Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is anyone else finding they are spending more than ever in lockdown?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 21, 2021, 03:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsavedLatin

I like Cuellar, I feel that I am spending more. Partly this is attitudinal; until the start of all this, the ancestral fear of the poorhouse was very strong in me, exacerbated by years of living in London on absolutely shit publishing industry money (I am now on slightly less shit money these days, but only slightly). Being tight has long been my way of life.

Still, even I could see after a few months that I wasn't spending either on boring stuff like the commute, crap Pret lunches etc., nor on my avowed pleasures like gigs and travel, while I certainly have been fucking miserable at times this past year -- so I've found I'm considerably more free with spaffing twenty quid if I want to and I think it'll help ring the lockdown changes, rather than ruminating on the purchase for weeks beforehand. I am mostly finding the lack of anxiety with spending quite freeing, though I do still get plenty of vertigo-like dizziness around my fear that I'm getting to be a spendthrift.

Sebastian Cobb

Spending less as no pubs/cinema/gigs. Shopping is more organised with delivery (although offset by topping up on bread, cheese milk etc from the tesco express).

Less on home booze too as I've been homebrewing.

Bought a bit more crap but far less than I'd spend on road.

Zetetic

Comparing 2020 to 2019:
Train costs down by 50% which is a massive positive contribution. (Another £100 saved on buses.)

Food costs down by almost 15%. Within that, somewhat embarrassingly, cafe spending down by 50% and alcohol costs are up by 25% (despite only going to the pub twice since March 2020 or something like that).

Computer games up compared to 2019, but not really compared to 2018.

Spending massively up in the first few months of 2021 though, mostly through having taken a year of lockdown to convince me to sort out some computer stuff.

Retinend

Definitely on par. I don't spend as much money on beer or transport but I'm always treating myself to little bits and pieces from Bezos's bazaar.

Retinend

i helped my uncle jack off a horse. he was in good hands as I was very experienced at helping people off horses.

Gulftastic

I'm spending a lot less. I've never had such a healthy bank balance and I'm one month from all my credit cards being paid off. When this is all over, I'm buying a new cooker, fridge and washing machine. Living the dream.