff more. I've been running and cycling but I don't dare go for a hike in case I get arrested. Been "driving" round Arthur's Seat on Forza Horizon 4 instead but as uncannily realistic as it is I would still prefer to get out to the real thing and watch the otters.

Really, really miss playing snooker as well. Been watching absolutely fuckloads of snooker on TV and just hoping my local snooker club will survive lockdown.

flotemysost

I guess my biggest lockdown-enabled extravagance has been living on my own for the first time, and subsequently the following conversation with the council tax helpline:

"Hi, when I set up my account recently I applied for the single person discount - please could you make sure that's taken off my bill?"
"We already have."
"Oh."

I'm definitely incredibly grateful to even have the option to make that change, as I'm sure there are many people who would love to be able to live on their own but can't afford it. Lockdown loneliness/working from home/complete lack of normal social life notwithstanding, I've liked it so far. But it's not really financially sustainable for me in the long term, so I'll be going back to a flatshare in the summer - but this time with the knowledge that I'll be working from home/living under at least some form of restrictions for the time being, and so choosing a place that's more compatible with that (unlike the flat I was in for most of 2020).

Been ordering a lot more takeaways than I normally would - partly because it's one of the only ways to "explore" a new area during lockdown (and there are some banging options where I live at the moment), and I want to support local restaurants, but also I'm just really bored of cooking and it's a little thing to look forward to in my otherwise very dull existence.

Aside from that I don't think I've changed my spending habits hugely. Upped my donations to various organisations. I mainly buy clothes from charity shops these days anyway so that hasn't been an option in a while, and been cutting my own hair since April. Finding it incredibly tough to focus on any sort of creative/productive "hobbies" right now so haven't been buying anything relating to that, really - going out for walks is free, though I feel like I need to buy some more music to soundtrack them, as I'm in a bit of a rut with my listening at the moment.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 28, 2021, 04:33:01 PM

Running out of games to play though, and would really like to get out and do outdoorsy stuff more. I've been running and cycling but I don't dare go for a hike in case I get arrested. Been "driving" round Arthur's Seat on Forza Horizon 4 instead but as uncannily realistic as it is I would still prefer to get out to the real thing and watch the otters.

I know what you mean, the realism almost makes me want to get out more as it's a very strong reminder of those real life things, but lacking the little subtleties which can't be fully replicated. I've been playing Assetto Corsa on VR with a wheel/pedal setup, driving free roam around California canyons and it's very realistic but at the same time I'm thinking "I really want to do this for real*, with all the extra sensations real life has to offer". And also I get motion sickness after about 10 minutes...

*Not that I have a Lamborghini and access to the California canyons anyway, but...

mobias

I spent almost a grand on a new graphics card for my PC at the start of the year and last week I spent £700 on a new motherboard and CPU. I've justified it all on the grounds that even after lockdown ends I'm still not going out and with any luck I'm going to spend the rest of my life travelling the world in flight simulator in VR. Thats the plan anyway.

thenoise

If you are worried how to fill all your time i recommend having a 2 year old. Wont help you save money though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: flotemysost on February 28, 2021, 06:55:58 PM
been cutting my own hair since April.

I think I last had a salon haircut in January 2020. I just remember I was well overdue a haircut when lockdown began. Not been doing too badly though, got some proper hairdressing shears and some proper metal clips because the plastic ones just slide out of my ultra-fine baby hair. I certainly don't miss being charged fifty quid a pop for "a bit off the ends".

I've also been cutting Mr Jam's hair with clippers and a comb and the hairdressing shears and I've found that immensely satisfying. I just love getting it perfectly even. I feel like a sculptor or something.

dissolute ocelot

I'm spending less on clothes and entertainment (because not going out) and more on craft supplies and food. Pretty sure I'm saving money overall, but there have been times it's got a bit silly, just in terms of buying lots of little things rather than huge items. I just bought myself a new kettle and spent £30 on online tea. I'm sure I've been spending a lot more on Xmas and birthday presents with not seeing people too.

flotemysost

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 01, 2021, 03:06:29 PM
I'm spending less on clothes and entertainment (because not going out) and more on craft supplies and food. Pretty sure I'm saving money overall, but there have been times it's got a bit silly, just in terms of buying lots of little things rather than huge items. I just bought myself a new kettle and spent £30 on online tea. I'm sure I've been spending a lot more on Xmas and birthday presents with not seeing people too.

Yes, I'm getting through coffee at a rapid pace and I keep buying it from the bougie shop near my flat that sells stuff from local companies, because that feels less evil than buying a non-Fairtrade Lavazza brick, but it sure is more expensive too. And while I'm there I'll normally chuck in a few beers from one of the local breweries as well. I do genuinely want to support local/small businesses, but that justification's been doing some heavy lifting re: my spending by this point.

Fuck it though. I'm luckier than many to have any sort of disposable income at the moment, I'd rather it went to small business than yer Bezoses and the like.

Same re: birthday and Christmas presents as well, I've splashed out on a few big vouchers, subscriptions and the like for family - which in a way feels horribly cynical ("I can't be with you in person but here's some dosh to numerically quantify how much I miss you!"), but hopefully it's stuff they've made use of and enjoyed. My family have never been big on expensive material "things" presents anyway, and it's not like you can take someone out for a nice dinner to to see a gig or anything at the moment, so it feels OK.

Blue Jam

Quote from: flotemysost on March 02, 2021, 12:16:30 AM
I do genuinely want to support local/small businesses, but that justification's been doing some heavy lifting re: my spending by this point.

Fuck it though. I'm luckier than many to have any sort of disposable income at the moment, I'd rather it went to small business than yer Bezoses and the like.

I've bought quite a lot off Amazon. I feel a bit bad about it but as I have detailed elsewhere, I have ordered stuff from other retailers and small businesses and had no end of arseache from it. When you order from Amazon you just know your order will actually arrive, with the correct items, all in one piece and with nothing missing. And if there was a problem you could get a refund or replacement sharpish. When I order from another retailer and see "Your package will be delivered by Hermes/DPD" my heart sinks and I make a mental not to not order from them again.

Just seen another Kaweco fountain pen I want. Also available as a mechanical pencil and I kind of need one of those. Found it for £15 too. Fuckit...

SpiderChrist

Discogs and Little Biggy vendors are getting most of my spare cash. This is why I don't want to start paying £100+ a month again just to get to sit in an office with a bunch of cunts I don't like very much.

Blinder Data

No, I'm saving more than ever, really. Bunging loads of my income into pots and only buying essentials, like fountain pens.

This is a fountain pen forum now.

Cuellar

I feel like I'm spending more, because I'm buying more 'big' items (pc components, home gym equipment) that I normally probably wouldn't be buying. However I'm spending a fucksight less on the everyday stuff that probably all amounts to a lot more per month than these occasional 'big' ticket items.

So yeah, saving like a cunt.